Social Action Difficulties and How to Solve Them

[color=rgb(204, 102, 51)]The thread for solving social actions issues.[/color]

One of the first things you should know when dealing with social actions, is your own name.

• You have a Username - which may be used to log in with - this is shown in Account settings[/li][li]You have a Character Name - which is what your character is called. - This is shown on the &quotMyself&quot page

These will often be the same, but not always.
Social actions can be used with either of these names, but it’s usually a good idea to use your Character Name.

In order to add someone, the easiest way to add them is to find a social action and write in their Character Name. And that’s that.
If you don’t know anybody, you may let the game find a suggested contact, or find someone here on the forums. Many people have their Profile page or Character Name in their signature.
If you don’t want other people to have you as a suggestion, you can check &quotprivate&quot on the myself page.

Alternatively to add people, you may click Account Settings on the black bar at the top of the Fallen London page or under Account on the sidebar on smaller devices, and add their Username to the list. This is also the place to go to if you want to remove a contact.

Profiles
Every Fallen London Character has their own profile at http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/[CharacterName]
For instance, Kiptoo has a profile page at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kiptoo
This is a place where you can show off an item and a quality. You can also save story fragments by &quotechoing&quot them. This way you can remind yourself what you have done, or reread parts of a story.

[color=#cc3300]FAQ:[/color]
[color=rgb(204, 204, 0)]Q:[/color] How do I change my Character Name?
[color=rgb(204, 102, 0)]A:[/color] You can change this on the ‘Myself’ tab in Fallen London, by clicking your character name. Note that this costs 15 Fate, so you’ll want to do this sparingly.

[color=rgb(204, 204, 0)]Q:[/color] Why don’t the people I’ve added show up on social actions?
[color=rgb(204, 102, 0)]A:[/color] Every social action has its requirements, which both sender and receiver has to fulfil for an action to take place. If they don’t, their name won’t show up. Many social actions don’t work if the recipient is at Zee, in a menace state or otherwise occupied.

[color=rgb(204, 204, 0)]Q:[/color] Is there any way to hide my username when sending the actions? I’m shy/don’t want my tokens to be stolen
[color=rgb(204, 102, 0)]A:[/color] No. You can always ask the receiver to not send any actions back. Should you find anyone overly abusive, you can always send a mail to abuse@storynexus.com
edited by Kiptoo on 1/13/2021

Every social action has requirements, which both sender and receiver has to fulfil for a possible action to take place.

For K & C challenges - you need both to partake, be in London and have a form, AFAIK
Sending sulky bats with Scientific Notes requires both the sender and receiver to have 10 Sulky Bats in addition to ‘embarking on a scientific expedition’ 3+
Challenging people to plant contests require both sender and receiver to be at the same level, have the goods needed to send a challenge, and possibly be in London.

[color=#009900]Trimming the thread and adding notes. Thanks to Aximillio for maintaining the FAQ![/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
color=#009900 We will be adding functionality where the friends list add button searches first for username and then charactername in current StoryNexus world only (in this case, Fallen London) which will make life easier. I can’t give you an ETA on this, though.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
color=#009900 The ‘black screen of loneliness’ bug can indeed be fixed by the player changing their username (but not by reverting it, which usually won’t be possible). Just adding an underscore or number is enough.[/color]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Trimming the thread and adding notes. Thanks to Aximillio for maintaining the FAQ![/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
color=#009900 We will be adding functionality where the friends list add button searches first for username and then charactername in current StoryNexus world only (in this case, Fallen London) which will make life easier. I can’t give you an ETA on this, though.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
color=#009900 The ‘black screen of loneliness’ bug can indeed be fixed by the player changing their username (but not by reverting it, which usually won’t be possible). Just adding an underscore or number is enough.[/color][/quote]

(1) That sounds AWESOME! No more hunting for strange Storynexus names then (Well, at least it’ll be easier to hunt)

(2) All right, thanks for confirmation :)

[color=#009900]Good news: (1) is now implemented. You can now add users to your friends list by current-world character name.[/color]

I must admit that was a lot sooner than I thought, but that’s really awesome!

I hope someone can help me figure out an issue I am having with adding a specific contact. I am trying to add my SO’s character and have tried both his StoryNexus username as well as his Fallen London character name. I continue to receive error messages that the user does not exist / character name is not found. Also, I cannot view his profile – the link redirects to a login screen even though I am logged in.[li]

If he is logged in, he also cannot load MY profile. He also receives the same error messages when trying to add me.

My profile is: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Serada

His profile is: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Mr~Strange

I have been able to view other random profiles and add contacts that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (ETA I have verified that neither of our profiles are set to private.)[/li][li]
edited by Serada on 5/9/2016

I would recommend sending an email in to support to see if they can sort it out: support@failbettergames.com

[quote=Serada]My profile is: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Serada
His profile is: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Mr~Strange[/quote]
Odd - I can see Serada but not Mr Strange. (just adding my 2c, as a stranger who’s never interacted with either of you.)
Hopefully support can sort this one out for you soon. ^_^

Same here. I get:

Our apologies!

Something terrible has happened. Perhaps a server has shattered in a spray of sparks, or a database flared and guttered like a dying star. More likely the Bazaar has hiccupped, or twitched in its sleep, and you are the victim of inexplicable but transient circumstances.

If you click here, all will likely be well.

Clicking “here” brings up the log-in screen.

There’s an error in the link of the second profile you posted. But copying and pasting the URL I can’t find the &quotMr~Strange&quot profile.
I do see, however, a &quotMrStrange&quot. Is that you or someone else?

If you’re sure the profile name is &quotMr Strange&quot, or &quotMr~Strange&quot (and not &quotMrStrange&quot), then you need to call support.

[quote=Meradine Heidenreich]Same here. I get:

Our apologies!

Something terrible has happened. Perhaps a server has shattered in a spray of sparks, or a database flared and guttered like a dying star. More likely the Bazaar has hiccupped, or twitched in its sleep, and you are the victim of inexplicable but transient circumstances.

If you click here, all will likely be well.

Clicking &quothere&quot brings up the log-in screen.[/quote]
This is because the link used had bad characters at the end of it (part of HTML tagging not belonging to the URL). If you just copy/paste the profile’s URL, then isntead of the server error message you’ll get the normal behaviour when trying a non-existent profile name (i.e. redirect to the game).

[quote=dov]There’s an error in the link of the second profile you posted. But copying and pasting the URL I can’t find the &quotMr~Strange&quot profile.
I do see, however, a &quotMrStrange&quot. Is that you or someone else?

If you’re sure the profile name is &quotMr Strange&quot, or &quotMr~Strange&quot (and not &quotMrStrange&quot), then you need to call support.[/quote]

We looked at the MrStrange profile and that is definitely not him – different cameo and different attire. When he brings up his profile, the URL does say Mr~Strange with the ~. I’ll contact support to see if they can sort it out. It’s just weird to me that he also can’t find ME.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

[li]

I wanted to update everyone in case anyone else ever runs into the same issue. My dear Mr Strange somehow ended up creating an account in a staging section, rather than the proper website/game. Support got him sorted out and now all is well. Again, many thanks to everyone who commented!

&quot[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Once you know your friend’s Username/Character name, you can add them to your friends list at [/color]http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/su[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)].&quot[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Oh dear. This URL no longer appears to exist? It just redirects me to www.fallenlondon.com. Am I doing it wrong, or is there another way to add contacts now?[/color]

No, this URL indeed no longer works. All FL links with &quotstorynexus&quot in them don’t work anymore.

The new URL is Fallen London which is best accessed via &quotAccount settings&quot in the black bar at the top right of your screen (on a desktop computer. I have no idea how all this looks on mobile.)

Also, whenever you click on a social action in-game, you should see both &quotAdd a contact&quot where you can enter usernames, and &quotSuggest a contact&quot which will suggest a random player.

Hope this helps a bit! :)
edited by phryne on 12/2/2018

This does indeed help. Thank you so much!

This guide became really outdated over the last 7 years, but a lot of this should now be up-to-date.