Should I become A Person of Some Importance?

Good evening kind sirs. I am new to this community so forgive any mistakes I may make.

I come before you all with a question: Recently, I have got to 100 Persuasive. I am given to understand this means I can become A Person Of Some Importance. However, I have my reservations on whether or not I SHOULD. You see, I am given to understand that a lot of the game becomes much harder when you do so, like menace stats being much more difficult to eradicate. However, I am also given to understand that the rewards are sometimes much more enticing.

In short, my question is simple: Can someone tell me the good and bad points of becoming a Person of Some Importance, if the good outweighs the bad or vice versa, if they would recommend it, and anything else of note they can think of and reckon I should know in regards to this important position?

It unlocks content and gives you more equipment slots to fill (such as a ship). You also need to become a POSI to reach the highest tier of your profession if that’s something you’re interested in. Things don’t really become more difficult - the content you’re currently doing will stay at the difficulty it is currently, and I believe only the menace reducing items from the Bazaar suffer any sort of lowered effectiveness. It’s definitely worth doing at some point.

That said, you haven’t mentioned the state of your other stats. You’ll need all 4 at 100 to become a Person of Some Importance if you’re not going to bypass those checks with Fate. It might be some time before you’re actually ready for Importance if you’ve been strictly focused on Persuasive.

[quote=Sara Hysaro]It unlocks content and gives you more equipment slots to fill (such as a ship). You also need to become a POSI to reach the highest tier of your profession if that’s something you’re interested in. Things don’t really become more difficult - the content you’re currently doing will stay at the difficulty it is currently, and I believe only the menace reducing items from the Bazaar suffer any sort of lowered effectiveness. It’s definitely worth doing at some point.

That said, you haven’t mentioned the state of your other stats. You’ll need all 4 at 100 to become a Person of Some Importance if you’re not going to bypass those checks with Fate. It might be some time before you’re actually ready for Importance if you’ve been strictly focused on Persuasive.[/quote]

Thank you for telling me this. My Watchful is at 63, my Shadowy at 49, and my Dangerous at 33. It looks like I have a way to go fist. Thank you.

You can still start the posi story. It’ll wait until you’ve reached 100 in all levels.
Personally I liked the posi level grind. It made me get much more acquainted with all the locations in game. I had a lot of fun exploring the stories I hadn’t paid attention to before. And each time I moved on from an area, I felt a little sad, like I was leaving a home of sorts. You certainly gain a deeper appreciation for the world of the game.
(Plus the high you get from finally achieving posi is wonderful.)

And then you can start spending months of your life grinding bejewelled lenses for that blasted Zubmarine!

I think the whirring contraptions are worse, really. (I mean, part of that is I dislike Wilmot’s End though xP but it also is like three times as many soooo.)

And yeah just do the POSI story as you unlock it, you won’t be able to get past the first step since that’s the dangerous check, though.

So the zubmarine is good? I always thought that the yacht is cheaper and offer better BDR…

I think the whirring contraptions are worse, really. (I mean, part of that is I dislike Wilmot’s End though xP but it also is like three times as many soooo.)

And yeah just do the POSI story as you unlock it, you won’t be able to get past the first step since that’s the dangerous check, though.[/quote]

[quote=zbr308]So the zubmarine is good? I always thought that the yacht is cheaper and offer better BDR…
[/quote]

I think it’s more a matter of what you think would be cooler, really.

But yeah a yacht is better for BDR and probably cheaper if you’re not really unlucky.

Neither are cheap. The Yacht is more BDR (which is valuable for those indulging in the Notability game,) though the Zubmarine does give Bizarre, which is rarer to acquire. Both will allow you extra opportunities/ways around troublesome cards while at Zee.

Personally, I rather enjoy my Yacht and the profit it tends to bring while zailing. It also seems more valuable while in the Sea of Voices near Polythreme to me.

Neither of them are cheap at all. However, the extra stories available once you have your own ship are worth it in my opinion, as there are many places you cannot visit without your own boat.

As mentioned, it is more a matter of taste than anything. Do you WANT a Zubmarine? I had the unfortunate experience of being exposed to great literature as a child, and so the thought of Captain Nemo-ing my way about the Unterzee appealed to me way more than being a great floating party barge.

Well if you just want to visit places in a ship you should probably start with the tramp steamer or the clipper and save up for stuff for the more expensive ships.

Besides I clearly am destined to get a zubmarine since I’ll need one to visit the Lorn-Flukes.