So! Who's having frame-rate issues?

I just wish I knew the best way to report these issues. Has the development team managed to pin down the cause? I.E. is it the graphics settings, the number of moving objects on the screen, or the new &quotmobile camera&quot etc. The developers might not need any additional information. I’m just not sure if it helps to keep reporting these issues.

[li]

I just wish I knew the best way to report these issues. Has the development team managed to pin down the cause? I.E. is it the graphics settings, the number of moving objects on the screen, or the new &quotmobile camera&quot etc. The developers might not need any additional information. I’m just not sure if it helps to keep reporting these issues.

[li][/quote]

First, do the normal things you always do: update your graphics card drivers, compare your computer’s specs against the min/recommended specs, all that stuff. They’ve said they’ll be doing further optimization as the game gets closer to launch, and that’s pretty standard.

If your computer meets the recommended specs and is up to date but you’re still having these issues, it couldn’t hurt to send a report in. I know that listing basic specs, video card type, etc, can be useful… (sometimes, for instance, the devs’ computers are intel and there’s a bug that occurs ONLY with AMD processors. If everyone who has that problem sends in their specs, they can start to recognize patterns.)

That said, sometimes weird stuff like this doesn’t end up being easily fixable. Things like (for instance) changing the engine so that framerate doesn’t influence turning radius may be difficult or impossible. If you give them information about the problem and your system, they may be able to to see some patterns or commonalities they otherwise would miss… but there’s no guarantee of a return on your time investment or a fix for your problems. So it’s up to you whether you want to decide to make actual bug reports, and how much effort to put into them. In my opinion, anyway.
[/li]
edited by CulturalGeek on 12/15/2014

I’m pretty sure the problem is the fact that my computer is like 5 years old and was probably not top of the line when it was new. Unfortunately I am pretty non computer savvy (if I could afford to still be a Mac user I would be, if that tells you anything) so I haven’t the slightest idea how to do any of those “normal things you always do.”

Heh, sorry. I didn’t mean to be obtuse!

The basic things I always do when a computer is acting up are:

1. Run a Malaware cleanup program like malawarebites, in case something dumb is eating up your memory in the background.
  2. Same thing with an antivirus, just in case
  3. Check if my video card’s drivers are up-to-date. You can usually figure out how to do that via your computer’s Help system, though some video cards run their own ‘maintenance’ dashboards in your system tray.

If all those things come back as up-to-date/clean, then it’s probably that your computer just isn’t powerful enough. At that point, there are only a few things you can easily do, especially if it’s a laptop. Figuring out whether or not you can upgrade the RAM is a good idea - the first major repair on a computer I owned that I ever did was adding extra ram to an ancient macbook so I could play WoW. Stuff like that can be a little challenging, but sometimes a little googling can go a long way.

If it’s a desktop, there’s a lot more you can easily do yourself, or get someone to help you with. I know this stuff seems intimidating, but

lol goddamn Iron Republic. I ALWAYS hit E to launch and then down arrow to come to a stop straight away leaving there so I can turn without hitting the rocks. I am doing better in combat now I’ve had a little practice but it’s more to do with backing up or moving forward than flanking and turning and things so at times I range across a lot of map depending how determined my target is to chase me.

Even with the ability to turn I have now (nobody can get out of the Iron Republic without braking. That port was OBVIOUSLY designed by devils), I still find that retreating or running forward and hitting with the aft gun are the most effective tactics. My current strategy is to make my prey chase me TOWARDS my next intended port, as much as possible. Maybe flanking will seem more possible when I have a new engine, still running the Illryian.

Forwards and backwards while they circle around is the best way to get more shots in for the money, but only when you’ve got something that fires both ways…

Only after the steel update went up did I start seeing massive stuttering and general lag. Reducing the resolution didn’t do anything and it was set to adequate. Not exactly sure why the steel update in particular (optimization maybe?) caused this to happen but Sunless Sea is basically unplayable for me. Quite a shame.
edited by Atom Stratomsk on 1/1/2015

The terrible lag only occurs for me when the neutral-ship overflows occur, in addition to moderate lag if I re/load a page in my web browser in the background (yes, I sometimes alt-tab back and forth on really long straight routes, I am an uncultured swine, shush). However, there’s a really weird thing I experience where sometimes the D key just refuses to respond until I bang on the key and hold it down – and no, it’s not a problem with my keyboard, I don’t ever encounter a problem while typing nor have I encountered it in other WASD-using games I play.

I’ve been seeing more frame rate issues of late, typically I tough it out till I get to a port, then save out and come back in again fresh, I have no idea what’s causing it, something that’s down to a frame every five seconds can be running fine within seconds of a restart, so unless all passive objects are cleared from the vicinity when you restart, it shouldn’t be that.

Passive objects are indeed cleared/reset when you restart. I’ve sometimes taken advantage of this if, say, Mount Nomad was camping implacably in front of port.

edit: That’s also how the neutral-ship overpopulation gets fixed at the moment. Unless I’ve misunderstood your post.
edited by Fretling on 1/1/2015

[quote=Fretling]
Passive objects are indeed cleared/reset when you restart. I’ve sometimes taken advantage of this if, say, Mount Nomad was camping implacably in front of port.

edit: That’s also how the neutral-ship overpopulation gets fixed at the moment. Unless I’ve misunderstood your post.
edited by Fretling on 1/1/2015[/quote]

No, that seems to be the heart of it, it’s just a strange thing when you get the frame rate of doom in a place where there are no other objects running around, makes you wonder wha’ts out there, but I’d rather there be a game hint than everything slowing to impossible to let me know :)

I’ve noticed a little juddering from the off, but not the painful lag (on a MacBook Air that’s a couple of years old). That said, it stops being a little juddering and actually develops into a pause every 3 seconds when weather hits (although everything seems to pause together, so it hasn’t affected my gameplay as far as I can tell - I haven’t been in combat in weather so far).

Meee. Oddly, I’d managed to evade any frame-rate issues over the last few months, only for them to appear in the last few days.

A save and restart of Sunless Sea seems to fix the problem, but can get very awkward if it starts chugging horribly while I’m trying to avoid something nasty in the middle of nowhere.

Frame rate judder in weather while engaged with something tends to equal death, it gets seven or eight good hits while you’re still waiting for the frame to change, particularly if you’re up against something big. You’ll get away with it on a Crab and possibly a Jilly, but any of the big crabs or a lifeberg, much less one of the really big ones, it’s death for breakfast.

I think what I’m seeing is a frame rate thing, but I’m not sure: whenever I’m sailing the animation jumps about once every second. It only started after today’s update, and is actually a bit nauseating - it keeps happening even when I’m sailing in a straight line, at all speeds. Is this a bug or should I just fiddle with the settings some more?
It’s not so much a jump as much as lots of consecutive pauses, and it’s making my head ring like the Navigator’s :[[li]
edited by fortluna on 2/2/2015

Yeah i dont have the best computer in the world but it runs skyrim! (always my complaint when a game doesnt work) i didnt even realise that the turning was a problem until i saw someone else play and found out i was playing it with no hands basically. im not sure there is a solution

Yeah, if you have the stuttering slowdown bug to the point where you’re choosing your route based on which ports you can get to with a minimum of turning, there’s no current workaround apart from starting over with a new game/captain. It’s not due to computer or graphics card speed and it’s not a steam/GoG/Humble Bundle issue, and it’s not a virus/malware thing - it’s just some weird bug in the game code that FB hasn’t fixed yet, unfortunately.
edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 2/16/2015

thing is im still seeing the frame rate problem even after starting a new game, im assuming its a computer graphics thing but i know little of computers

I’m sure it’s not a problem of hardware characteristics, I have a very decent computer and there’s no reason Sunless Sea needs that much hardware. Also, in my case everything was completely fine and all of a sudden the stuttering appeared. After more than 50 hours of playing. There’s something nasty hidden between the way the game makes save files I think, as other people said.

Have you tried to erase the last game files before starting a new game?