Ship Modding Questions

Hey. I noticed this game finally has a passable modding interface, so I decided to poke around a bit to see what’s doable. There seem to be some decent possibilities, but I hit some trouble experimenting with modding in ships. So here’s some questions maybe some of you might know:

1. What player ship models are possible? I can make a custom ship with any of the models already used by a player boat, but I could not manage to get npc boat models to work. Is this hard coded?

2. Where do you modify ship equipment slots? They don’t seem to be defined in qualities.json with the other ship attributes, and don’t seem to be attached to the ship’s model.

3. Is it possible to mod in a new enemy ship type that uses the model of an enemy already in the game? I could not find where enemy models are defined, but honestly I didn’t look as hard as for player ships.
    edited by Pavlov on 8/18/2015

[quote=Pavlov]2. Where do you modify ship equipment slots? They don’t seem to be defined in qualities.json with the other ship attributes, and don’t seem to be attached to the ship’s model.[/quote] Apologies for linking to a different forum - I, too, looked through several files before this post pointed out that you can edit your current ship’s slots via your savefile. I guess the loadouts of the Tramp-Steamer, Corvette, etc. are hard-coded somewhere inaccessible.

Well that’s unfortunate. I did some further fiddling, and I did manage to get a custom ship to give an Aft slot, but it’s very buggy when switching ships, which makes it unsuitable for a real mod.