Sunless Skies

Well damn, I don’t think anyone was expecting that. What does everyone else think? I missed the EGX Show, so I all I’ve done is read the Blog. On the one hand this is sort of exciting and a really neat concept. On the other hand though it’s a HUGE change.

My biggest question though?
Is this moving the whole plot forward for Fallen London as a setting? Or is this some sort of alternate timeline?
edited by WireWolf on 9/24/2016

I admit I was wondering the same thing myself. Sunless Sea expanded Fallen London’s world - this seems more like a replacement.

Hence why it’s got me chasing my tail. It’s actually a REALLY neat concept that I’ve even wondered about more then once after [color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]going through the Avid Horizon in Sunless Sea (I wrote done a broad spectrum of ideas elsewhere, had some fun playing around with it.) But also I’m a bit worried what this does to Fallen London as a setting, I love the gaslight fantasy world of the Neath and this big of a shakeup is worrisome. [/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]
Also a little disappointed as I guess the Castles in the Roof Expansion from the old Kickstarter isn’t going to get done. (I was crossing my fingers hoping that sales would have been good enough to warrant it after Zubmarine.) [/color][li]
edited by WireWolf on 9/24/2016

I’m also a bit worried, since this feels like it could act as the &quotword of god&quot ending to all our FL characters. I’m also not sure how easy it is to make a game about the High Wilderness without it being a clump of spoilers to new players of FL and SS. But screw it, FBG’s got a great crew figuring out all the problems, I’ll just concentrate on being excited about tilting my vanes and zooming into the void.

What I really, really wish for the game is the option of non-human player characters. The world of FL has some brilliant creatures lurking in the alleys, and I’ve always felt it was a bit of a shame you can’t experience the Neath from their perspective. (Of course this would be tons and tons of extra writing, so I understand why it isn’t really viable in FL.) However, in the Wilderness I could easily see the amount of limbs or eyes you possess being as immaterial as gender in the Neath - hence my request:

Please, please oh PLEASE let us play as Spacebats!
edited by John Moose on 9/24/2016

[quote=John Moose]I’m also a bit worried, since this feels like it could feel like the &quotword of god&quot ending to all our FL characters. I’m also not sure how easy it is to make a game about the High Wilderness without it being a clump of spoilers to new players of FL and SS. But screw it, FBG’s got a great crew figuring out all the problems, I’ll just concentrate on being excited about tilting my vanes and zooming into the void.

What I really, really wish for the game is the option of non-human player characters. The world of FL has some brilliant creatures lurking in the alleys, and I’ve always felt it was a bit of a shame you can’t experience the Neath from their perspective. (Of course this would be tons and tons of extra writing, so I understand why it isn’t really viable in FL.) However, in the Wilderness I could easily see the amount of limbs or eyes you possess being as immaterial as gender in the Neath - hence my request:

Please, please oh PLEASE let us play as Spacebats![/quote]
As I said, I absolutely love the concept. But I really hope this is an alternate timeline or maybe a possible future/destiny rather then this being the ‘Canon Ending’ to Fallen London/Sunless Sea.

Also still kinda bummed no ‘Castles in the Roof’, I was really hoping to fight Starved Men and Alien Bugs in an Airship. ^.^;
[li]

I’m pretty sure that it won’t be the cannon ending to the Fallen London universe (or as I call it “Space Bat’s Pride and Prejudice”).
I mean it could, but if it does end up as being the final instalment to the franchise and all of it’s stories - one thing for certain is that there will be a lot of unhappy people (for a myriad of reasons).

And as we all know, unhappy people cause a lot of serious problems (take into account the fact that a company’s success is all thanks to it’s loyal consumers/fans - if you **** them off and lose a lot of them, well, bad things start to happen. Aaand not to mention that FBG is a pretty young company yet and a lot of people are REALLY invested in the game’s universe and etc…) So, mm, naah, It’s still too early for FBG to take such chancess in my humble opinion.

Now with all that regarded and several other points that I won’t write for the sake of succinctness (yeah, that’s a bit of a joke) - I bet the game’s potential story and ending will either be a canonical/non-canonical open ended kind of deal (so all other story paths can exist, be possible still and keep their original points) or if it does have a “solid finality”, it would probably be limited to a very personal level (e.g, think of the Horizon Ending and for that matter, all other endings of Sunless Sea - none of them affect the overarching story/universal lore, yet they contribute to it on a personal, player-to-player level).

Tl;Dr: All will be fiiiiiiine. If you’re worrying, have some tea and chill your bloomers. :P

Well, they did say from the beginning that the end will not be delayed…for long ;)
edited by Morgan Joylighter on 9/24/2016

I have a sense Sunless Sky won’t pick one destiny as canon. While London being plunged in darkness would certainly motivate colonisation of the High Wilderness, the populace gaining some degree of immortality could just as easily embolden the Empire to expand to the stars. FB may even sync profiles such that one’s destiny changes the story’s background at the outset of the game.
edited by Ginneon Thursday on 9/24/2016

AAAAAAAAAAAH THE HYPE IS UNREAL I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS

(even though I haven’t even gotten to Sunless Sea yet by this is gonna be so good)
edited by Vincent Asmund on 9/24/2016

If Sunless Sea is any indication, the amount of lore we get access to will be considerable too.

[quote=WireWolf]Or is this some sort of alternate timeline?
edited by WireWolf on 9/24/2016[/quote]

I think it has to be an alternate universe to Fallen London proper. (I’d argue this is true of Sunless Sea to a degree, as you can cause some severe and permanent changes to the status quo, up to and including utterly destroying London, that could never happen in FL.)

My main question is, what does the Bazaar think of all this? Is this like the Fourth City where it’s just a (sizable) faction that leaves before the next city arrives, or like…did the Traitor Empress somehow steal the city BACK? And what about Paris?

So, rampant speculation…if someone is murdering stars, why on earth do the Emperor and whoever is following her think it’s a good idea to go TOWARDS said catastrophic space war?

Also, this excites me beyond measure as a relative latecomer to FL/SS because this is the first time I get to experience a big new story/lore party while actually having some understanding of what has come before…I started out being clueless in SS and then being slightly less clueless in FL but now I at least understand the basic plot and the many, many players…

Maybe each of our ships has a LoN machine on it, and we fly around killing judgements. (Though this seems more end game)
edited by suinicide on 9/25/2016

The concept of this game has me quite excited. Beyond the idea of another story-rich world to explore, I’m interested to see who will populate the High Wilderness besides the Judgements. Will we find the original home of the Masters, meet other Couriers, discover wayward Axile exiles? Will we be welcomed into the Wilderness? Or shall I need to renew my membership to the Citizens for a Blood Space War?

This is amazing news. I’m not quite well versed with the lore as some of you are, but I’m looking forward to it. I plan to get ready for when the kickstarter campaign starts :)

[quote=WireWolf][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]
Also a little disappointed as I guess the Castles in the Roof Expansion from the old Kickstarter isn’t going to get done. (I was crossing my fingers hoping that sales would have been good enough to warrant it after Zubmarine.) [/color][li]
edited by WireWolf on 9/24/2016[/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]Could this be the same thing, except it is a new game? I mean it is still a game about airships, no?[/li]

So Fallen Swindon’s ending was actually semi-prescient?

[quote=Bluebeard][quote=WireWolf][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]
edited by WireWolf on 9/24/2016[/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]Could this be the same thing, except it is a new game? I mean it is still a game about airships, no?[/li][/quote]
Castles in the Roof was going to add another game layer to Sunless Sea, much like the Zubmariner Expansion.
This is it’s own complete game and focused on spaceships rather then airships.
[li]

Game seems interesting, the setting and plot seem a bit derailed. I’m pretty opposed to revealing late-game content like the Judgements in the teaser. That being said, who says we’ll be killing judgements? Perhaps we’re supposed to be saving them, hmm?

A bit of rampant speculation here, but what if animescense doesn’t only affect souls, but also fully developed judgements?