Sunless Sea and IRL health problems

Hi guys! I have something of a health problem - horrendous migraines, specifically. Normally they only happen every few months. For some reason, though, playing Sunless Sea for any length of time at all also seems to trigger them. This is a shame, because I love the game, but the only way I can really interact with it at this point is listening to people stream it. I think the problem is due to squinting at on-screen darkness, but I’m not quite sure.

So my question is this: Does or did anyone else have a similar problem, with this game or another? And if so, could you do anything to fix it?

Terribly sorry to hear about your migraines. Have you tried turning up the brightness on your screen? Maybe try limiting yourself to shorter stints or incorporating regular breaks.

Does using your computer otherwise have the same effect?

Alternately, have you considered inverting your color scheme and perhaps LOWERING the brightness on your screen? It would completely alter the tone of the voyage, but zailing around on a bright, misty green zee with a cone of darkness guiding your way might strain the eyes less.

The dark contrast does sound like the most likely explanation. I occasionally get headaches from games (not migraines, thankfully), but that was due to FoV issues.

[quote=Ginneon Thursday]Terribly sorry to hear about your migraines. Have you tried turning up the brightness on your screen? Maybe try limiting yourself to shorter stints or incorporating regular breaks.

Does using your computer otherwise have the same effect?[/quote]

Interstingly, I normally don’t have that problem with computer use - I spend a lot of time using it, and I generally don’t have trouble. It’s a few specific things that trigger it.

It does sound likely, yeah. I don’t have the problem with most games, so I don’t think it’s just videogames in general.

I haven’t thought to do that yet! It sounds like a great idea, I’ll give that a go. I can just pretend I’m playing in some postapocalyptic variant of the game after the New Sequence finished their machine, or something.