Selling your... *spoilers* Also, First City Coins

Soul.
If I’ve already thrown that poor spider lady under the bus in favor of the Provost (I’m a bad man, I know, but even if I go straight to hell for that, its not like I’ll be moving very far). Is there anything that I’ll miss if I sell my soul?

From what I have read, it is possible to get my soul back through an arduous journey initiated by the expenditure of some Fate, but what really bothers me is the above issue (possibly being shut out of some quest lines) and the price.

The amount of material reward you get for selling your immortal soul keeps making me think of this old canard:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/what_kind_of_woman_do_you_take_me_for_madam_weve_already_established_that_c/

As far as first city coins are concerned, am I ever going to need any more coins than… I don’t even remember what the minimum was… ? Because there was at least one event that I got AFTER having reached the minimum that gave me a coin…

Frankly, money is getting tight as I struggle to become a person of some importance, and, well…

… Oh, what I meant was, I was thinking of giving away some coins out of the kindness of my heart. Really. Thats what I had in mind <_<.
edited by Ch Ko on 3/6/2012

77 coins is all you’ll need I believe.

Hmm, so I’ll never ever have any use for any more coins? Theres nothing I can use them for?

Well, the Ambition isn’t finished yet, so it’s impossible to say. So far there’s no other use, and no other use has been hinted at.

Technically you could always sell them to the Bazaar for 0.25 echoes each, but given their rarity I wouldn’t consider it a sensible tactic ^^

Anyway, the Ambition actually totals at leat 78 of them - the ones needed to proceed, and the single one given by the Manager as a gift. Of course I don’t know, but I suspect that single spare coin could get some relevance in the future (you know, something like paying a boatman in ancient Greece fashion, or the like).
edited by streetfelineblue on 3/6/2012
edited by streetfelineblue on 3/6/2012

Just have somebody trade you them. Getting back your soul cost fate and is a real pain in the ass.

What other benefit can I get from them? I would gladly spread the love but on the other hand I am in a bit of a money crunch at the moment…

[quote]Anyway, the Ambition actually totals at leat 78 of them - the ones needed to proceed, and the single one given by the Manager as a gift. Of course I don’t know, but I suspect that single spare coin could get some relevance in the future (you know, something like paying a boatman in ancient Greece fashion, or the like).
[/quote]

That reminds me, to get that … uhh I forgot what it was called, exactly… the “boatman’s opponent” moniker, do I have to die repeatedly and beat him at least once each time, or what?

I… assume you misread my post and thought I was asking for coins… thanks for the info on the soul selling thing though.

The Boatman’s Opponent quality comes from beating him at chess (or possibly dice) when you’re on the Slow Boat. Each victory reduces your Wounds a little, each loss raises them a little. So you can rack it up easily in one or two deaths.

What other benefit can I get from them? I would gladly spread the love but on the other hand I am in a bit of a money crunch at the moment…[/quote]

Currently I don’t know of any uses other than unlocking steps of Heart’s Desire and being sold to the Bazaar. But giving them to other players for free could earn you a reliable friend, that means possible future help - be it in grinding Second Chances or receiving Gifts at Christmas and the like. Maybe it’s the best policy after all ^^

If you are pursuing Heart’s Desire and ever have less than 77 coins, the storylet to get more opens up again. This is a good way to “cash in” Connected: the Masters if you [color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]n[/color]eed t[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]o[/color] get [color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]r[/color]id of i[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]t[/color] in a [color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]h[/color]urry.
edited by Patrick Reding on 3/8/2012

[quote=Patrick Reding]If you are pursuing Heart’s Desire and ever have less than 77 coins, the storylet to get more opens up again. This is a good way to “cash in” Connected: the Masters if you [color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]n[/color]eed t[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]o[/color] get [color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]r[/color]id of i[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]t[/color] in a [color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]h[/color]urry.
edited by Patrick Reding on 3/8/2012[/quote]

Practically the Neath equivalent of mentioning the Game (By the way - we’ve all lost XD)

^… what?

Also @ Patrick: Why would I want to LOWER my “connected with the masters” stat? I figured that since those points are hard to come by, there must be something super awesome waiting for me if I get the stat up high.

I’d like to think that there was something super awesome for having a high Masters connection. Mine’s at 8.
There’s nothing special so far. Still, I have a Fist of the Bazaar tag, which hints that it may be an endgame option, so there’s a good chance that you’d need a high connection to be able to take that route. It’s going to be a while before that’s relevant, of course.

8?! But…how? Is there a repeatable storylet that I’ve totally missed? Did you buy Mr Pages the contents of half the bookstores in London? Does getting Fist of the Bazaar from Diocesan Intrigue grant a massive boost to it?

[quote=Ch Ko]^… what?

Also @ Patrick: Why would I want to LOWER my “connected with the masters” stat? I figured that since those points are hard to come by, there must be something super awesome waiting for me if I get the stat up high.[/quote]
As I was hinting, pursuing Mr. Eaten’s Name will cost you all of your connections with the Masters. In that case, it would be better to get some value out of the connections before you lose them.

I’ve sided with the Masters at every obvious opportunity (I did miss a couple due to not expecting that they’d give me a boost), and I have also given Mr. Pages thousands of Echoes worth of books. He seems rather fond of them. Fist of the Bazaar did actually come with a touch of favour too, but really, it’s Mr. Pages who I have to thank for my status.
As for Mr. Eaten - as it stands, there’s no reason to lose your Masters connection in pursuit of him yet. There’s an option to do so, certainly, but as there are alternatives, I simply chose those. If there’s a genuine, forced choice to make, I’m not sure which way I’d go. Quite possibly, I’d support the Masters over Mr. Eaten.
Truth be told, my primary reason for getting as high as 8 is that each rank of Connection has a title. I am driven to know things and thus I wanted to know what these were and just how close I could get to the Masters. In my case, I understand that “There May be Indiscretions”, which is a step up from 7’s “Jokes are Cautiously Shared”. Of course, it would be nice if having a high level of favour opened doors.
I do wonder just how high anyone has taken this Connection. I can’t be the only person who has reached 8, can I? Naturally, I intend to push higher.

I just found it depressing that my immortal soul goes for so little on the open market. Sure, its not the best of souls, but its not that bad… its like a dented can- the contents are still good. Mostly.

I just found out that sending someone first city coins also raised your “Falling Cities” score quite a bit.