StoryNexus Art and Layout

[color=00ffff]Lots of responses! I’d better warm up the placeholder machine. [/color]
[color=00ffff]Caity: a pure black placeholder is an incredibly useful and obvious idea that I should totally have thought of. [/color]
[color=00ffff]SmyJohn: this an interesting one. I think we’ll almost certainly have inverted or “wob” versions of many icons, but specific colours may interfere with our plans for fitting the icon library into multiple themes. Watch this space though, we’ll have more on that soon. [/color]
[color=00ffff]Vintim: I’m very pro symbolism generally, and there are already some tarotic influences. Alchemical and astrological symbols would be something we’d look at if enough people were interested, though my instinct is that they might have limited functionality. The same with runes, to be honest: they may represent multiple meanings, but those meanings aren’t especially transparent to most viewers. They do give a nice Tolkien vibe, though :-) [/color]

@ Vintim And MisterArendt

I guess if you put a few runes in, most people would use them for general coolness, but they’d be a nice easter egg for people who know the runes and understand what they mean.

I hadn’t thought about runes: they’re useful in that they tend to work as a stand-in that doesn’t look like a stand-in. I’d consider using four random, made-up runes for my main Qualities, just so people can tell them apart at a glance.

I could use:

• a starry sky (or a single star on black background)
  • a zeppelin
  • a book (I see it’s a placeholder, but still voting it up)
  • a crate or generic box of some kind
  • someone running (could be used for running, fleeing, catching up, hurrying, chasing, etc… the more androgynous the better for generic purposes)
  • a set of clothing articles like a dress, a suit and a shoe (right now I need a suit)

Sorry ahead of time if any of these have already been asked for. But I could use…

-A computer screen
-A newspaper, or just a piece of paper with some scribbles on it
-An hourglass would be super cool, but with the clock, I guess it isn’t all that necessary if you don’t have time/don’t want to make it
-Maybe some different faces, when you get the chance? I have a feeling those are coming anyway–after all, they already exist from Fallen London, right?
-A train
-Along the same lines as the runes/alchemical symbols, if there does turn out to be significant demand, could playing cards be made? I can’t imagine this would be all too difficult–you could copy-paste suit symbols for all the number cards. That being said, I would be more than happy with just the number cards, if the face cards seem like too much effort with not enough application.

And I think that’s about it! Thank you so much for everything you’re doing. It really is fantastic.

Adding my wishlist here.

-a torn scrap of paper (or anything paperish that isn’t a scroll)
-a stuffed animal (preferably a rabbit, but a teddy bear or some other toy will do in a pinch)
-clouds with no sun (to represent either clouds or mist/fog)
-a regular door, if no one else has asked for it
-a cell door (I’m thinking something with either bars on the window or an obvious lock on the outisde)
-I’d like to second the playing cards request, possibly a deck or a fanned hand of them?
-a random kanji for anything Japanese, like 猫?

I’m sure I’ll be back later with more requests. (^_^)
edited by RageBox Alice on 9/8/2012

Placing my vote for varied symbolism here, please and thank you! ^_^

I’d love more basic fantasy/medieval pieces as well.

You have a boat, but it is quite modern, so an older style boat icon would be wonderful.

A wizard hat
Generic crest of arms (or other symbol of nobility)
Crown
generic building
two people fighting (with crossed swords, perhaps?)
A hand casting a spell - glow of light or anything signifying magic
Magic wand/staff
Human footprints across the ground (barefoot or otherwise, but for maximum symbolic use, nothing that looks like a modern shoe print)
Wolf prints on the ground (possibly one showing wolf prints turning human or vice versa - transformation being the theme)
Suit of armor
skull (and even possibly a skull with pinpoints of light in the eyes - horror writers would like this one, too)
tavern scene (maybe a figure holding up an ale mug while sitting at a table?)
A gemstone
A taloned hand
cave entrance
A lantern
generic ocean - no fish, no boats
classic treasure chest
campfire
burning building - cottage, perhaps
workbench with tools on it
wagon wheel
crystal ball

That’s a pretty sizable list. :) I’ll stop for now… Thanks for all your hard work!

I’d just like to say, it’s always a pleasure to see new card faces appear. They spark new card/branch ideas and both inspire and motivate me in my writings. Thanks, Paul. =)

[color=#ff99ff]Hi all

Just to let you know there’s a bunch of new and new-ish icons (including some silhouettes of people, which are all prefaced ‘face’ for easy finding) and also a lot of new placeholders in the library now!

New placeholders:

crown
suit
dress
t-shirt
shoes
screen
hourglass
train
paper
teddybear
door
doorprison
boatsail
crest
hatwizard
hatfedora
hattop
chest
crystalball
skull
staff
brain
readout (digital numbers)
heart
sunglasses
ferris
water
clover
atom
radioactive
biohazard
corridorsquare
corridorhexagon
typewriter
newspaper
calendar
tunnel
road
footprint
wall
rabbit
bird

Enjoy!
edited by Emily St Aubert on 9/22/2012[/color]
edited by Emily St Aubert on 10/11/2012

Neato mosquito! Thanks folks! There’s a lot of hard work going on, and I know we all really appreciate it!

Amazing! Thanks much.

It definitely needs more

• Silhouettes of people[/li][li]Demons[/li][li]Desert settings

Thanks for all your hard work Paul!

Miss Dodexon, a most important breeder of beasts.

Paul: I’d like to point out that this is the kind of incredible, delicious-looking interface you put together. Thanks for all your hard work. The Vision release just blows me away.

The new look to the interface and the themes that you can apply are largely the work of our unnaturally talented new UI designer Liam. He’s worked for us before but is now aboard full time. I’m sure he’ll be along to say hello.
edited by Goatdance on 10/4/2012

Hi all, Liam here.

I’m glad that you guys like the new themes! I’m currently developing another two which we hope to get out to you very soon. Theere will be a comic theme, which should stand as a nice contrast to the themes we’ve currently got. The Western theme will feature a lot of wooden boards and a generally more weathered look than the other 4.

[color=00ffff]Big welcome to Liam from me too! Liam’s done freelance work with us before (he’s the man behind the Fallen London profile pages, and the Night Circus UI) but I’m delighted that he’s now joining us full time. And while we’re introducing, the multi-talented EmilyStAubert is also doing some icons for StoryNexus. Many of you will know her from her writing work on Fallen London, The Night Circus and the forthcoming Silver Tree. Turns out she can draw as well.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]We’ve got lots more themes in the pipeline folks, but do keep the suggestions coming. [/color]
edited by MisterArendt on 10/4/2012

Wups! Thanks then to LIAM, and welcome!

The new UIs are really breath-taking. I’m such a GUI fanatic and I couldn’t stop squealing with glee. I’m more than excited to see more from you, Liam. :)

Let me fangirl a second - I love these new themes. Thought you guys, and especially Liam, might like to know that a comp-sci professor I know is using your work as a real life example of how to do UIs properly and beautifully. I can’t wait to see what else comes out, though a plethora of lovely options (especially a Wild West-y one!) is going to make it hard for our team to settle on which is our favorite. :)

Did someone request a necklace already? Also, everything looks great so thanks too Liam and Arendt and I anxiously await all that is to come! I can’t really think of anything else that I haven’t listed thus far at the moment but I’m sure that will change.