Ships

In Fallen London one can acquire four different types of ships,
but only one at a time.

Which ship is according to you the best one and why?

Cheers!

I think it is actually five, maybe more. I know of the Cladery Heart, for all I know there may be other rare ones too.

Can’t speak for best, all I know is my zub, and I love it.

the yacht gives +2 respectable, and has nice cards as well

The Yacht is probably mechanically the best, due to the BDR boost. The zee clipper allows slightly faster transit and the zub avoids some of the bad cards. Dunno about fate locked stuff.

Their actual performance on the zee is mostly inconsequential so if you’re concerned about that, don’t be.
edited by Kaijyuu on 1/28/2018

Zubmarine or no-marine. There is no zubstitute for the Zubmarine. Other than being a zubmarine and being amazing as any zub does, it also comes with a set of bragging rights that say &quotI painfully grinded for this&quot.

The yacht also has a miserable grind, and it’s luck-based!

If you want no-frills travel, the Rusty Tramp Steamer is probably the most easily acquired. The Zee-Clipper is only a little more work/expense and improves travel very slightly. After that you’re mostly going for bragging rights, which then depends on what you want to brag about, or really all-in on BDR for Notability.

I bought a yacht (and got lucky on the first try). No regrets!

The Zub probably has the biggest impact on travel, esp. if you’re trying to avoid running into Troubled Waters. It dodges two troublesome cards (as opposed to the yacht, which dodges one, and that only at the highest levels of Troubled Waters), and the card it adds to your hand functions very like the Corvette card as well. I’ve noticed a particular beneficial effect when Seal-hunting, as I can hold the right cards in my hand to quickly lower Troubled Waters after making the catch.

On the other hand, the yacht does give +2 BDR instead of +1, which is not insignificant. If you don’t intend to zail much, that’s probably the deciding factor by itself.
If you do, the danger card the yacht dodges isn’t common, but it is certainly a pain, and dodging it might buy you into other cards that can help you out of the situation (if getting out of the situation is, in fact, what you want). It doesn’t help your zailing much, but it does let you turn a neutral card into a more profitable one, and its own card is fairly profitable as well.

The best advice (and I’d say many old salts would agree) is probably to get your sea legs on a tramp steamer until you’ve decided what kind of benefits you’d prefer out of a ship.

I have a Zee Clipper, and am seriously eyeing the idea of getting rid of it for a Yacht, even though I’ve had the Clipper for years. Will I need to redo all the preparatory storylets, or will I just need the items necessary to get me into the fateful (no pun intended) poker game?

Rusty Tramp-Steamer:
Pros: It’s really cheap compared to the other ones.
Cons: It doesn’t do anything except for being cheap.

Swift Zee-Clipper:
Pros: It noticeably shortens zee-journeys
Cons: No BDR boost whatsoever.

Zubmarine:
Pros: It’s a Zubmarine! Also it has 1 point of Bizarre and you can avoid some bad-ish cards with it.
Cons: It only has 1 point of BDR.

Majestic Pleasure-Yacht:
Pros: +2 BDR, better than the other ships, its cards provide a source of some items, including the best grind for Secluded Addresses in the game
Cons: It’s neither fast, nor can it avoid many of the bad cards.

Total:
The Zee-Clipper may be fast, but one usually doesn’t spend that much time at Zee, so it’s neglible in my opinion. For the same reason the Zubmarine’s extra options on the cards aren’t too useful as well. BDR however is very useful and every point counts, so I reccommend choosing the Yacht.

As for Catherine Raymond - you will need to gather the supplies to steal your clipper, build your Zubmarine, gamble for your Yacht or buy your Tramp-Steamer, but you will not have to provide a crew or the other preparations again.

Rusty Tramp-Steamer is allright to go zailing and decide later. I shifted to Zub because of RP reasons only (would prefer a Dreaded ship, but Bizarre is still more my style than Respectable).

Speaking of ships, could someone PM me with the text from getting the Heart , the card’s, but also the reward.

Cheers!

Thank you everyone for the ideas, I probably will sell my Zubmarine (all those whirring Contraption grinds…) for the Yacht after reading all the opinions so far.
I do want Shadowy 215 after all. (Go Notability grind…)

The Zee-Clipper. Because ships are for zailing.

It’s much easier to acquire, and you can get out of dangerous cards at all stages of Troubled Waters.

[quote=Parvorus]Rusty Tramp-Steamer:
Pros: It’s really cheap compared to the other ones.
Cons: It doesn’t do anything except for being cheap.

Swift Zee-Clipper:
Pros: It noticeably shortens zee-journeys
Cons: No BDR boost whatsoever.

Zubmarine:
Pros: It’s a Zubmarine! Also it has 1 point of Bizarre and you can avoid some bad-ish cards with it.
Cons: It only has 1 point of BDR.

Majestic Pleasure-Yacht:
Pros: +2 BDR, better than the other ships, its cards provide a source of some items, including the best grind for Secluded Addresses in the game
Cons: It’s neither fast, nor can it avoid many of the bad cards.

Total:
The Zee-Clipper may be fast, but one usually doesn’t spend that much time at Zee, so it’s neglible in my opinion. For the same reason the Zubmarine’s extra options on the cards aren’t too useful as well. BDR however is very useful and every point counts, so I reccommend choosing the Yacht.

As for Catherine Raymond - you will need to gather the supplies to steal your clipper, build your Zubmarine, gamble for your Yacht or buy your Tramp-Steamer, but you will not have to provide a crew or the other preparations again.[/quote]

Got it. Thanks, Parvorus, for your kind response.

My conclusion is that I have enough supplies already, but I may want to get a few more for a margin to avoid dipping below what I consider to be sensible levels of stock, especially since I could well have to try several times for the Yacht.

I learned that I could choose another ship later on after I started going after the yatch…

I may have made a tactical error. However, I’m not going to give up, at the very least, as a matter of pride. I just need to do some grinding…

I’m so happy right now, After so much grinding, and so many lost comprehensive bribes (the only thing I needed to grind extra for), I finally won the yacht!

Ah, I’m so happy. But now that I have a ship, I think I’ll hang around london (to, ahem, recover my fortune), to experience my first feast of the exceptional rose.