Should I Go to Flit Before Reaching 60 Shadowy?

Hey,

Quick question about entering new areas and recommended skill levels. Right now I have a Shadowy level of around 40. The message before doing the skill check to enter the area is something along the lines of, &quotThis area is most interesting for Shadowy 60+&quot. Right now my skill check is like 50 percent, so getting into the area doesn’t seem like much of a problem, but how seriously should I take this advice? I don’t really feel like grinding another 20 levels, but if it means missing out on content that I’ll never see because I entered the area too quickly, I’ll think about it. Would appreciate some clarification, thanks.

[quote=Carl Lyngholm]Hey,

Quick question about entering new areas and recommended skill levels. Right now I have a Shadowy level of around 40. The message before doing the skill check to enter the area is something along the lines of, &quotThis area is most interesting for Shadowy 60+&quot. Right now my skill check is like 50 percent, so getting into the area doesn’t seem like much of a problem, but how seriously should I take this advice? I don’t really feel like grinding another 20 levels, but if it means missing out on content that I’ll never see because I entered the area too quickly, I’ll think about it. Would appreciate some clarification, thanks.[/quote]

It’s been a long time since I’ve made that transition and my new alt hasn’t started the shadowy track but my impression has been that new areas open up as you complete the &quotMaking Your Name&quot quest line. I assume the Flit works the same way in which case I would recommend continuing to make your name (which comes with some hefty stat boosts at major dividing lines) and end up in the Flit when it sends you there.

If you want to skip over the making our name stuff my memory is that 40 shadowy is going to be too low to achieve much in the Flit but it’s been a long time so I could be wrong there.

There’s no danger in going, but most of the interesting stuff isn’t unlocked there until you reach the appropriate level.

What’s your current Making Your Name for Shadowy? With the Making Your Name system, locations will open up on their own as you reach them (and I believe that most storylets in the Flit will be locked until you pass those checks).

If I remember, when the game gives a skill level suggestion like that, it’s a minimum of when you’ll hit 60% success on skill checks. So it’s not an easy area at that point. As suspicion is particularly troublesome if you go to the menace area multiple times (and can’t be removed easily except through buying Absolution Solution or the Confound the Constables Storylet in Spite) it’s not fun to fail constantly.

I don’t know if you’re asking for a number, if so, can’t seem to find a &quotMaking Your Name&quot level anywhere, but entering this area seems to be the next logical step under the Making Your Name story heading, so… Anyway, thanks for your help (and the above responses as well).
edited by Carl Gregory Lyngholm on 6/24/2016

[quote=Carl Lyngholm]I don’t know if you’re asking for a number, if so, can’t seem to find a &quotMaking Your Name&quot level anywhere, but entering this area seems to be the next logical step under the Making Your Name story heading, so… Anyway, thanks for your help (and the above responses as well).
edited by Carl Gregory Lyngholm on 6/24/2016[/quote]

So, assuming you’re not using the iOS App, you should see a Storylet called &quotOpportunism in Spite&quot in Spite (exactly). There’s a little Mask icon to the right of it, next to the ‘Go’ button. If you mouse over it, what does it say?

I’m pretty sure you have to sneak into the Flit to advance the Shadowy storyline. Make sure to bring a couple thousand Jade beforehand.

The Flit is heavily focused on larceny. When you’re casing out areas to rob, you’re going to spend a lot of actions per click. Losing 3 actions can suck sometimes, so make sure to check the wiki or ask more questions before you start trying anything risky.

IMO you definitely need a lot of Shadowy to do well in the Flit, because you will not be done with it for a long time. If you decide you want to get that Shadowy up I recommend providing some light entertainment in the Flit once you get up there.

[quote=Parelle][quote=Carl Lyngholm]I don’t know if you’re asking for a number, if so, can’t seem to find a &quotMaking Your Name&quot level anywhere, but entering this area seems to be the next logical step under the Making Your Name story heading, so… Anyway, thanks for your help (and the above responses as well).
edited by Carl Gregory Lyngholm on 6/24/2016[/quote]

So, assuming you’re not using the iOS App, you should see a Storylet called &quotOpportunism in Spite&quot in Spite (exactly). There’s a little Mask icon to the right of it, next to the ‘Go’ button. If you mouse over it, what does it say?[/quote]

Hey… when I mouse over the mask is says, &quotA Name Whispered in Darkness 3&quot… and FYI, I made to Flit though and (as expected) most of the challenges are Tough and above… Thanks for responding…
edited by Carl Gregory Lyngholm on 6/24/2016

The Flit should cover you from 60-100ish, but for now Spite should still have stuff for you to do that’s more suited to your existing stats.

There are some items which can help boost your Attributes, but I wouldn’t advise going too crazy buying fancy outfits, etc. Especially as the stuff you can likely afford now will likely become obsolete when you’re able to afford better, and you’re still not that far through the game.

You could consider taking on the Training Profession of Pickpocket to help speed that process up. You should be able to find that in your Lodgings. If you already have a profession and are happy to change, the means to abandon your existing profession is also found in your Lodgings.

[quote=Kittenpox]The Flit should cover you from 60-100ish, but for now Spite should still have stuff for you to do that’s more suited to your existing stats.

There are some items which can help boost your Attributes, but I wouldn’t advise going too crazy buying fancy outfits, etc. Especially as the stuff you can likely afford now will likely become obsolete when you’re able to afford better, and you’re still not that far through the game.

You could consider taking on the Training Profession of Pickpocket to help speed that process up. You should be able to find that in your Lodgings. If you already have a profession and are happy to change, the means to abandon your existing profession is also found in your Lodgings.[/quote]
If you’re buying fancy outfits for shadowy- the first item you should buy is either the prisoner’s mask (if you don’t have it when you started, it’s a tiny boost at a cost that’s chump change even for someone at your level- [0.08 pence, really]if it ever saves you one action failure, it’s paid for itself several times over, right there) Then, buy the shabby opera cloak- it only costs 50 pence, and unless you’re doing double-stat checks, the debuff to the other stats just means you should only wear it when doing shadowy challenges. cut-purse’s mittens are also good, if prettu expensive.

If you already have it, the best bazaar item in hat slot is the sneak-theif’s mask. you’ll certainly never find a better substitute at the bazaar. so buy it, since it’s the best you can get- and even if it’s really not that good, it only costs 28.8 echoes. [alternatively, buy cheap items for 1 or 2 points shadowy. sure, they might cost a lot now, but they ate useful, and by the time you’ve upgraded, the money &quotwasted&quot will be chump change]

Generally, gear-wise you should buy cheap stuff that’s an upgrade, or stuff that’d require a lot of echoes to significantly improve on- If it’d require over 100 echoes more, and more than triple the price- buy the cheap item until you can afford the expensive ones. There aren’t that many instances of that, but they do exist

edited by Grenem on 6/25/2016