Starting Over? Towards the Canal & Beyond

So I’ve been away from Fallen London for a few years. Maybe it was the lack of Ambition content, maybe it was how the Tiger Court content seemed a monotonous grind, or maybe it was how I (in my own eyes) royally botched the Last Constable storyline. Despite being a magnanimous character who fought against the Soul Trade and has done some good, I can’t help but feel that my character is also weighed down by a great many evils he has done in the past while playing. And that’s not a bad thing necessarily, given that Fallen London is a place of moral ambiguity where to survive and thrive one must be willing to do questionable things.

After returning to the game last week, I began hunting plated seals at Zee (in a roundabout way to farm Phosphorescent Scarabs) and came upon the following card below:
https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Toward_the_Canal

This intrigued me. I do have alts that I could revive and continue playing but the thought of starting over on my main character (Owen Wulf) has its own appeal. This option is actually very reminiscent of the Sunless Sea option allowing you to retire your own character. But what would I be giving up if I took this as an option or any other similar choices?

• Would I get to reuse my purchased Fate Content?
  • Would I still be a member of the Temple Club, a Silver Tree Backer Reward?
  • How much would I restart in terms of skills and resources?

This content hasn’t been released yet as I understand it so for the next few months I’ll likely be kept waiting for the answers. But is there another forum or even a Failbetter post explaining their future plans on this?

Not going to lie, the ups and downs my real life has been having there would certainly be something cathartic about restarting a character I began back in College and giving him the proper rest he deserves after years of neglect. Of course, that could just be me being sentimental. What do you think?

There isn’t an explanation of what that is going to entail. But judging from the locks/unlocks you should be able to keep items at least.

Well, that would certainly make for an interesting new playthrough. Perhaps they will prevent us from us from hoarding basic resources, but keeping our equipment would still be a boon.

I assume ambition items will play some part in the Meet Your End options, as well as any high level items.

I’ve just come back and have yet to finish my Ambition, so I’m looking forward to that.

What is your Ambition, by the way?

To Bag a Legend. Currently mucking about trying to make the final confrontation happen. Not gonna lie, would have been easier if I’d stayed on top of new content for the past year or so…

To Bag a Legend. Currently mucking about trying to make the final confrontation happen. Not gonna lie, would have been easier if I’d stayed on top of new content for the past year or so…[/quote]

Really. I’m finding the new content a major distraction from proceeding with my Ambition (Nemesis. Need. Knives.)

Upgrading the lab, not having certain attributes which weren’t even a thing back when I was playing, stockpiling new resources and just trying to figure out what the heck I have to do.

Doesn’t help that a lot of the new stuff requires spending actions to get to &quotnew areas,&quot so we are literally wasting time just trying to wandering about pinning down what we need to go forward.

If we do get the chance to start over, I’ll probably just regret having to climb all the grind mountains I’ve surmounted to get this far…
edited by Owen Wulf on 7/18/2020

Do you know how you want it to end?

What? Me and the Vake or me and my character’s story?

For the former, I started out wanting blood and 4 million echoes. Now I’ll just settle for blood. For the latter, I think I promised to help the Bishop of Southwark do something daft. So I might try for that, unless it was just a dream sequence I can disregard.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/18/2020

Bag a Legend. There are a variety of ways it can end, like the other ambitions.

Yah, I kind of realized that as I finally got to that point. But I’ve always played my character straight and bloody. I didn’t stray when the Cheesemonger asked me to massacre an entire spy network, I butchered Spirifers when I fought the Soul Trade, I honored the final words of the Last Constable and watched her die in front of me - and on and on.

So now that I am within sight of my ambition, as well as avenging the fallen hunters that lined the path I took to get here, it does not matter what my prey decides to squawk. I am a hunter, and I will go in for the kill. I don’t even care about the money anymore - hell, I just assumed it was a farce after a while.

But mark my words - there will be an ending to things if the character I’ve played on-and-off for nearly a decade has anything to say about it. Still haven’t completed the Ambition yet (damn grind walls) but I’m getting close.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/19/2020

Alright, so I beat my Ambition and after the Epilogue there was something of a &quotfuture roadmap&quot that Failbetter gave us. A section within relates to the topic of my post, and I hardly think it’s a spoiler considering it’s more of an advertisement with no actual story elements:

&quotChoose to EMBARK upon one of three ENIGMATIC paths allowing your character to meet a FINAL END and embark on a NEW BEGINNING. Experience Fallen London through FRESH EYES to uncover NEW SECRETS and PECULIAR VARIATIONS.&quot

So not only will starting over give us a character with a powerful starting boon, but there may be content in such a new game that a regular character won’t experience.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/23/2020