Sunless Skies Kickstarter Preview

[color=#0066ff]Significant (but not final) update to rewards today, gang![/color]

I read all of the reasons and tuned into the most recent podcast after leaving my feedback on the KS page, and now that I properly understand more of the reasons for why certain things have or have not been done (especially Fallen London content - while a lot of people were expecting it and were prepared to pay for it, when it comes down to a choice between KS stories or more proper, full-fledged and free stories being released as a part of the normal FL schedule, it all makes far more sense), most of my concerns have been addressed and/or ameliorated.

In addition, the extra things that have been added recently seem super cool! The addition of an extra tier between £30 and £75 is a great sight, and the cosmetic extras are a really good way to assuage some fan’s collect-em-all desire to own all content without eating up as much dev time as writing whole stories.

TL;DR: I think the whole page looks fab now, and I don’t really have any more concerns. Bring on Feb, and huge kudos for balancing a lot of our often completely opposing wishes! :P

(Edit: not to suggest that the art doesn’t take time and money - Paul’s work is always fantastic and I shudder to think how much work goes into a game like Sunless Sea for a team of one or two artists! Just that it’ll take less time and money, for less staff, than art&words&gameplay balances.)
edited by Barselaar on 1/24/2017

The tier with all the exclusive content has two copies of the game, so I’m probably going to get that and split the cost with a friend. I look forward to it.

The Diabolical Pack probably should have 2 Scouts and 1 Rabbits, considering that the previous tower also have 2 Scouts.

Or is it the another way round? Just one Scout for The Archivist?

I would definitely rather have stuff like ambition updates and final profession levels etc much more than Kickstarter exclusives. thumbs up

If the Diabolical Pack is supposed to have two Scouts, would it also have two Rabbits?

Oh, this is much better. The addition of the Diabolic Pack nicely rounds out the under 100 pound options. Gone is that awkward gap between 30 pounds (lore book) and 75 (t-shirt). A unique Sunless Sky mascot was just what was needed.

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]When planning a Kickstarter it’s bad form to release all of your stretch goals and social goals upfront. We have balanced the whole campaign, including the currently-unseen goals, and will reveal them throughout the campaign when initial goals are met. The implication in revealing a Fallen London social reward is that there will be further ones. We predict that we’ll reach 2,000 backers in the first week, so of course we have to release the Royal Society information straight away. [/color][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]I hope that goes some way to explaining, as I can’t really tell you any more.[/color][/quote]
Okay, so it’s all planned out. The current goal is 2,000 and once that’s met the next goal will be released. Cool. that’s exactly what I wanted to know ^_^

Sorry if I’m asking rather obvious questions, but this is my first kickstarter.

Oh, I’m very interested!
edited by Anne Auclair on 1/25/2017

FL kickstarter exclusive companion: Takes time and energy away from writing new FL content, is unfair to those who will be locked out of it after the kickstarter ends

SSk kickstarter exclusive companion(s): Doesn’t take much time and energy away from writing new SSk content, is not unfair to those who will be locked out of it after the kickstarter ends.

I’m sorry, I really have accepted the decision, I’m just…having trouble understanding the reasoning behind what is essentially the same item for both games being treated so differently.
edited by Kukapetal on 1/25/2017

[quote=Kukapetal]FL kickstarter exclusive companion: Takes time and energy away from writing new FL content, is unfair to those who will be locked out of it after the kickstarter ends

SSk kickstarter exclusive companion(s): Doesn’t take much time and energy away from writing new SSk content, is not unfair to those who will be locked out of it after the kickstarter ends.

I’m sorry, I really have accepted the decision, I’m just…having trouble understanding the reasoning behind what is essentially the same item for both games being treated so differently.
edited by Kukapetal on 1/25/2017[/quote]
Because this is a SSkies kickstarter, not a FL one. I think they’re just trying to keep the games separate.

Though I’d still like and pay for (take my money! Take it!) an FL companion, I just want to say I am glad Failbetter have added a SSkies companion. Thank you Failbetter and Salt, Stone and Storm bless.

They don’t want people who don’t want SSkies dropping 100 dollars to out of obligation to fallen london, this is actually really nice of them and I’d actually like to say thanks for this.

If people who don’t want SSk also don’t want to donate just to get something for FL they don’t have to. Why does it have to be taken away from those of us who do? Why can’t people just not purchase something they don’t feel is worth the money?

If you’re not going to get it either way, what difference does it make if somebody else can?

[quote=Kukapetal]If people who don’t want SSk also don’t want to donate just to get something for FL they don’t have to. Why does it have to be taken away from those of us who do? Why can’t people just not purchase something they don’t feel is worth the money?

If you’re not going to get it either way, what difference does it make if somebody else can?[/quote]

What i am trying to say is I would rather not drop a hundred dollars for fallen london stories and I am thankful I don’t have to do that because that’s quite a bit for one purchase. Locking FL content behind such a massive paywall starts to reek of the &quotfee to pay&quot problem and I’m glad FBG isn’t doing that.
edited by suinicide on 1/25/2017

I’d agree if it were a bunch of extensive content, but I’m just talking about a single kickstarter reward. And the paywall might not even be that massive…the amount I gave was just what I myself would have been willing to pay.

[quote=Kukapetal]FL kickstarter exclusive companion: Takes time and energy away from writing new FL content, is unfair to those who will be locked out of it after the kickstarter ends

edited by Kukapetal on 1/25/2017[/quote]
Opportunity costs. Failbetter only has so much time and attention, and they have to divide it between Fallen London, Sunless Sea, the Silver Tree, and Sunless Sky. The Fallen London plate is full, so adding more Fallen London content would mean something has to be subtracted to make up for it. Plus, they don’t seem to think that offering exclusive Fallen London kickstarter content is the best or most efficient way to attract kickstarter backers, build the Failbetter brand, or contribute to Fallen London, based on their plans and survey information.

That’s how I read Hannah’s posts anyway.

Also, nothing has been taken away, what is being offered is just slightly different from previous kickstarters, that’s all.

You can’t imagine how much the Diabolical Rabbit made me smirk.

“You wascal wabbit!”

Have you decided on what level of backer will get Beta access?

I really enjoyed being part of the beta group for Sunless Sea :)

[color=#0066ff]It won’t be connected with backer level this time! We’ll manage it separately - more news after the KS is over.[/color]

Please don’t tie it directly to a backer’s social media activity. I detest social media and would be saddened that I couldn’t participate over that sort of requirement.

Any plans for whether the game will be as modable as Sunless Sea?