Steam Achievements - underwhelming (spoilers)

Not seen this raised, but the 30 current ones are a bit… meh. Lacking originality and so on.

Some suggestions:

~ Flying East with the zeppelin.

Suggested title: &quotOne small step for monkeykind…&quot

~ Getting all four marks (N, E, S, W).

Suggested title: &quotI am the Traveler, I bear the marks of all four cardinals&quot

~ Switching London to Anarchism (level 7, not 10)

Suggested title: &quotAnarchy in the British Empire&quot

~ Travel with the investor into the north

Suggested title: &quotOh my God, it’s full of stars&quot

~ Eat all your crew in Kingeater’s Castle

Suggested title: &quotFee, Fie, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman&quot

~ Turn over Port Carnelian to the Khan, do as much as possible to side with them

Suggested title: &quotThe wrath of Khaaan&quot

~ Complete the First curator mission in venderbight

Suggested title: &quotWait until they hear what happened to New Crobuzon&quot (and yes: whoever wrote this should admit their reading of China Mieville)

~ Raise the Dawn faction to max

Suggested title: &quotThe New Dawn is bright and clean and shines in the dark&quot

~ Gain all mascots

Suggested title: &quotMenagerie at Zea&quot

~ Upgrade all crew members

Suggested title: &quotOnly the elite may apply&quot

~ Switch power to Hell; sell (that weapon), help Mt Palmerson NPC etc etc.

Suggested title: &quotDamned if you do, damned if you don’t&quot

~ Kill all the named boss mobs

Suggested title: &quotAhab’s legacy&quot

~ Get 250 drowned pearls

Suggested title: &quotThe Fathomking’s heir&quot

And so on.

There’s a load of hard-to-do things in Sunless Sea atm, and it would have been great if the level of inventiveness in the writing found its way to the achievements.

[Edited smelling errors]
edited by ZeaCat on 2/11/2015

[quote=ZeaCat]~ Switching London to Anarchism (level 7, not 10)

Suggested title: &quotAnarchy in the British Empire&quot[/quote]
This is honestly quite easy to do. In fact you could probably grind out Anarchists to 7 long before you unlocked the other option that instantly sets it to 10 (reaching 7 will also set it to 10, btw). Of course that captain is then screwed for the remainder of his time at sea, but you can’t have everything…

[quote=ZeaCat]~ Travel with the investor into the north

Suggested title: &quotOh my God, it’s full of stars&quot[/quote]

It would be nice if you weren’t permanently locked out of this by raising Dawn Machine to Supremacy.

[quote=ZeaCat]~ Turn over Port Carnelian to the Khan, do as much as possible to side with them

Suggested title: &quotThe wrath of Khaaan&quot[/quote]
Good idea, terrible title.

[quote=ZeaCat]~ Raise the Dawn faction to max

Suggested title: &quotThe New Dawn is bright and clean and shines in the dark&quot[/quote]
Isn’t this already an achievement?

[quote=ZeaCat]~ Gain all mascots

Suggested title: &quotMenagerie at Zea&quot[/quote]
Some are mutually exclusive, e.g. rat vs. cavy.

[quote=ZeaCat]~ Kill all the named boss mobs

Suggested title: &quotAhab’s legacy&quot[/quote]
A lot of these are rare spawns… can you just keep killing the things in their zone until they spawn, or is it possible for them to never spawn for a given captain?

[quote=ZeaCat]~ Get 250 drowned pearls

Suggested title: &quotThe Fathomking’s heir&quot[/quote]
2ez.

If I didn’t comment on something that’s because I thought it was a good idea.

Some of these are good, but Fallen London & Sunless Sea have a certain feel to them which some pop-culture references might not quite fit. A few of my thoughts would be:

[quote=ZeaCat]
~ Getting all four marks (N, E, S, W).

Suggested title: &quotI am the Traveler, I bear the marks of all four cardinals&quot [/quote]

A bit long; I was thinking &quotPilgrim of Punishment&quot (Description &quotSuffer the Cardinals’ wrath.&quot)

[quote=ZeaCat]
~ Travel with the investor into the north

Suggested title: &quotOh my God, it’s full of stars&quot [/quote]

Not sure about the title, but the hint/description would be &quotVenture to kingdoms unreachable.&quot

[quote=ZeaCat]

Suggested title: &quotFee, Fie, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman&quot [/quote]

That’s a bit… cheery… &quotAlone.&quot maybe? It fits with the quote that comes up when you do it.

[quote=Vex]
Suggested title: &quotFee, Fie, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman&quot [/quote]
That’s a bit… cheery… &quotAlone.&quot maybe? It fits with the quote that comes up when you do it.[/quote]

Finger Licking Good…

[quote=Gregg Johnson]
This is honestly quite easy to do. In fact you could probably grind out Anarchists to 7 long before you unlocked the other option that instantly sets it to 10 (reaching 7 will also set it to 10, btw). Of course that captain is then screwed for the remainder of his time at sea, but you can’t have everything…[/quote]

Well, it’s still relatively hidden - you have to visit the sunlit world and then travel further to unlock the option. So, it might be easy, but it’s still not something many new players would find out how to do quickly.

[quote=Gregg Johnson]

It would be nice if you weren’t permanently locked out of this by raising Dawn Machine to Supremacy.

I’ve not raised Dawn that far with my current captain - I hope permanently is only for that life!

[quote=Gregg Johnson]
Good idea, terrible title.[/quote]

Well, yep, I agree. But it would be nice to have many other options regarding Khan and political factions.

[quote=Gregg Johnson]
Isn’t this already an achievement?[/quote]

I don’t think so. Finding the Dawn machine is one.

[quote=Gregg Johnson]
Some are mutually exclusive, e.g. rat vs. cavy.[/quote]

Ok, well, make it getting 8. I have eight at the moment, I’m fairly sure that’s the maximum you can get.

[quote=Gregg Johnson]
A lot of these are rare spawns… can you just keep killing the things in their zone until they spawn, or is it possible for them to never spawn for a given captain?[/quote]

Um, no idea. RNG is random a guess.

[quote=Gregg Johnson][quote=ZeaCat]~ Get 250 drowned pearls

Suggested title: &quotThe Fathomking’s heir&quot[/quote]
2ez.[/quote]

Whelp, make it 500 then.

Being honest, the titles were me just throwing out cultural references, thus ‘suggested’. I don’t really know the lore, so there’s plenty of people who will be able to give better titles.

Some more:

~ Complete the Zong of Zea. (Come on… it’s incredibly difficult)

Suggested title: &quotWrote your name among the stars&quot

~ Introduce blemmigans to 16 ports

Suggested title: &quotOne step beyond&quot (props to anyone who gets the references here)

~ Bring all port reports to the admiralty

Suggested title: &quotNews from across the world&quot

~ Get all three God attention / favors then deny them whilst having them

Suggested title: &quotRubbing the Salt in, striking the Stone, risking the Storm&quot

~ Sell the Icarus in Black to Khan’s Shadow, Chelonate, everyone who buys it (not sure who buys it - it’d be nice / make sense if at least these two bought it)

Suggested title: &quotRunning guns to big game hunters&quot

~ Have x5 live specimens when the zoo isn’t unlocked

Suggested title: &quotZoology on the high Zea&quot

~ Eat the sigil ridden navigator, eat the urbane magician and raise &quotunaccountably peckish&quot to maximum

Suggested title: &quot…and some even filed their teeth to points&quot

~ Witness the death of the Presbyterate adventuress, have the Urbane magician, have the disillusioned doctor, win against the nacreous outcast, finished the sigil ridden navigators story (any which way), have the lady in lilac

Suggested title: &quotAnd your wyrd was cruel to those drawn to your ship lights&quot

~ Complete your ambition (ending the game) with no other crew but the lady in lilac (you can have crew, but must lose them before finishing the game)

Suggested title &quotLone wolf of the Zea&quot
edited by ZeaCat on 2/12/2015

Unfortunately, no. Unless you can find a way to rid yourself of the Horizon Codex, raising Dawn Machine to Supremacy locks you out of passing beyond the Gate on all future captains. Granted, so does passing beyond in the first place.

edited by Olorin on 2/12/2015
edited by Olorin on 2/12/2015

Unfortunately, no. Unless you can find a way to rid yourself of the Horizon Codex, raising Dawn Machine to Supremacy locks you out of passing beyond the Gate on all future captains. Granted, so does passing beyond in the first place.

[/quote]

Ah, I didn’t realize that the horizon codex could be gained from more than one event.

Oh well, can’t always do all the achievements ;)