Starveling Cat: is this fleabag good for anything?

Yikes!

I’ve gotten a Starveling Cat from a bundle of oddities (and here I was hoping it would be my soul).

Is there any point to owning one? It seems it was useful, once, for those seeking the Name. It… doesn’t appear to be of use any more? Or is there a pay-off? Anyway, from what I can tell I can only send it on to someone, but since my in-game friends are actually my friends, I don’t know why would they want this beast…

Anyone care to explain what the deal is?

No the cat is terrible. Despite when seeking the name the only use for it is when uncovering the secrets of the face tailor, yet even then there are better options then having to use this cat. Unless you want it for bragging rights because of it’s rarity or you just want something to constantly give you wounds it’s useless. Oh and you can’t get rid of it without giving it to a friend who probably either wants it because they’re collecting or for who knows.

Forever Changed by the Nadir: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Turtwigii
Imprisoned by Nightmares: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vueoon

If it helps, there are generally people looking for Starveling Cats in this thread: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic27-the-starveling-cat-the-starveling-cat.aspx

Failing that, I’m not sure if he still is but I believe Cecil Palmer on these forums is also looking for the dratted beasts in great number.
edited by Kylestien on 3/27/2015

As I said in a similiar thread, the cat can be useful during Hallowmas, where you want to increase your menaces for the confessions. Other than that, there isn’t much to do with it - but similiarly, there is no harm in keeping the thing.

Doesn’t the d___ed feline lower my Persuasive quality by constantly spouting lies?
edited by Ted E. Bear on 3/27/2015

It’s useful if, for some reason, you and a friend have a masochistic desire to build Unnacountably Peckish up and actions to burn. Simply swap it back and forth.

The same method, using a Parabolan Kitten, can reduce nightmares, btw.

Doesn’t the d___ed feline lower my Persuasive quality by constantly spouting lies?
edited by Ted E. Bear on 3/27/2015[/quote]

Nah. Can’t source this at the moment, but I remember that the Persuasive hit doesn’t actually affect you because the kitty’s not equippable, and Alexis (I think?) kept it in because he thought it was funny.

If you don’t want it, I’ll happily take it off your hands! Dae Harrier is always looking for new lovelies to add to her collection.[/quote]

Oh…

OOOOHHHhh…

Well, it’s annoying, I’ll get rid of it either way. Thanks for the clarification!
edited by Ted E. Bear on 3/27/2015

I love cat, and i would gladfully take care of any cat, starveling or not, you would like to get rid off ;), (ingame name is Fleurs.)

I have rats in my Lodgings, and one of the proposed actions to take is to unleash the Starveling Cat against them. I’ve spent a lot of time fighting the nasty vermin. I’m hoping getting the Starveling will be worth it.

As some have said you can use the cat to increase menaces for when you need a certain level of them. You can also make your grubby kitten interact with it. And you can unleash it to (hopefully) catch rats. But for these purposes you only really need one cat. With SMEN currently on hold, I don’t think having multiple Starveling Cats serve any practical purpose.

Some people collect them just for the sake of it (and I am one demented Starveling fancier)! So if you have unwanted cats, you could think about sending them my way (Sylvester as listed below)! They stare at me menacingly from my mantel…
edited by Mirrorhouse on 2/14/2016

[quote=Kylestien]If it helps, there are generally people looking for Starveling Cats in this thread: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic27-the-starveling-cat-the-starveling-cat.aspx

Failing that, I’m not sure if he still is but I believe Cecil Palmer on these forums is also looking for the dratted beasts in great number.
edited by Kylestien on 3/27/2015[/quote]
Of course Cecil is still accepting cats. They are ALWAYS collecting the foul buggers. If anyone doesn’t want the damnable things for whatever reason you have, why not send them all your cats? I’m sure they’d love it.

Yup! If you have the ‘Grubby Kitten’ connected pet (from A Clandestine Rendezvous), you can use its card to introduce the two cats. The action provides enough CP of menaces to get both your Wounds and Nightmares from 0->4, which is perfect for Hallowmas Menace-gain.

You don’t even need a friend for that one, if you’ve got the right circumstances.
With A Name Whispered in Darkness 6 and Embroiled in the wars of Illusion 6-8, there’s an action in The Flit which will raise Unaccountably Peckish from 0->2. I’m not sure if there’s a cap on that, but if you’ve done that action once (to reach UA2) you can use an action in the Shuttered Palace to bring UA up to 6. (Though repeating the Cats thing is probably faster.)

Point is, I believe it’s worth keeping a Starveling Cat about, even if you don’t feel it’s immediately helpful. There are uses, and they save you a lot of actions if you’ve still got a monster-feline about the house.

Thanks for the idea, does anyone want to trade a starveling cat back at forth to build unaccountably peckish?