(suggestion) profession for rubbery and tomb

(It seems that the suggestion link is dead so I’ll post my thoughts here)

Although I’m quite happy that my character is a Rat-catcher, I’m quite bothered by the lack of professions for our Rubbery and Tomb Colony friends. I was thinking what’s the right one for them until I watched a History channel documentary about early London - the Night soil collector.[li]

Lore: I think it make sense lore-wise since this nocturnal profession isn’t something you’ll be proud off. However, they bring A LOT of money for someone who has a low rank in society. There’s a huge demand for these people since a lot of humans, devils and tigers would generate tons of er… potential market everyday. The large presence of rats also means that some of the waste aren’t processed as fertilizers. However, I do hope that they won’t cut my character’s source of money.

Stats: I think Watchful and Dangerous should be the main stats like their compatriot, the Rat-catcher. They have to be watchful or else the bucket of business will spill over them for a smelly surprise. Dangerous is needed since they have to withstand the disease-causing bacteria and other Neathy delights that are haunting those wastes.

Item: The Night soil Lamp (W +6, D +6) weapon will do the trick.

Progression: Night Soil collector -> Spore Farmer -> Neath Rancher. In the end collecting waste is helping London become more green (or peligin?). Waste converted into fertilizer can help mushrooms flourish which can produce lots of tasty products. I also think that the producers of the best tasting wines would garner some notability among society.[/li][li]
[/li]li Note that I’m also okay if this profession would be categorized as a Less Entangled profession. A lot of people would probably try not to entangle themselves with Night Soil workers anyways.[/li][li]
[/li][li]
edited by Pyrodinium on 1/22/2014

Why would this job be associated with Rubbery Men or Tomb-Colonists?

[li]
It’s a smelly and dangerous job and someone who has a better employment opportunities will try not to get one. The practitioners are usually shunned by society, such as in early India where such professions were deemed only fitting for their ‘untouchables’. My belief is that the untouchables of FL is either the Rubbery Men or the Tomb-Colonists, probably both. Clay Men don’t count since they’re not a faction (yet).

Since both of these factions are treated more harshly than the other factions, I think they have found ways to get this unsightly job. The next candidates would be the Urchins but I guess they get more money off from their &quotfishing&quot jobs.

I think most Rubbery Men work in the Amber Trade. I don’t think enough of them would be interested in this sort of job to have it be associated with them. Also, they don’t have a Faction card.

Tomb-Colonists, on the other hand, seem to collect a lot of secrets. They can sell something rather personal for valuable information, or maybe for cash if they need it right then and there. Maybe they could/would do this, but they do have other options.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 1/15/2014

[quote=Sara Hysaro]I think most Rubbery Men work in the Amber Trade. I don’t think enough of them would be interested in this sort of job to have it be associated with them. Also, they don’t have a Faction card.

Tomb-Colonists, on the other hand, seem to collect a lot of secrets. They can sell something rather personal for valuable information, or maybe for cash if they need it right then and there. Maybe they could/would do this, but they do have other options.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 1/15/2014[/quote]

Ah so at least they have some purchasing power in London which is nice. The reason that I think that they’re at the bottom rung of society is that whenever someone is fulfilling their Christian-ish duty of ridding FL of tentacley people there’s no retribution. They’re also quite ok of diving headfirst into manholes so they might be more open to sewerage related works. Note that I haven’t progressed enough to interact with them though. Yeah, I really think they should have their own faction card.

If at least the Tomb-colonists could look at it then I’m find with that.

[li]

It’s an interesting idea, but mechanically we already have 6 tiered professions, and doubling up on one doesn’t seem to serve the system well.

I think it would be more likely to have employment as a Rat-Catcher be available through the Tomb Colonists. Rats could be a big problem for them, too.

I do like the idea of Night-Soil workers. I think the solution to their items might be to make more in the vein of the Shrine to Saint Joshua (http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Shrine_to_Saint_Joshua)
By making the profession item part of the expanded inventory (home comfort or transportation, most likely) you can power them down while still keeping them desirable.

[quote=Theus]It’s an interesting idea, but mechanically we already have 6 tiered professions, and doubling up on one doesn’t seem to serve the system well.

I think it would be more likely to have employment as a Rat-Catcher be available through the Tomb Colonists. Rats could be a big problem for them, too.[/quote]

What if we put it together with the Less Entagled jobs then? However, some notaries and doctors might get offended by having a night-soil worker as an equal.[li]

[quote=Mr_Tines]I do like the idea of Night-Soil workers. I think the solution to their items might be to make more in the vein of the Shrine to Saint Joshua (http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Shrine_to_Saint_Joshua)
By making the profession item part of the expanded inventory (home comfort or transportation, most likely) you can power them down while still keeping them desirable.[/quote]
Definitely transport.

edited by Raymond R Price on 1/21/2014