Should I sell expensive things?

All of my stats are in the 50s and 60s. I’ve been picking up a few valuable items, notably a Night-Whisper, a couple of trade secrets, and a couple of lesser things like a nodule of trembling amber, a direful reflection, etc.

I’m noticing some equipment in the echo bazaar that looks mighty tempting, and I’m wondering if it’s a terrible idea to sell this stuff, since maybe it’s important or very useful later, but no easier to get.

On a somewhat unrelated matter, I’m a little unclear as to what I should be doing. There are fewer obvious stories now than there were when my stats were in the 20s and 30s, although there are plenty of ways to grind.

A good rule of thumb is to never sell anything you don’t know how to get more of, and if the method for getting more takes a while or is otherwise annoying try to avoid selling all of that thing.

The Trade Secrets should be turned into Antique Mysteries and Searing Enigmas before you sell them, however. The 10 action cost is totally worth getting a lot more echoes out of them.

Well, I’ve no idea what to do with mysteries or enigmas, either, so I guess I’ll just hold on to them. Thanks!

The Antique Mysteries will come in handy later when you’re wanting a reservation in the Royal Beth, a 4 card lodging. Searing Enigmas are used in some places, like in Nemesis and in the creation of an Impossible Theorem.

I once made the mistake of selling about 20 Echoes worth of Whispered Hints because I wanted nice clothing, not realising at the time that I would need 80,000 of them for a certain Lodgings. There was a significant amount of regret…

On the flip-side, I used to write novels in-game and sell them for 30 Echoes each. It wasn’t until I decided to create a Zubmarine that one of the novels I’d written was going to be particularly helpful. Thankfully it was one I hadn’t sold for cash, or else I was going to have to write the thing all over again. :-)

^ This, entirely.

What I tend to do is sell Nevercold Brass, Rostygold, and Moon Pearls (down to about 500ish, so I always have some left over if a storylet requires it.)
Mainly because I have reliable ways to regain larger quantities of those items, and they don’t get converted up to higher-tier items which I may want to have later. :-)

Generally speaking, you should probably hold on to anything and everything that sells for more than 10 pence, and DEFINITELY anything worth more than an Echo, regardless of where or how you found it, unless you are SPECIFICALLY attempting to grind cash.

(By the way, the lodgings Kittenpox mentions are available at about a 20% discount if you pay in Bazaar Permits instead of Whispered Hints. Don’t buy the four-card lodgings from the Bazaar unless you have to, it’s a waste of money.)

In particular, since you aren’t yet a Person of Some Importance, you will want to hold on to basically everything you own. You will need a great deal of resources to purchase some of the fun PoSI-only items, such as Club membership or a Gang of Hoodlums. (It’s possible to get some of the PoSI equipment slots filled without spending goods through a substantial use of Fate, but not all such items are created equal.)

More than anything, though, the consensus is &quotdon’t sell anything that might be useful later on&quot, which, since the game is constantly being updated, is basically &quotanything that you can’t grind solely in London through storylets alone&quot.
[li]

Yeah, my rule is never to sell anything I can’t grind for fairly easily at a moment’s notice. Money comes slower, but that’s less of a bother than suddenly having to look up the easiest way to get five hundred Memories of Distant Shores or whatever to meet an unexpected requirement.
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 7/3/2015

Copies of your novel can’t be sold. Unless this is a recent change, I suspect you are thinking of selling short stories. Which could get you into trouble if you’re planning to get promoted to Author and accidentally sell the story you’ll need to prove you’re good enough.

Copies of your novel can’t be sold. Unless this is a recent change, I suspect you are thinking of selling short stories. Which could get you into trouble if you’re planning to get promoted to Author and accidentally sell the story you’ll need to prove you’re good enough.[/quote]

Maybe that’s what I meant. It was quite some time ago, in any case, so I can’t remember the item names. :-)

[quote=Jeremy Avalon](By the way, the lodgings Kittenpox mentions are available at about a 20% discount if you pay in Bazaar Permits instead of Whispered Hints. Don’t buy the four-card lodgings from the Bazaar unless you have to, it’s a waste of money.)[/quote]For the record, buying the Brass Embassy lodging at the Bazaar isn’t a terrible idea if you don’t happen to be particularly chummy with the Devils.

[li]