Spare parts are not extra parts

Some items in the game are supposed to be unique, but actually can exist in your inventory in multiple sopies without any ways to get rid of them or use in any way.
While not a game-breaker, some of us (ok, me, at least) like things to be somewhat tidy, also, we have a precedent in a velocipede (not ratwork, regular one), where this was addressed with an option on one of the cards.
Before making a petition to add such options it would be advisable to make a list of such items first.

These are the ones I know about.

Genuinely unique:

[ul][li]an ornate and hefty gothic cross - from advent
[/li][li]plate of scandalously-buttered scones - from advent
[/li][li]clandestine candle - from advent[/li][li]broken toy - watchmaker’s daughter story[/li][li]lightfinger’s folly - advent[/li][li]gilded crustacean - whitsun and beginning of time[/li][li]dark-carapaced crustacean - whitsun and beginning of time[/li][li]whitsun pets
[/li][/ul]
Knife-and-Candle items.
The game is put on indefinite hiatus, and items which were supposed to be stolen or spent simply occupy inventory:

[ul][li]knife of lost sky[/li][li]waxwail knife[/li][li]shroud of little midnights[/li][li]mirrorcatch box[/li][li]sunlight-filled box[/li][li]sense of urgency
[/li][/ul]
Some things make sense not being unique, being easily produced, but have no use in multiples and no way to get rid of:

[ul][li]most of your books from the court and all your works from expeditions[/li][li]betrayer of measures[/li][li]bone duplicator - can spend one, can produce infinite supply[/li][li]blinding suit and frock - can be produced in multitude, cannot be sold[/li][li]forged justificande - possibly planned for later, maybe[/li][li]trace of the first city - possibly planned for later, maybe[/li][li]bessemer steel and railroad steel - not now, but once the railroad is fully finished they’ll become useless, unless[/li][li]stalemate - used once in one ambition[/li][li]discordant soul - possibly planned for later, maybe[/li][li]cave-aged code of honour - possibly planned for later, maybe, currently used twice, non-repeatably
[/li][li]memory of much lesser self - possibly planned for later, maybe, currently used once, non-repeatably[/li][li]moonlight scales - possibly planned for later, maybe[/li][li]memory of discordance - possibly planned for later, maybe[/li][/ul]
Things that can be sold at bazaar/upper river do not count by definition.
Things in finite supply, with number used as a condition in some storyline, do not count, since they have use.

Frankly, I do not really care whether it’s an option in some card or storylet or just an ability to sell directly, as long as you can get rid of excess copies.

[quote=Aro Saren]Genuinely unique:

[ul][li]an ornate and hefty gothic cross - from advent
[/li][li]plate of scandalously-buttered scones - from advent
[/li][li]clandestine candle - from advent[/li][li]broken toy - watchmaker’s daughter story[/li][li]lightfinger’s folly - advent[/li][li]gilded crustacean - whitsun and beginning of time[/li][li]dark-carapaced crustacean - whitsun and beginning of time[/li][li]whitsun pets
[/li][/ul][/quote]None of these are genuinely unique.
I have 2 of all the advent ones because they were in the advent calendars of 2019+2020.
You can have several Crustacean from converting rats or monkeys with Lacre if you’re lucky.
Probably all Whitsun pets will still be available in this year’s Whitsun event.

Pretty sure you can have several Broken Toys, too.

While we’re at it, why are items like Sun-Stamped Mirrorcatch Boxes still available? I accumulated some, and Knife-and-Candle was suspended when I got here.

For that matter, why was Knife-and-Candle suspended? Were some of you caught taking a dive for cash?
edited by Snort on 1/6/2021

[quote=Snort]While we’re at it, why are items like Sun-Stamped Mirrorcatch Boxes still available? I accumulated some, and Knife-and-Candle was suspended when I got here.

For that matter, why was Knife-and-Candle suspended? Were some of you caught taking a dive for cash?
edited by Snort on 1/6/2021[/quote]

Sun Catch Mirrorboxes are associated with a Fate storylet that, after completion, lets a player purchase one whenever its Opportunity Card comes up. Opening one makes available a storylet (or two–don’t recall for sure as it’s been a while since I opened one).

[quote=phryne]None of these are genuinely unique.
I have 2 of all the advent ones because they were in the advent calendars of 2019+2020.
You can have several Crustacean from converting rats or monkeys with Lacre if you’re lucky.
Probably all Whitsun pets will still be available in this year’s Whitsun event.

Pretty sure you can have several Broken Toys, too.[/quote]

Exactly my point: these should be unique, but are not. I have several copies of each of the listed items.

Sun-Stamped mirrorboxes are from the &quotCut with Moonlight&quot Exceptional story. One of the endings adds an option to buy them on Society card.

Knife-and-Candle was suspended because devs decided that FL evolved, and the game in the last form no longer fits it. At least, that’s the closest thing to the official reason we have. True reasons are unknown to me.

Doooo we have any reason the official reason shouldn’t be considered &quottrue&quot?

I thought it was fairly obvious that “Volumes of your X Work” are vanity items that exist to show how much research you’ve done. There’s also no way to spend the 355 “Successful Terms as Governor” that I have, but I still don’t want to give them up.

It is a bit odd that we can sell the extra “Virginia’s Spare Pillbox Hats”, but not any of the other extra advent items.

Governor terms are listed as quality, not item.

Yes, that’s what I’d like to apply to other items too. Or not sell at Bazaar, but turn in some stoylet/card, like a second velocipede.

[quote=PJ]I thought it was fairly obvious that &quotVolumes of your X Work&quot are vanity items that exist to show how much research you’ve done. There’s also no way to spend the 355 &quotSuccessful Terms as Governor&quot that I have, but I still don’t want to give them up.

It is a bit odd that we can sell the extra &quotVirginia’s Spare Pillbox Hats&quot, but not any of the other extra advent items.[/quote]

I have to say, if you imagine all of your books as different volumes of your works, they do make much more sense as multiples…

As for the Pillbox Hat, I believe there was a minor outcry of players not wanting to possess anything associated with the said deviless or with devils in general, hence the option to sell it was introduced. It would be nice to take the same route with the other advent items, though.

And I certainly hope that at least some use will be implemented for the grindable items which appeared in the newer content (Moonlight Scales, First City Traces etc.)

I’m hopeful regarding the Scales, as they’re said to be a delicacy in Hell… which is where we’re headed, incidentally.

EDIT: Oh, as for the Gilded and Dark-Carapaced Crustaceans, I do believe these actually make sense in multiples, given how invertebrates generally reproduce. Though how much we can extrapolate regarding cosmic ones can be debatable…
edited by Sir Reginald Monteroy on 1/7/2021

Doooo we have any reason the official reason shouldn’t be considered &quottrue&quot?[/quote]

And it’s worth remembering that there was a version of Knife and Candle that existed before the last one (which its special items and two different Leaques and so forth). There’s no reason to believe that K&C won’t return at some point.

Doooo we have any reason the official reason shouldn’t be considered &quottrue&quot?[/quote]

Until Snort’s comment above I thought the same thing. Now I’m not so sure.

[quote=Sir Reginald Monteroy]

I have to say, if you imagine all of your books as different volumes of your works, they do make much more sense as multiples…[/quote]

Of course, the only way to get multiple &quotCopies of your Zeefaring Epic&quot is to write multiple zeefaring epics. Obviously they aren’t the same zeefaring epic that you write over and over at the court.

In a way, I actually regret writing so many ballets to grind Poet Laureate. They only cost 24 Inspired and they give Tribute as a bonus, but they don’t produce anything for you to keep a copy of, to record all the magnificent art you’ve produced.

I thought Knife-and-Candle was put on hiatus because of issues related to the now-dead app? All social actions were disabled for a while, and then eventually some were re-implemented.

K&C was originally retired because of the app, but don’t hold your breath on its return. Besides the mechanical issues with more complex social actions, which it was far worse about than imminently-retiring chess, K&C was very much an Alexis thing. The jankiness and competitive nature just doesn’t fit modern Fallen London’s collaborative nature.

There’s a chance of a single-player successor down the line that keeps the same flavor, but certainly not in the near future.

[quote=Optimatum]K&C was originally retired because of the app, but don’t hold your breath on its return. Besides the mechanical issues with more complex social actions, which it was far worse about than imminently-retiring chess, K&C was very much an Alexis thing. The jankiness and competitive nature just doesn’t fit modern Fallen London’s collaborative nature.

There’s a chance of a single-player successor down the line that keeps the same flavor, but certainly not in the near future.[/quote]

I stand corrected. If Alexis was responsible for the K&C content it might not return, unless an existing FBG writer presses for it to do so.

Until Snort’s comment above I thought the same thing. Now I’m not so sure.[/quote]

Sorry if my comment implied that I knew anything at all. K&C was suspended when I got here, and I was just curious about it.

Well, if K&C is gone for good, I’d certainly appreciate a way to redistribute the rewards. I’ve got character with 4 Waxwail Knives, doing no-one any good.