Stretch Goals

Anyone else hoping that the next stretch goal will be Great Game related? Because so far there hasn’t been anything specifically Great Game and I’m hoping there will be.

I’m wondering whether it’d be feasible . . .

If the &quotGreat Game&quot is no longer around, it’s possible that there’d be no point in releasing anything related to them. It’d also be a bit pointless, if - say - they’re a very minor part . . . scrolling through the Kickstarter, I saw characters for zailors, revolutionaries, and the ministry, all of which can safely be assumed to have large roles - or a very strong reason to still exist - within the setting of the new game. It could be like having new content for Tomb Colonists say; if they don’t exist or there’s no real story for them in the new game, why have them as part of the stretch goal?

I’d be interested in more Great Game in the &quotFallen London&quot world, such as what happened after the Cheesemonger’s death (for those of us that may have gone with that option), and groups like the Calendar Council (although they’ve had a lot of stories and focus, to be fair) . . . not sure I’d want more of them in a game about Judgements and Masters and royalty, though.

Seems the Great Game would go against the intended demographic.

Although, just my take.[/quote]

You’re assuming the Great Game is gone, which is odd. The Game goes far beyond London. Hell, one of the most notable Game players is a star. Not to mention that the surface is still around, if not London (and London is still likely around too).

[quote=Robin Alexander][quote=DoYouMined]
You’re assuming the Great Game is gone, which is odd. The Game goes far beyond London. Hell, one of the most notable Game players is a star. Not to mention that the surface is still around, if not London (and London is still likely around too).[/quote]

That’s why I was speaking in hypotheticals ;)

I’m not saying it is gone, but that it could be gone . . . I think FBG explicitly said this isn’t a ‘canon’ continuation, as such, but one of many possible futures and outcomes and worlds. I don’t really want to hazard too much a guess as to what’s ‘likely’/‘unlikely’, as I feel others may be better educated about the previous game and upcoming game, so they can make better points, but I do think that the Great Game has far less impact on this game, just based off the Kickstarter information provided.

Queen Victoria has led an exodus from London, which seems to imply London is either gone and/or a shadow of its former self. The empire wishes to expand across the skies; we have mentions of ‘speaking to stars’, ‘murdering a sun’, and ‘facing a Judgement’. There’s also mentions of a conflict between Independents/Empire . . . a new faction of sorts.

I’m just not seeing anything that screams &quotGreat Game&quot heck, there’s even mentions of a Clay character, which could be fascinating to explore and also see more of in the stretch goals. It’s not that it’s impossible for the Great Game to be in the story; like, I’ve not come across the fact a star is also a member of the Great Game, but it sounds like a very fair point . . . I just think it’d be odd - from description alone - for the FBG team to release a goal involving the Great Game, when they seem like a very minor part of the game (if in it at all).

Now, they say the goals are ‘planned’, which implies future goals are already set, and - for all I know - the Great Game could be a major enough part of the game to warrant a goal reward, or maybe they just have a huge popularity I’m not aware about, which would also warrant a reward, too, because it’d be a great incentive . . . I’m just not seeing it, though?

Each to their own, as the OP does ask whether we’d &quothope&quot to see it, not whether it was likely or not, but then again . . . it’s not something I’d hope to see, either. The Great Game has never interested me, like it seems to interest others.

I’d be interested to see others opinions on the Great Game, though.[/quote]

The judgements play their own Great Game in space, I think that is pretty important to note.

I obviously can’t speak for what Anne actually had in mind, but when I read the OP I immediately assumed she was talking about the “real” Great Game, not its earthly incarnation. The White’ plan and the Great Game between the Judgments.

So yes, I very much hope we’d see that.

[quote=genesis]I obviously can’t speak for what Anne actually had in mind, but when I read the OP I immediately assumed she was talking about the &quotreal&quot Great Game, not its earthly incarnation. The White’ plan and the Great Game between the Judgments.

So yes, I very much hope we’d see that.[/quote]
I was thinking both? As the Empresses Shadow showed, the Surface Powers are becoming increasingly intertwined in the Game of the Judgments. If London ascended, surely some of those spies ascended with it and found a way to contact their masters back home.

[quote=The Master][quote=Robin Alexander][quote=DoYouMined]
You’re assuming the Great Game is gone, which is odd. The Game goes far beyond London. Hell, one of the most notable Game players is a star. Not to mention that the surface is still around, if not London (and London is still likely around too).[/quote]

That’s why I was speaking in hypotheticals ;)

I’m not saying it is gone, but that it could be gone . . . I think FBG explicitly said this isn’t a ‘canon’ continuation, as such, but one of many possible futures and outcomes and worlds. I don’t really want to hazard too much a guess as to what’s ‘likely’/‘unlikely’, as I feel others may be better educated about the previous game and upcoming game, so they can make better points, but I do think that the Great Game has far less impact on this game, just based off the Kickstarter information provided.

Queen Victoria has led an exodus from London, which seems to imply London is either gone and/or a shadow of its former self. The empire wishes to expand across the skies; we have mentions of ‘speaking to stars’, ‘murdering a sun’, and ‘facing a Judgement’. There’s also mentions of a conflict between Independents/Empire . . . a new faction of sorts.

I’m just not seeing anything that screams &quotGreat Game&quot heck, there’s even mentions of a Clay character, which could be fascinating to explore and also see more of in the stretch goals. It’s not that it’s impossible for the Great Game to be in the story; like, I’ve not come across the fact a star is also a member of the Great Game, but it sounds like a very fair point . . . I just think it’d be odd - from description alone - for the FBG team to release a goal involving the Great Game, when they seem like a very minor part of the game (if in it at all).

Now, they say the goals are ‘planned’, which implies future goals are already set, and - for all I know - the Great Game could be a major enough part of the game to warrant a goal reward, or maybe they just have a huge popularity I’m not aware about, which would also warrant a reward, too, because it’d be a great incentive . . . I’m just not seeing it, though?

Each to their own, as the OP does ask whether we’d &quothope&quot to see it, not whether it was likely or not, but then again . . . it’s not something I’d hope to see, either. The Great Game has never interested me, like it seems to interest others.

I’d be interested to see others opinions on the Great Game, though.[/quote]

The judgements play their own Great Game in space, I think that is pretty important to note.[/quote]
Judgement lore is the part I’m most interested in.