SEPTEMBER'S EXCEPTIONAL STORY: Cut with Moonlight

[color=#ff9900]This. Hardly anyone had a Mirrorcatch Box, and most (maybe all?) of the characters who did were isolated alts. In the meantime, the boxes have developed into a significant and fun part of Neathy lore. They deserved some spotlight. [/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]Plus the new implementation opens some cool possibilities should the mood take us in the future[/color].

Is there any way to protect a box other than putting it on an alt and exiling them from London? There doesn’t seem to be any other way to hold onto one (except secrecy, of course. But security through obscurity is no security at all.)

I’m looking forward to getting one, but I don’t use alts, and I’d hate to have to spend the rest of the game on a boat…

Anyone who wants one can now get one for the next month at the low cost of one action. (The two options that don’t give a box involve the Constables, or tossing stuff into the river.) Anyone who really wants to hold onto a box they’ve gotten this month could stash them on an alt and deep-six the alt. And any Exceptional Friend can buy as many Mirrorcatch Boxes as they want this month, for 1 Echo apiece. Combined with the fact that stealing a box costs a Favour in High Places, I think it’ll be a little while before Mirrorcatch Boxes are rare enough to worry about them being stolen.

Plus, limited time only: if you don’t have an alt, I’ll offer you Mirrorcatch Insurance at the low cost 1 “Gift of the Unexpected” surprise package. At some point in the future, if your box gets stolen, I’ll tell you (one time only) the name of an alt that you can steal a Mirrorcatch Box from.

Boxes are a lot safer than they used to be anyway, since they can only be stolen from someone with a knife and candle form.

metasynthie, I like the way you think.

Not true, unless that is a recent change.

Personally I’m delighted there are way more Mirrorcatch boxes in circulation now; I had like four Mirrorsnatch attempts on me in a row very recently, and you’d think whoever set them on my trail initially would’ve let them know it was no use.

(Now I have two, but really, just play the one-action free storylet and don’t get yourself blacklisted by me!)

As for mirrorcatch box insurance for exceptional friends, I’m hoping that the mirrorsnatch attack will not target a sun-stamped mirrorcatch box. Buy a few boxes and keep the sunlight in them. It only takes one action to turn them into normal boxes, should someone want to capture snakes or sunlight.

Btw, shouldn’t the first Exceptional story now be available for Fate?

by the way, if anyone has echoed

blackmailing the Blind Bruiser at the end of the story, please link it. I’d really like to know what he’s been doing while “moonlighting”

Got to admit, at the point I’m at in the plot I don’t have any interesting narrative mystery pulling me forward and I’m feeling kind of like keeping the option to buy boxes full of terrible terrible sunlight open might be worth more than whatever I happen to find at the end (since it sounds like that option goes away). Anyone else tempted to just stop part way through?
edited by An Individual on 8/27/2015

[quote=An Individual]Got to admit, at the point I’m at in the plot I don’t have any interesting narrative mystery pulling me forward and I’m feeling kind of like keeping the option to buy boxes full of terrible terrible sunlight open might be worth more than whatever I happen to find at the end (since it sounds like that option goes away). Anyone else tempted to just stop part way through?
edited by An Individual on 8/27/2015[/quote]

I wish I had. I can’t believe that I got locked out of the option to buy boxes! There was NO indication that would happen.
edited by Dom_Delouise on 8/27/2015

What I would like to see is the option to buy them re-opened, for those that made certain choices. From the ending I got, it seemed like I would be able to, and that’s really the only reason I ended the story. And it’s not like there aren’t other fatelocked storylets that have lasting content after the fact…

Not true, unless that is a recent change.[/quote]
Wait how can they be stolen if you don’t have a form? I thought you couldn’t get attacked if you didn’t have one.

Loving the story so far. Just so’s I knows - I take it that if I want to see as much box-content as possible, I should delve into it before a certain point in the main story? Can anyone hint at what point that is, and whether there’s any downside to getting heavily boxed aside from CPs of menace?
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 8/27/2015

I’ve the Upstairs success for A Moonlit Market: Head towards the gunshots: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/The~Dark~Gentleman?fromEchoId=6455079

Not true, unless that is a recent change.[/quote]
Wait how can they be stolen if you don’t have a form? I thought you couldn’t get attacked if you didn’t have one.[/quote]
Mirrorsnatch is an exception.

[quote=IHNIWTR]by the way, if anyone has echoed

blackmailing the Blind Bruiser at the end of the story, please link it. I’d really like to know what he’s been doing while &quotmoonlighting&quot

A wee bit of blackmail for you:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sharru?fromEchoId=6455204

A Moonlit Market: Take Cover http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kaigen?fromEchoId=6455318

A Moonlit Arch: Join the Crowd http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kaigen?fromEchoId=6455337

I think the introduction storylet that everyone got a chance to play would be fine.