Snow Child - I need to vent

Yesterday I completed Snow Child quest line…

Let me just vent how much I hate time sensitive quests that send you several times across the whole map to an underwhelming conclusion and even more underwhelming rewards. Thanks, FbG, for wasting several hours of my gaming time and for driving my captain to near bankruptcy.

I love the setting in this game but OMG how much I hated this particular quest.

Did you ever happen to do its Fallen London equivalent?

I dont know anything about it. I tried to play FL on a mobile device but the app quality is awful - out of 6 days I tried the app did not start on 3 days. During rest of the days the app was slow, sluggish and constantly crashed to desktop:). Not a very encouraging experience.
edited by vandersell on 10/19/2016

I ask because keeping a snowbeing in Fallen London was even more expensive and time-sensitive, and actually called you out for expecting a profit from it. It’s a thing with snowbeasts, I’m afraid. (Also, if you’re having issues with the app, you can email mobilesupport@failbettergames.com!)

I do not argue with that lore reasoning at all. The quest itself is still poorly designed, specifically the Station III part. And conclusion was very lackluster.

I don’t have strong feelings regarding this quest, except for the sore spot of &quotI am heading East anyway why do I have to drop him off at Irem and see him sail on a dingy rowboat Eastwards&quot. If we are going to the same direction at the same time why can’t we go together ;_;

I ran out of time.
I would much rather be in your position right now.

Did you really try to keep a child alive entirely because you thought you might get paid for it? Did you sacrifice all of that for the kid, and never once think that it might be because you cared about them, and wanted them to live? Was it really, the whole time, in anticipation that they might burst, like some kind of oaxaca treasure pot, and shower you in gold? I’m not sure I believe you. You saved somebody’s life. You made extraordinary sacrifice to do it. That’s noble. Heroic, even. If you’d stop and think a moment, I’m sure you’d be pretty proud of yourself. ^_^[li][/li][li]
edited by Gul al-Ahlaam on 10/19/2016

My current cap didn’t even bother. A Snow Child? Oh well. Might prolly melt sometime soon, was of course the first rational thought. Do I care? Well, the next captain might. I for one would rather get that cure for the doc first, thank you very much. One has to set priorities. Oh, look. It’s starting to melt already. shrug Was to be expected. See ya next game, then.

I didn’t expect to save it. The biggest reason I kept it around was because it had some of the captains blood in it. Also has a kind of cute, and kind of morbid interaction with the monkey foundling.

[quote=Gul al-Ahlaam]Did you really try to keep a child alive entirely because you thought you might get paid for it? Did you sacrifice all of that for the kid, and never once think that it might be because you cared about them, and wanted them to live? Was it really, the whole time, in anticipation that they might burst, like some kind of oaxaca treasure pot, and shower you in gold? I’m not sure I believe you. You saved somebody’s life. You made extraordinary sacrifice to do it. That’s noble. Heroic, even. If you’d stop and think a moment, I’m sure you’d be pretty proud of yourself. ^_^[li][/li][li]
edited by Gul al-Ahlaam on 10/19/2016[/quote][/li][li]Noble? I have no clue what you are talking about:). It’s a game. The quest started off interestingly enough. Come on - a freaking fearsome Santa Claus hires you to do stuff, creates a child from your blood and snow. Yes I had expectations to such an interesting quest start. And it all dissolved into a small boat rowing to the east after all the freaking effort I put into it? I call it very lackluster and disappointing. Rewards are a gamey thing that you expect usually out of doing some specific tasks in a game. Quite normal dont you think? If you want to put it into &quotchild exploding into huge pile of treasure&quot - yes, I would prefer that to the current conclusion:). OOOOOR - in a story heavy game I would have expected something more story oriented to happen. But alas, no.[/li]

There is the option to help a servant of the Masters instead by switching out the vial. That particular option hints at greater rewards.

FBG tends to provide three different kinds of options in their stories: you can increase your profit, uphold your morals, or learn things. Often you’ll get two of those at once, but sometimes you’re forced to choose. It makes sense: doing the right thing frequently comes with a cost. If one prefers more money, it seems that option was signposted. But to help a dying childlike being find peace - I’d say that’s a worthy burden for a captain to bear.

(Edited per Optimatum’s correction)
edited by Ginneon Thursday on 10/20/2016

The guy delivering the request is a servant of the Masters, not Admiralty.

I loved it. In an &quotOw, right in the feels&quot kind of way. Racing against time to save a life that should not be, a life I helped make, with my own blood. The fear that I might not make it. Watching a child, a child that was in some ways my child, slowly melt away. Succeeding, only to watch him sail away, and never know his fate.

Sunless Sea and Fallen London are, at heart, story-driven. Many of Fallen London’s storylines and some of Sunless Sea’s are actively negative for the player, but people do them anyway, for the story. To find out what happens.