Storynexus Wiki?

[li]Apologies if this has been asked and resolved before.

Before I plunge head first into creating the most ambitious, wonderful, and entirely acceptable thing you will have ever seen … where is the best place to become familiar with the creator tools? I checked out the wiki, and noticed that here: http://wiki.failbettergames.com/ it speaks of several posts on the betterblog, which all hit 404 errors.

Are these posts now elsewhere, or would I do better just to browse the various things linked from here?

Relatedly - do people have any recommendations for keeping track of story paths/routes as they become more developed and complex? (X opens up Y, with branches which give Z, A and B. A is required for T, but T can also be accessed if J.) Particularly ones that can be shared and edited from various places, as I have a better half (co-creator, rather than wife).

Jack

The google documentation should be under the help tab when you’re editing the world. Also a shared google doc or spreadsheet you and your partner both have access to modify would be a good place to keep track.

@Jack: I think the best way to get familiar with the creator tools is to roll up your sleeves and work with them. You should also have a look at what some existing creators are doing with them, especially in terms of quality advancement and Menace structures.

If you haven’t played them already, I’d strongly recommend Below, Zero Summer, and Samsara. Below is probably the best thing on StoryNexus: it’s hypnotically entertaining and by far the most innovative thing ever done with the tools. Zero Summer is the wordiest thing on StoryNexus, and – though I’m biased! – one of the best-written. Samsara is a lapidary and evocative fantasy set in an oft-neglected historical period; it does a great job balancing wordiness and plot movement.[li]

As for tracking storypaths: a Google docs spreadsheet is a winner for obvious reasons, but our team is personally in life with Gliffy. It’s not free past its 14-day trial, but it is a touch of genius in a fallen world.[/li][li]
edited by levineg85 on 8/16/2013

[quote=Gordon Levine]@Jack: I think the best way to get familiar with the creator tools is to roll up your sleeves and work with them. You should also have a look at what some existing creators are doing with them, especially in terms of quality advancement and Menace structures.

If you haven’t played them already, I’d strongly recommend Below, Zero Summer, and Samsara. Below is probably the best thing on StoryNexus: it’s hypnotically entertaining and by far the most innovative thing ever done with the tools. Zero Summer is the wordiest thing on StoryNexus, and – though I’m biased! – one of the best-written. Samsara is a lapidary and evocative fantasy set in an oft-neglected historical period; it does a great job balancing wordiness and plot movement.[li]

As for tracking storypaths: a Google docs spreadsheet is a winner for obvious reasons, but our team is personally in life with Gliffy. It’s not free past its 14-day trial, but it is a touch of genius in a fallen world.[/li][li]
edited by levineg85 on 8/16/2013[/quote]
[/li]Wise words. (Stop thinking; do.) Thank you.

I’m very familiar with Zero Summer and Samara (and enjoyed both)- need to look at Below a bit more. Everyone has said good things.

Gliffy looks really cool, actually - for other stuff. Not sure I could justify for a while, though.

Thank you again. Now to … DO.

[li]

If you’re looking for flowcharting software for free, check the google app store via chrome. The one I tried was LucidChart, which I think integrates with google docs. I know I used it…I but I don’t remember what limits it has on the free version. Worth a look. [li]
edited by HanonO on 8/16/2013

[quote=Hanon Ondricek]If you’re looking for flowcharting software for free, check the google app store via chrome. The one I tried was LucidChart, which I think integrates with google docs. I know I used it…I but I don’t remember what limits it has on the free version. Worth a look. [li]
edited by HanonO on 8/16/2013[/quote][li][/li]Will do. Will report back (probably; in a long while). Thank you

[li]