StoryNexus Art and Layout

Thanks for all the nice comments, really glad people are enjoying the themes.

We’ve just added a new theme - Silver Age.

This theme takes stylistic cues from classic comic books, with neutral colours and halftone patterns.

Enjoy!
edited by challis on 11/28/2012

Not to add anything of substance but the themes - and especially the banners - are like an early Christmas present. Seriously.

Image request: rooftop
I see it as something like cobbles but with tiles, at a steeper angle.

Cheers, sjjh

Forgive me if any of these are repeats, but I would love to see:

[ul][li]a wrench[/li][li]a schoolhouse or something that connotes things scholarly[/li][li]a silhouette of someone whispering[/li][/ul]Thank you very much for all the icons already posted and the lovely world-building tools!

Icon requests - I’d really love a chef’s hat, a loaf of bread, a rolling pin and anything else bakerly. Thanks :)

Icon requests:

• a bed
  • some sort of clear yes/no indicators (thumbs up/thumbs down, comedy and tragedy masks, cake and death…)
  • a rope (with less dramatic implications than the noose)

Also, I am in love with the themes. I had to go fanboy over the Silver Age one, as soon as I spotted it. (I’m using Monograph, which is completely gorgeous.)
edited by Ruaidri on 10/7/2012

I know poor paul is already flooded by a mountain of requests, but I just wanted to for a few more icons (if someone didn’t ask for these already).

• Evil eyes. Somewhat like the “scaryeyes” image on FL.[/li][li]Wind, gentle breezes, storms, or things of that matter.[/li][li]More animals, preferably a tiger at the moment.[/li][li]Some robed figures.

I was also wondering if Liam might mind to make some more banners, preferably one with an ocean and a sun with no clouds.
Thanks for your hard work Paul! Oh, and I suppose EmilyStAubert too. And Liam for his wonderful themes and banners!

Hello. I’m still just familiarizing myself with the story nexus platform.
Am I correct in understanding that we can not upload our own images?
Is there a place to submit images for approval that can then be used?
Do we retain full creative rights, etc. etc. or alternatively are you looking for artists for hire?

[color=#ff99ff]Hi Croatoan

You can’t upload your own images at the moment, no. This is something that we want to do, but it’s not on the roadmap for the near future.[/color]
edited by Emily St Aubert on 10/11/2012

Thanks guys, though Paul is creating all the banners area banners, which will be available across all themes.

The newest theme, Sergio, has now gone live! This theme has lots of earthy colours, wooden textures and pinned paper motifs.

Enjoy!

[quote=Emily St Aubert][color=#330033]Hi Croatoan[/color]

[color=#330033]You can’t upload your own images at the moment, no. This is something that we want to do, but it’s not on the roadmap for the near future.[/color][/quote]

This is unfortunate. I hope they put it on the roadmap at some point because I really like the interactive features of storynexus but I kind of consider the ability to add images essential to creating unique browser based stories, at least for me. I don’t think Fallen London would be nearly as compelling without its visual content. I’m currently fooling about with twine if anyone has any other sugestions for other platforms that can handle both graphics and interactivity I would love to hear about it. I apologize if this post is in the wrong section.

Perhaps you could use a flagging system similar to a wiki to reduce the workload on editors. Having a system to submit images for approval would at least be a start. The pre-made themes are really quite nice, and I have no objection to them, they also ensure a certain level of quality that I can see you might not want diluted. If the avatars, qualities, item, storylets etc. could have an approval process for uploading it would allow people to write fiction with a graphic element unique to their stories.

I see this genre of communication as at least partially derived from graphic novels and would like to see them progress in that direction. While I understand the need to maintain control and make the site/tool as troll-proof as possible, I think only allowing pre-made graphics (no matter how nice - and they are quite good) is shooting yourself in the foot.

I did just sign up to these forums, so sorry if this is an old gripe that has already been re-hashed or my opinions come off as something ‘noob-ish’.
edited by Croatoan on 10/9/2012

[color=#009900]To be clear, we’re keen to add this when we can, and it’s been an internal topic of intense discussion from day one. There are just a lot of other things that are higher priority, especially since most folk can’t source their own art and will be using our image library anyway.
[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]In the meantime, here are a number of alternative platforms: http://wiki.failbettergames.com/story-platforms[/color]

Thank you. I’ve been slowly working my way through that list. I’m glad to hear that you are interested in adding user-created images at some point, I had the impression that you were set against it.

In the mean-time might I suggest a theme based on the wall of a conspiracy theorist. Polaroid photos, newspaper clippings, hand written notes, tied together with red thread perhaps.
In terms of individual icon suggestions:

Stetson Hat
Whiskey Jug
Tommy Gun
Power Lines with crows
decrepit buildings
cars at night
flappers
maps
straight razor
cleaver
racing forms
roulette wheel
playing cards
and all the tarot cards - hanging man, death, the devil, the wheel, the tower, etc. - the trumps most importantly but having them all would be great.
You could also just have pentacles, cups, coins, and swords on their own - you may already have some of these actually.
edited by Croatoan on 10/9/2012

If it’s at all possible, I’d love (when convenient!)

• bookshelves
  • mug of coffee or tea, possibly with folded paper beside it (something vague enough that it could be a note, cash money, or a napkin)
  • another cat picture (something more of a closeup - this one is obviously very low priority, since you already have a lovely cat)

Frances

[color=#009900]Hi all

This is a tentative list of the themes we have planned over the next few months, in rough order of priority. All this may change.

Iris elegant future-minimalist
Ozymandias desert, ruins, wasteland
True Crime high-contrast black-and-white, pulp noir
Firenze Renaissance-painterly
Dusk paranormal, eerie, contemporary
Shatterlight urban decay, post-apocalyptic
Arden leaves, natural materials
Sabi Japanese-influenced restrained elegance
Sadanga Indian-painterly
Arabesque Islamic Golden Age
Donjon European Mediaeval - fortress, filth
Vance sword-and-sorcery paperback cover
Surbiton contemporary, urban-suburban, everyday
Grimm fairytale
Classy non-genre, rather Night Circus-y
Scriptorium European mediaeval - illuminated manuscript
Geocities When HTML Goes Wrong
Platoon Grimy, metallic, martial
Aether Steampunk[/color]
edited by Alexis Kennedy on 10/10/2012

Stop making gorgeous themes! Our team is totally deadlocked on the issue of Sergio vs Monograph.

Though I cannot wait to see what Geocities looks like. Definitely piqued my interest there.

Oh, even the names are beautiful! And I’m struggling to keep in a rather obvious joke I will be forced to use when a particular theme comes around =X

Looks fantastic, Alexis and Liam. I’m surprised the steampunk theme is at the bottom of the list! Really excited to see a lot of these, especially Ozymandias and Sadanga.

[color=#009900][quote=Gordon Levine]Looks fantastic, Alexis and Liam. I’m surprised the steampunk theme is at the bottom of the list![/quote]

Actually, I was surprised it worked out that way. But we prioritised them by relevance [how many of the worlds we reviewed looked like they could use it], distinctiveness [how similar it was / wasn’t to existing themes; what themes could subsitute] and ease/speed to implement. Aether was moderate relevance, low distinctiveness (Monograph and Classy are both likely substitutes), and high fiddliness.[/color]
edited by Alexis Kennedy on 10/10/2012