[Suggestion] Inheritance

First I want to say that I love the game. Congratulations to the developers. I can’t wait to have all the elements in! This is, and will be, one of my favorite games this year.

After playing several games and getting a feel for the game, I was wondering if progression through the game in invictus mode could not be made through a series of inheritances where some of the accumulated material wealth, charts and logs could be inherited by the next captain through blood inheritance.

The idea is that players would be given the choice of playing a descendant of the previous captain with a claim to his/her possessions (not stats). Furthermore, the cool thing would be to make it non-deterministic and in the context of narrative. Sometimes part of it would be lost and you would have to make do without it. Sometimes you would have hateful siblings to contend with when it comes to inheritance. If your previous captain spit on the gods, you would have to atone for that. Old enemies would remain and so would old friends. One-time storylines would be exhausted, etc, etc.

It doesn’t need to be strictly causal and perfectly temporal. Players are already fine with the concept of keeping a stat and starting over. No need to have years and years pass, to have a child in your playthrough, or anything like that to make it perfectly consistent, but rather have a loose sense of continuation and a steady sense of progression through successive playtrhoughs that would greatly enhance the game. Furthermore, it would make the achievement of ambitions and legacies (without save/load cheats) a lot more realistic for those of us that don’t have lots of hours to put into the game due to family and work (which I would guess is a significant portion of the players)

You already have the option of passing on a skill, Officer, or Chart as a Legacy. Also, upgraded Lodgings can be secured for the future with a Will. (100 Echoes for a Zeeside Mansion IIRC.)

Plus money can be passed on the in the form of Heirlooms, which are built from high-end Curiosities and added to the will for a small sum of echoes.

Thank you- I’d forgotten about those, Nenjin.

Yep, inheritance is already a thing, but I do like the idea of building it into the ongoing narrative more than it already is. Might be a tricky accomplishment for the programmers, mind, and in some cases could make beating the game much more difficult because important quests would already be gone, but still.

Concerning the repeat of quests after your start anew with a legacy - I like to imagine it as that given the curious nature of the Neath it would not be unusual for time loops top affect the experiences of individual captains. A warped reality on the sunless underzee is expected, certainly. That’s simply my way of seeing it of course.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/8/2014

Does anyone know to what extent Officer’s storylets reset or not if you retire?

I’ve been following the Genial Magician’s story, and reached a point where I need secrets to continue. Sadly I’ve discovered a lot of what there is to discover, currently, so secrets are in quite short supply. I was hoping I could retire, pass him on to my new captain and progress with the new influx of secrets. Is that workable or would I be resetting the Magician as well?

[quote=AlexWattsEsq]Does anyone know to what extent Officer’s storylets reset or not if you retire?

I’ve been following the Genial Magician’s story, and reached a point where I need secrets to continue. Sadly I’ve discovered a lot of what there is to discover, currently, so secrets are in quite short supply. I was hoping I could retire, pass him on to my new captain and progress with the new influx of secrets. Is that workable or would I be resetting the Magician as well?[/quote]

If you are of high level and looking for a good way to get whispered secrets, you can try harvesting Lonr-Flukes around Port Cecil. Head right as you exit and haunt the edges of the bulbous coral-rock islands north of the Emperor Wolfghast (a crashed ship) that border the dark waters and you should eventually be able to pinpoint the area the Lorn-Fluke spawn. Proceed with caution, if you don’t kill it quickly it will slowly tear you apart - and that’s not even counting it’s most devastating attack which will destroy any ship below 150 hull strength. Every successful battle nets you 3 whispered secrets and 1 Lorn Fluke Core that sells for 500 echoes back in London. Remember to save after every battle however, a good way to do events at Port Cecil too if you ask me. I once one-shotted a Lorn-Fluke with a single torpedo but I recommend Harpoon attacks, they seem more effective than cannons.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/9/2014

[quote=Owen Wulf]
If you are of high level and looking for a good way to get whispered secrets, you can try harvesting Lonr-Flukes around Port Cecil. Head right as you exit and haunt the edges of the bulbous coral-rock islands north of the Emperor Wolfghast (a crashed ship) that border the dark waters and you should eventually be able to pinpoint the area the Lorn-Fluke spawn. Proceed with caution, if you don’t kill it quickly it will slowly tear you apart - and that’s not even counting it’s most devastating attack which will destroy any ship below 150 hull strength. Every successful battle nets you 3 whispered secrets and 1 Lorn Fluke Core that sells for 500 echoes back in London. Remember to save after every battle however, a good way to do events at Port Cecil too if you ask me. I once one-shotted a Lorn-Fluke with a single torpedo but I recommend Harpoon attacks, they seem more effective than cannons.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/9/2014[/quote]

Thanks Owen. I’ll go Lorne-Fluke hunting tonight!