Ship Outfitting Simulator/Calculator!

Hi all,

I released this on Reddit several weeks ago, but it looks like all the good community is here - so here I am! I also see it’s been on sale for Steam Summer Sale, so a good time for this to get some visibility for new users.

Just letting everyone know about an online tool I made, Wolfstack Workshop:

https://amcnicoll.com/shipyard/

The UI (in &quotAnalysis&quot mode) looks like this:

Despite having well over a hundred hours in Sunless Sea, I often found myself a bit confused when it comes to ship performance. Like many others, I didn’t quite understand how weight affected speed, how power affect fuel consumption, etc. etc. It always seems like someone is asking &quotIs X better than X?&quot without a satisfactory response.

So, after harvesting some info from the community (specially thanks to rurku1 on reddit for his spreadsheet) I put this tool together for you all to use.

I have a few extra features planned for it (plots! graphs!), but you should find it useful the way it is now. I’ll get back to it when I’m done with this busy streak I’m having.

Feedback and questions appreciated! Salt’s blessings!

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

I’m fascinated by all the information to be gleaned here. The Cutter’s even smaller than a Launch! The Cladery Heart really is worth getting! I don’t need to feel bad about never getting the Serpentine, because it’s not that great an engine anyway!

Thanks.

[quote=Teaspoon] I don’t need to feel bad about never getting the Serpentine, because it’s not that great an engine anyway!
[/quote]

But it’s got the best explosion ever!

This is a pretty neat tool. It’s a very nice UI and you included all of the explanation behind your calculations, which is all extremely interesting.

I found myself wishing the tooltips for the various officers and equipment slots included the stats along with the name.

I wasn’t really clear on what &quotGear 1&quot and &quotGear 2&quot do?

Oh, wait… Hang me for a landlubber. That’s the boiler settings for the engine.

Mostly I’m impressed at what a nice UI you’ve made. It’s all very pretty and easy to use. Well done.

I’m a little surprised that more powerful prow lights don’t have larger power requirements. So, lights are strictly a matter of the Veils versus Mirrors trade-off, eh? I wouldn’t have expected that.

edit

On another note - There’s something rather cute about measuring distance in &quotVenderbights&quot. Especially on a Zee where distance has a way of being &quotrubbery&quot. I like it.
edited by slickriptide on 6/27/2017

Excellent work. It would truly be tremendous if we could have tooltips on the items/officer when hovering the mouse over them instead of having to refer constantly to the library.

Also I’m a bit confused by the cost efficiency in VB over kiloEchoes. I assume I’m getting something wrong here.

Splendid work anyway :)

Is there any chance that you would realease the files so that it could take modded games and new items and such into account as well?

[quote=Machallan]Excellent work. It would truly be tremendous if we could have tooltips on the items/officer when hovering the mouse over them instead of having to refer constantly to the library.

Also I’m a bit confused by the cost efficiency in VB over kiloEchoes. I assume I’m getting something wrong here.

Splendid work anyway :)

Is there any chance that you would realease the files so that it could take modded games and new items and such into account as well?[/quote]

First of all, thanks to everyone who’s responded to far - glad this is proving fun/useful for some people. Since it looks like more than one of you would like some stats in the tooltips, I can try to work that into the next update.

VB over kiloEchoes is a unit of cost efficiency because it measures how far (VB) you can for a given amount of cash (kiloEchoes). It takes both supply and fuel consumption into account.

As far as releasing source goes: yes, that seems like it would be a reasonable thing to do once it’s all squared away. I hope to be able to repurpose this basic format once Sunless Skies comes out, if enough of the concepts carry over. In the event I’m tied up when it gets release, it could be useful if someone else from the community needs to step in and take care of that.

Any chance of an ENGINE OVERLOAD option? :P

Getting the Serpentine is actually deceptively easy. I’m currently working on a lineage where I get every single Trophy, so I needed a powerful but efficient engine to complement buying a better ship at the start of each run. Turns out you can just complete the Magician’s questline once, pass on the Satisfied Magician each time, and head to the drydock with 1200 echoes for each new Captain. Turns out the Serpentine may not need a trapped Fingerking after all, just a very satisfied chief engineer.

That’s what the &quotTurbo On&quot button is! Some of my favorite hypothetical scenarios involve using that with the Elderly Steeple-Engine and a Suppressor. Works out surprisingly well.

Oh, I thought that was a Full Speed button. Any chance of that then?

(Also wouldn’t it be impossible to get ENGINE OVERLOAD with a Suppressor?)

[quote=Optimatum]Oh, I thought that was a Full Speed button. Any chance of that then?

(Also wouldn’t it be impossible to get ENGINE OVERLOAD with a Suppressor?)[/quote]

Wait, I think I’ve confused myself, or you, or us both.

I think what you call Full Speed is Gear 2 - that is, the fastest your shop is &quotsupposed&quot to go without risking engine explosions.

The condition that can potentially result in engine overload (crew/hull loss) is what I call Turbo, where you dump more fuel into the engine than it’s meant to handle.

The suppressor allows you to this (Turbo) without the risk of the engine overloading.

Am I missing anything?

What you’re calling Turbo, I was calling Full Speed. I was half-jokingly asking for an option for the ENGINE OVERLOAD condition - the temporary condition from a rare success on the Fire! event that grants a ton of engine power and efficiency.

Ah, cool! I didn’t know about that. Yes, it’s not a very pressing feature, given how unique it is. But it would really make those stat bars explode!

Wow thanks. I can finally scientifically prove what my gut has been telling me all along. My Maenead class frigate with Fulgent Engine, Mile-breaker, We are Clay and Tireless Mechanic is truly the most effective combo for speed/range in the whole game. Sure Lampad Cutter can be a tiiiiiny bit faster but it has half the range and less than half cargo (And less guns) Finally I know for a fact that my dear Harrington(Maenead class frigate) is the best ship to sail the Unterzee. Three cheers for effective builds! And another three cheers for amcnicoll for creating this wonderful tool!