What do people think of adding a new category of articles to the wiki to collate lore on various topics? So not the typical article which is on a particular storylet or quality - something like the "Guides" category. For example
- "Mutton Island (Lore)" would contain a description of the island, summarize the creepy rituals around the well and the thing about closing all the north-facing windows, mention Mrs Plenty, etc.[/li][li]"The Duchess (Lore)" would collate information from in-game on who she is as a character, brief description of personality, and also a "Real world" section containing reasonable speculation and references as to who she is based on.
Another reason I think it would be nice to have this kind of meta-discussion sort of article would be the ability to cross-reference Sunless Sea content. I know all of this stuff has been discussed extensively on the forums and blogs, but not everybody has the time or patience to go and dig all that up. Especially new or casual players.
I believe theres already someone (or someones) working on this, though i cant seem to find a link
Suinicide, that’s me! Look in my signature for the link.
Edit: yes, I am including Sunless Sea content. I just don’t know much about the game since I don’t have it.
edited by KestrelGirl on 9/22/2015
While I like the idea of such a thing, I know that when I first started playing, I would have latched onto this and read through it all - which would have completely ruined the revelations experienced while playing the game.
- Finding out that Jack Of Smiles is actually [REDACTED]? The experience would be completely ruined by a wiki.
- Finding out that the Vake is [REDACTED]? Same. (This is one I didn’t get to do, as I saw it on the forums.)
- Reading up on Parabola? Something I’ve much enjoyed experiencing first-hand. (I’m actually 3/4 of the way through changing from Correspondent to Glassman at the moment, because I like the story ‘fluff’ better - and a recent Exceptional Story only enhanced that interest. I’m just waiting on an opportunity card to make the final step.)
- The nature of Lacre, I found out - but only after having been through one Christmas where I’d picked up a fair bit of info about it in-game. Putting those pieces together (no pun intended) myself was far more enjoyable than it would have been if I’d been fed them directly before having experienced any of it myself.
- The ‘LoN’? Something I would never want to spoil for my younger self, especially as you go from being like "The masters aren’t that bad" to "Screw those guys. F___ the masters!" to "Oh my god what were you Revolutionaries even thinking, do you have ANY idea what this will cause?", before eventually settling to your own conclusion about where you stand on the LoN.
To me, one of the most enjoyable things of Fallen London has been getting glimpses of what’s going on, and slowly piecing them together. Seeing those whispered hints, and the cryptic clues, finding appalling secrets (Looking at you, Empress!), before learning the extraordinary implications.
Having a spot on the wiki dedicated to that would be far too tempting, and would not at all make the game more fun to play. (There’s a reason FBG hasn’t been like "Here’s exactly what’s going on in the Neath, in elaborate detail.")
Don’t worry - I use spoilers! The truth about the Vake is in one, and I plan to put the true nature of Jack, as well as stuff about the LoN and lacre when it is added, in spoilers as well.
The page on Parabola has yet to be converted into spoiler format, but that’s because we need to know exactly which stories the info comes from.
[quote=KestrelGirl]Don’t worry - I use spoilers! The truth about the Vake is in one, and I plan to put the true nature of Jack, as well as stuff about the LoN and lacre when it is added, in spoilers as well.
The page on Parabola has yet to be converted into spoiler format, but that’s because we need to know exactly which stories the info comes from.[/quote]
Yes, sounds good - put basic info up front and cover up the more esoteric stuff with spoiler tags. I agree with Kittenpox that finding out that things are not as you expect is a big part of the player journey.
Thanks for setting this up! We should see if the FL and SS wiki mods would be willing to link to it from the front page of the respective wikis.
edited by Lashkar on 9/22/2015
That’s exactly what I’m doing. You’re very welcome, and you’re also very welcome to help out if you’d like! And yes, we should definitely check with the FL/SS wiki staff!