So What is the Veteran Privy Counsellor's game?

Okay, I got booted from the palace and I’m confused. Despite my best efforts and paying some Fate, I am no closer to understanding what the point of that was. Just what is he up to, and what did he gain by having me create such a scandal?

If the answer is &quotkeep playing, you find out later on&quot then fine, end of thread. But if not then does anybody have any inklings? It’s all very confusing. I know there are a lot of these kind of cryptic shenanigans in Fallen London, but occasionally it might be nice to know just quite what the Hell is going on.

it’s nice to know I wasn’t the only one to remain completely baffled even after paying Fate to find out more :P

Honestly, I think it’s just a plot contrivance to move from the empress’s court to the Foreign Office. Maybe the Masters like to see the Empress get repeatedly outraged by radical opera, but that’s about as far as it goes.

As an aside, that Fate option is awfully disappointing, especially compared to the adjacent non-Fate option.

The Veteran Privy Councilor is an experienced London politician. If he were going to let you in on his game, it would be highly out of character.

The Fate option needs to get retired.

What’s his game?

I think he likes balleri. ball… ball… what the heck is it called again?

literally googles the word

… Ballet… riiiiiight.

Is it just me, or does the whole banishment thing come right out of the blue? My character has done many things purely for profit - for instance, the entire Dangerous storyline, at least until you get to monster-breeding, is of little interest to a professor of the exotic and forbidden. (Didn’t help that I put basically all Dangerous content off until I completed the Watchful progression and had already become a department head.) But I chalked it up to a diversion of the side, to raise some funds for research - all those Plaques don’t come cheap, you know. The same can be said about other parts of the Persuasive storyline - the professor isn’t really a social butterfly, and most endeavours (including writing so many novels) were more of a means to an end.

But then the banishment? There is simply no “end”! The VPC just tells you that he’s not commissioning you, because “you must have your own reasons” (or whatever his wording was). Well, I didn’t - I couldn’t care less about court intrigue unless it resulted in direct profit for me; and whatever my opinion of the Empress, making her feelings hurt with an opera (or was it a ballet, I don’t even remember) cannot achieve anything.

I ended up just mechanically pushing on through the story with the only goal being to get past that point. It made no sense for my character, but he had to do it anyway because otherwise I wouldn’t get to new content.

Its actually possible to get back into the court without going through the veteran privy counselor. An opportunity to do so may crop up during a governship stint, and i’ll say no more unless so asked.

AFAIK, the only thing the veteran toilet counselor does is tell you that that’s where you should go. There are no quality changes associated with playing that storylet that I noticed. So of course you can do it without him.
edited by xKiv on 11/11/2017

AFAIK, the only thing the veteran toilet counselor does is tell you that that’s where you should go. There are no quality changes associated with playing that storylet that I noticed. So of course you can do it without him.
edited by xKiv on 11/11/2017[/quote]

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]Is it just me, or does the whole banishment thing come right out of the blue? My character has done many things purely for profit - for instance, the entire Dangerous storyline, at least until you get to monster-breeding, is of little interest to a professor of the exotic and forbidden. (Didn’t help that I put basically all Dangerous content off until I completed the Watchful progression and had already become a department head.) But I chalked it up to a diversion of the side, to raise some funds for research - all those Plaques don’t come cheap, you know. The same can be said about other parts of the Persuasive storyline - the professor isn’t really a social butterfly, and most endeavours (including writing so many novels) were more of a means to an end.

But then the banishment? There is simply no &quotend&quot! The VPC just tells you that he’s not commissioning you, because &quotyou must have your own reasons&quot (or whatever his wording was). Well, I didn’t - I couldn’t care less about court intrigue unless it resulted in direct profit for me; and whatever my opinion of the Empress, making her feelings hurt with an opera (or was it a ballet, I don’t even remember) cannot achieve anything.

I ended up just mechanically pushing on through the story with the only goal being to get past that point. It made no sense for my character, but he had to do it anyway because otherwise I wouldn’t get to new content.[/quote]
I mean if you’re reasons that your character wants to be rewarded with a governorship than that still works fine I’d think? Which lines up for what your mechanical reasons for doing it are so

I always thought the Counsellor’s motive was a bit of a plot hook on hold, just like how the Affair of the Box or Secular Missionary took a very strange plot swerve after some period of neglect.

I don’t really think the Veteran Privy Counselor has an overarching plan or agenda. He portrays himself as more powerful and influential than he really is. He makes you a lot of promises leading up to and after the Opera, but he doesn’t keep any of them. The Opera might have been part of some stratagem in the Great Game, it might have simply been something to liven up the court, or it might have been a plot involving the Masters and the Bazaar. Whatever the reason, it’s probably not all that important in the larger scheme of things.

Caroline, your text (in your previous messages as well) is using a specific color, making it invisible unless highlighted (in Mobile Chrome, as well as in the desktop Chrome when trying to reply).

Is that better? I tried to change it – at my computer I see no difference – can you read it now?[/quote]
Yes, looks fine for me now.