St Meliflua?

I took a look through Google and has concluded it is probably fictional.

…But the question is, why is there even a patron saint to devil in the first place that is also acknowledged by the church?
edited by Byron Man on 4/22/2012

I believe that is the wrong sort of question. A rather more appropriate question I feel, would be which church?

I have two theories. The first is that the devils are, as often depicted, fallen angels, and she is praying for their redemtion and return to heaven. Alternately, she’s the patron saint of devils in much the same way as there are patron saints to headaches and storms: You pray to her when you want devils to go away.

I can’t help but giggle at the thought of devils successfully laying claim to the relics only to be blown away by fingernails or dandruff or some sort of similar relics.

As for which church… I suspect St.Dunstan would be a very likely candidate. Don’t tell the Melancholy Curate about that.

meliflua is Spanish and means &quotsickly-sweet&quot. As the reference is about St Meliflua’s Thurible, that’s actually a pun: a sickly-sweet-smelling thurible…

&quotSt Meliflua, it transpires, had a gift for vivid description and a mind cracked in two.&quot
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

[quote=Wieland Burandt ]meliflua is Spanish and means “sickly-sweet”. As the reference is about St Meliflua’s Thurible, that’s actually a pun: a sickly-sweet-smelling thurible… [/quote]

That made me think of the Latin roots, which are ‘honey’ and ‘flowing’. Extraordinary Implications are increasing…
edited by the_antichris on 4/29/2012

That made me think of the Latin roots, which are ‘honey’ and ‘flowing’. Extraordinary Implications are increasing…
[/quote]
One has to wonder why she’s the patron saint of devils and anarchists, and not of honey-sippers and dreamers!?
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

I’ve always associated the devils with her cognate ‘mellifluous’ (well, except for the Quiet Deviless), but have we ever found out where Prisoner’s Honey and/or Red Honey come from? Maybe they flow out of Hell…

Dunno about the Spanish meaning, but in Italy “mellifluo” means more “smooth-tongued”, almost always used in a negative way to describe somebody using sweet words to gain someone’s trust, or to further his own goals. Is that a reference to the devils using flattery and seduction to acquire souls, like in the “A devil’s taken a shine to you” storylet?
edited by streetfelineblue on 4/30/2012

Red Honey, yes. Or, rather, the bees that produce Red Honey are fed on a cross-breed between exile’s rose and a flower they brought out of Hell. The rest of the details are not for the weak of heart.
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]