Spoil some mechanics: Bringer of Death

***************** Some spoilers ahead

I am informed I need the Bringer of Death quality as one means of advancing the PoSI story line. Since I am soft-hearted (we’ll say nothing of my head), I let the first opportunity slip by, which seems to leave two possibilities. Since I am not very far along in the Cheesemonger’s story (level 5), it appears killing Captain Vendrick is the only remaining option. Which leads to a question:

Since one needs 5 levels in Fearsome Duellist to advance the Making Your Name content, if one only has, say, 2 in that quality at the moment, will Captain Vendrick still be available to duel, or is he gone for good? If the latter, it would appear that Chi Lan or Signore Feducci are the only remaining options to achieve level five. In which case, would it not be advisable to get one’s Duellist to 4 through Mr Inch before the main event, as it were?

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]***************** Some spoilers ahead

I am informed I need the Bringer of Death quality as one means of advancing the PoSI story line. Since I am soft-hearted (we’ll say nothing of my head), I let the first opportunity slip by, which seems to leave two possibilities. Since I am not very far along in the Cheesemonger’s story (level 5), it appears killing Captain Vendrick is the only remaining option. Which leads to a question:

Since one needs 5 levels in Fearsome Duellist to advance the Making Your Name content, if one only has, say, 2 in that quality at the moment, will Captain Vendrick still be available to duel, or is he gone for good? If the latter, it would appear that Chi Lan or Signore Feducci are the only remaining options to achieve level five. In which case, would it not be advisable to get one’s Duellist to 4 through Mr Inch before the main event, as it were?

– Mal[/quote]

Unless you have killed Vendrick already, he should be available… he won’t fight you if your Wounds are too high either… there is another associated with that storyline that can be killed permanently as well

[quote=malthaussen]***************** Some spoilers ahead

– Mal[/quote]
If you have dealt with the drownie, you will fight to the death with him. if you haven’t, he’ll duel for fun. either way, he requires a certain lack of wounds, and losing will be quite painful. If you spared the drownie, he’ll fight to the death with you now.

Yes, I know he’ll fight to the death now. The question is, when I kill him (because it’s not something I’ll likely leave to chance) is he gone for good? In which case, should I probably duel Inch first, and get my Duellist up to four?

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]Yes, I know he’ll fight to the death now. The question is, when I kill him (because it’s not something I’ll likely leave to chance) is he gone for good? In which case, should I probably duel Inch first, and get my Duellist up to four?

– Mal[/quote]
Yes to both. Might as well take advantage of Vendrick being there if you are going to go the BoD route.

Thank you, Sestina m’dear. That was what I thought, but this being such a fraught path, it is well to have all my ducks in a row.

– Mal

Easier to impale them that way. ;) Let me know if you need any help with wounds… Have you gone down the river yet? Unless you have compelling RP reasons to not die, you might find the trip quite interesting.

I’ve heard much about that journey, yes, but Mal is in agreement with Dylan Thomas (who of course hasn’t been born yet). He’ll try to avoid dying until it becomes expedient. More of a vanity thing than anything.

– Mal

Yes, I’d like to complete the journey without bloodshed (or whatever these people have inside) and without being kicked out of University or Court. Completing the Cheesemonger would be ideal, but not only are Barrister cards not flipping for me, neither are Cheesemonger cards. Good to know, though, that it becomes non card-dependent soon. I may end up taking that route anyway. But within constraints as I’ve outlined them, the only course under my control is Black Ribbon duels, so that’s what I’m doing now.
I had thought the Cheesmonger was an endless loop, since I kept getting the same cards over and over. Now that I know better, I get none. C’est la vie, or perhaps guerre.

– Mal

Well, the Cheesemonger has started to progress, and I’m awaiting the Urchin now, so that may end up the way I go after all. I wanted to save the duels for later, so that’s good.

– Mal

For most of this Mal already knows what I think. Which is basically I completely agree with the Truthseeker - go the Shadowy option. I’ll try to keep my eye on your wounds too. Good luck!

• as a side note does anyone know if Bringer of Death has any other in game uses yet? Or is it just a murder-tally? As that might effect some peoples decisions in this. From what I can find already it looks like the later, but I could easily have missed something.
    edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 11/28/2015

If you ever get into a State of Some Confusion there’s a pretty hilarious bit of text to be found there for those who have this quality. You can also gain the quality through a Fate-locked story without permanently killing anyone, so it’s not completely a murder-tally (my main has Bringer of Death 34).

Thank-you! You need it at 30 to be able to wield a Ban-hammer right Sara? :whack:
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 11/28/2015

No ban-hammer for me - it would be a bit overkill in this nice community. I do bring death to spam on the rare occasion it crops up.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/28/2015

Hail Sara Hysaro! Slayer of spam! Steely scourge of the unsolicited!-:spamkill:

(In all seriousness thank-you for protecting us, forum spam is awful :) )
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 11/29/2015

One of my friends has Magnanimous 15 and has gone out of his way to never kill anyone, even temporarily, essentially ignoring most of the main Dangerous progression line. He then did the fate-locked story mentioned above and after all the effort spent not acquiring any, his choice at the end landed him with 31 levels of Bringer of Death. Whoops.