Selling the location...

Hi,

I just have a quick question. Selling the location of the Cave - does that prevent you going there again? I’m quite willing to take any other consequences, it’s just that I’m not finished with it yet![li]

Thanks.

Nope! You can still visit the Cave after selling the location.

Great, thanks :)

Does selling the location to specific factions require “Closest to” with said faction?

Im asking because the Wiki puts the sell option under the “Closest To” category, yet the option itself doesn’t say it would need it, so Im unsure what page to trust.
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Aligned_with_a_Faction:_The_Great_Game

No, it sets closest to to the relevant faction (which it says on the storylets too)

Honestly, all this makes me wonder why so many people seem to be talking about NOT selling it… I mean, it’s a hefty payday, no matter who you sell it to, and a free ‘Closest to’ switch if you want it. Why NOT sell it, really?

Short answer - Because Failbetter’s entire storytelling strategy has made any player of any age over a year or two completely paranoid about doing or saying anything that might change something permanent on the risk that sometime years down the line, there will be something even better that they now cannot access.

See: Getting evicted from court, The Velocipede Squad, Secrets Framed In Gold, Etc.

Additionally, it’s pretty trivial to grind 100 Echoes per day and still do whatever opportunity cards you like. So for the highest-value payout, you’re getting, essentially, 15 days worth of cash and that’s only if you sell to Revolutionaries or the Great Game. MUCH less for the other options.

The only use of those high-value items other than sale is bragging rights/access to five-card lodgings which are basically cosmetic rewards right now and more easily acquired at Sacksmas.

Add to that the fact that many of us have no desire to assist the Revolutionaries or Hell whatsoever.

In short, little reward for a choice that could be very bad down the line.

I’ve been keeping the location a secret basically just for story reasons. I don’t feel any particular affinity for any of the factions I could sell it to and I like the idea of having my own secret cave full of forgetfulness. I recently got my Ubergoat and I’ll admit there were points of weakness during that grind where I nearly caved but in the end I remained strong and kept it to myself.

[quote=Mr. James Rayner]Short answer - Because Failbetter’s entire storytelling strategy has made any player of any age over a year or two completely paranoid about doing or saying anything that might change something permanent on the risk that sometime years down the line, there will be something even better that they now cannot access.

See: Getting evicted from court, The Velocipede Squad, Secrets Framed In Gold, Etc.[/quote]

Passion is probably the ur-example.

Probably wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t implemented a few years late, even though I am not really the sort to go for that one myself.

^ and roleplaying. some player don’t care much for the reward and would rather stay in character. i sold it to get closest to the great game for free… and a very rare item which may or may not be more useful later on.

Also the Reported Location of a One Time Prince of Hell and the Masters Blood are both a lot harder to get than just their echo value. So even if you do sell the location, turning it into cash seems lke it’s possibly not the best plan. And if you don’t sell it, you can possibly acquire whichever you need on short notice. (And there’s been at least one time limited opportunity to get a rare item for one of them.)

Speaking as one who sold the Reported Location himself, I don’t regret it. I will admit that it is an immensely hard to obtain item otherwise, more so than Master’s Blood, but also that it serves one pretty far-along purpose. The equipment I managed to get in exchange for that load of cash basically upgraded my character to max boosts, or close enough, anyways. Not saying that you SHOULD sell it, but there are definite pros to selling it if you’re not a sentimental person and don’t care for getting the Brass Embassy five-card lodging any time soon.

Urchins here. Already closest to them before I sold it, not gonna change side either.

As some people have said, some won’t sell it due to roleplaying purposes. I won’t sell mine because I don’t trust any of the factions. Sure that Master’s Blood looks enticing, but I’m sticking to my morals.