Suggestion: The Constable Renown Items

[quote=Grenem]
Yes, but in the same breath, it’s just as plausible that they’d already had the idea well before. The nadir may have urchins, but the only faction with ties to storm is the urchins [perhaps the zailors or masters, but on much less friendly terms, so…]

It’s not inconcievable that it was a case of great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ; not a matter of them going with a suggestion just because they could. In fact, it seems more likely that it was just that.[/quote]

I think that one of the reasons that Failbetter chose the Mind of a Dead God is because it’s not an oft-visited place.

Other than for story-reading purposes, there are very little other good reasons to go there, much less more than once.

The brief suggestion was to include the item in an existing piece of content (namely the Mind of a Dead God), and the actual implementation was a storylet with two options. I commend Failbetter for having two options instead of just one, but I don’t think that this made the game &quota deal larger than it is&quot.

In other words, that suggestion wasn’t asking Failbetter to crank out plenty of new stuff - it was just a suggestion to insert what it is going to implement in a place with a narrative connection.[/quote]

I fear you’ve misunderstood me. I’m saying that the decision to put an Urchin item there was made independently of the suggestion to do so, because there are thousands of suggestions for new content - if Failbetter followed them, instead of making their own decisions, the game would be overflowing with user ideas.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]

I fear you’ve misunderstood me. I’m saying that the decision to put an Urchin item there was made independently of the suggestion to do so, because there are thousands of suggestions for new content - if Failbetter followed them, instead of making their own decisions, the game would be overflowing with user ideas.[/quote]

Well, then it would have seemed a rather peculiar coincidence.

That said, Failbetter chose the Mind of a Dead God because it’s not visited much by players, didn’t it?

Like I say, there are thousands of suggestions for new content - they’re bound to guess something correctly sooner or later. Even if the user comment was part of the inspiration, the sheer volume of suggestions that aren’t implemented should serve as proof that FBG aren’t in the habit of slavishly following others’ lead without thinking about the consequences.

Is that quote from Starsky and Hutch a compliment of sorts for me?

I can’t say I had Starsky and Hutch explicitly in mind when I wrote it (plus, as we all know, the sky is quite starless these days, and the hutch has been raided for rations), but of course I was affected sentimentally by your enigmatic but touching depiction of an apparently heartbroken Holmes and a conspicuously absent Watson!

I agree that the Mind of a Long-Dead God is more likely to be a coincidence than FBG just taking player suggestions. The Urchins conversion had been planned for a long time before the community started deeply talking about that possibility. And I think every possibility was suggested at one point or another, so no matter what they decided it would have looked like someone suggested it. It just happened to be controversial.

What you’re saying about Corpsecage Island not reflecting the Constables as a whole is entirely valid. Nonetheless, that’s not a showstopper. You can frame it as an Internal Affairs investigation, or a former Special Constable having regrets about their own underhanded tactics. Both of those would also easily explain the mechanical requirement of spending favors.

I don’t think the remoteness of the location is noteworthy. A Voyage of Scientific Discovery is a main-line quest. A high-level player “should” have access to it and have visited it at least once.

(I will entirely admit my advocacy of Corpsecage Island is me falling in love with my own idea, regardless of the actual merits. Nonetheless, I think the merits are there.)

Whatever reason that would be used to have Corpsecage Island as a destination for the Renown 40 item would be thematically grim-dark though - possibly even Gaslight. The existing stories concerning the Constabulary, up to including even the conclusion for the Fate-locked Velocipede Squad story don’t seem like that.

Rostygold, do you have another idea for where to put it? I can only think of corpsecage and prison, and asking someone to be arrested twice for renown items seems rather cruel with its permanent effects.

Iron republic is a place of law’s opposites- unprecedented, but possible. Wherever it was that the last constable went. Otherwise, I can’t think of anything, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

My first thought was to find some place somehow associated with the Constabulary in terms of lore in any way too! Yet all of them sounded too far off thematically. The Constabulary is really a respectable but otherwise modest and mundane faction - nothing terribly weird about them.

I don’t think that a lore-connected place would do here - hence my suggestion of having the Renown 40 item tied to a Constabulary-connected person and then which leads to a not-human friend in a not-human place - conveniently one of the living glove series whose materials originate from Polythreme.

Just think out of the box.
edited by Rostygold on 2/15/2017

Iron Republic is very, very likely going to be reserved for a Renown 40 Hell item.

Ah… It looks like the Renown 40 item for the Constables would be on Corpsecage Island. Absintheuse hinted at this in the opening post of a recent thread.

But also… if they’re continuing the last constable story, it could tie to that.

I don’t see anything suggesting Corpsecage in Haley’s post… The River if anything…

[quote=genesis]I don’t see anything suggesting Corpsecage in Haley’s post… The River if anything…[/quote]Corpsecage Island was used by the Constables to detain and kill prisoners. During your scientific expedition, you find evidence of their brutal practices on the island, so it’s not at all a stretch to imagine this would be &quotthe place where they bury the bodies&quot.

While the River is a possibility, it’s more metaphysical and there haven’t been any previous connections between it and the Constables. I do admit, though, that I’m not a fan of the idea of putting Renown items at the River, since there are characters, my main included, who refuse to die for RP purposes.

It’s not at all a stretch to see a connection there, but neither is it a clear hint towards Corpsecage. They could very well bury the bodies in London proper, or somewhere not yet named.
edited by Optimatum on 5/22/2017

More specifically, Corpsecage has been used for the disposal of offenders for several Cities running, which is why it’s the primary location for prelapsarian archaeological research. I only know of one other location where bodies have been disposed of, and that was long before London came to the Neath. All in all, Corpsecage is a very fitting place, if not (as Optimatum has pointed out) at all guaranteed.

Of course, we’ve all been speculating based on the assumptions that 1) Constables, etc. will follow the established pattern of 10 on a card, 25 in London, and 40 beyond the City, and 2) knowing where the bodies are buried comprises the ultimate Constable reward. Neither of these things is guaranteed, either (though the first is to me exceedingly likely). So at most we have a substantial educated guess.

Where the bodies are buried is the name of a Constable item. So corpsecage even makes sense as a play on words.

That’s a rather doubtful suggestion (and a trifle offensive.) If a brief off-hand suggestion was all it took for Failbetter to write and implement new content, well, the game would be a deal larger than it is!

(For what it’s worth… as a black site used by the Special Constables over a period of many years, I’d consider Corpsecage a perfectly plausible site for a Constables item, but at the moment, all we can do is speculate.)[/quote]

so:

&quotTo begin with, we’ll be continuing to add new factions to the Favour/Renown system, including prestigious new items to be earned from the Constables and Hell. Perhaps you’d like to be belt out a Hellish Hymn, or be one of the few who knows about the Place Where they Bury the Bodies.&quot

To quote from the blog.

There is evidence on corpsecage? I’ll have to go take a closer look there, eventually.

Hellish Hymn, yes, could indeed be iron republic. Picture having to have just exactly the right qualities to actually end up on the path that has it as an option… hopefully it’s not just &quotturn in 100 as you leave the island&quot.

So, lets talk &quotcard&quot as that’s also a pretty clear canidate. Likely the 10 will be there, and I’m hoping it’ll tie into the last constable storyline as you can have tea with her already on the card. A &quotspecial&quot visit over tea, and a thematic item would please me very well.

The 25 item, probably in london, and if it just happens to tie into the honey addled detective… and be the hat, well, that would be delicious.

… and if I’ve remembered those two backwards, well, strike them, reverse it, otherwise don’t.
edited by ICountFrom0 on 5/24/2017