Sharing Recipes Based on Fallen London (and SS)

Delicious friends,
Many of you enjoy cooking, baking, brewing, and fermenting foods, and Fallen London and Sunless Sea are just full of fantastical and delicious dishes. Have you ever tried making any of them in real life? There are two threads on mushroom wine (older and newer), and recently I came across the recipe for the bergamot-pomegranate curd you can try on Nuncio.

You can find it here; just scroll down a bit! It’s from Eli Brown’s cookbook-slash-work-of-fictional-anthropology The Feasts of Tre-Mang.

Have you made any Neathy foods? Tried writing up a version of zzoup that doesn’t require hanged men’s tears? I’d love to see any recipes or photos!

I’ve thought about a jello Mt. Nomad - imagine scooping out its indigo innards as it wobbles down your plate to menace your spoon, peligin (or purple food coloring) staining your fingers…until finally, you reach its heart: a small chocolate easter egg, covered in gold foil.[li]

That’s clever! I love the little golden heart. Sounds like a perfect dessert for the end of a FL-themed party!

I admit, I’m necrobumping, but I recently had a similar idea. I hear fairy ring mushrooms taste sweet; maybe those could be part of a Surface version of spore-toffee?
And what about Rubbery Lumps? Could one make those from calamari?

[quote=KestrelGirl]I admit, I’m necrobumping, but I recently had a similar idea. I hear fairy ring mushrooms taste sweet; maybe those could be part of a Surface version of spore-toffee?
And what about Rubbery Lumps? Could one make those from calamari?[/quote]
Never tried fairy ring mushrooms, though a sweet or floral-tasting mushroom might make a great spore toffee. Alternatively, maybe something puffy, like a puffball, would be good for texture?

Rubbery lumps: yes, calamari (of the most esoteric sort) sounds about right! Given how… unusual… the candidates for rubbery lumps are, maybe a mix of various seafoods (calamari, tempura shrimp, battered octopus, fried seacucumber?) could represent the ‘monstrous’ nature of the Unterzee’s creatures?

I recently discovered that mushroom ‘tea,’ made from chaga, is a real thing: Inonotus obliquus - Wikipedia

Slightly more palatable and common in Asia is the mushroom tea made from Shiitake mushrooms.

As a matter of fact, I can buy a can of powder at a nearby supermarket, but it is really, really bad for you in the mundane high sodium way. No exotic poisoning.