Selling my Soul - is it painful?

The Devil has finally popped the question: Should I say Yes or shall I avoid or reject the proposal? From reading the stories it seems the people who became souless, they lose all motivaton. What will happen to the player character? Is the outcome reversible if I do not like it?

It will close off a few opportunities, most notably Seeking the Name, but there’s no massive repercussions.
You can get it back, but the easiest method requires Nex; there’s one or two ways to get it back wwithout Nex, but they’re much more obscure.

What I miss the most is the devils courting me and giving me things, and feeding my inner Hedonist which gave myself gifts, as ‘I myself am my only true friend!’ Once they had my soul, I never heard from them again. They just dropped me like the piece of soulless meat I had become. (Not surprising at all, but I had to see, didn’t I?) I even had trouble getting the regular “Burning Shadows: the Devils of London” faction card for a while. But that was probably just bad luck.

I also made the mistake of choosing “Closest to: Hell” when that option came up. Bad idea. Should have chosen a faction that has a card without a cheap/free ‘party’ option to increase ‘Connected: Faction’, like The Great Game or Criminals. Because now I have to choose between “Attend a lecture at the Brass Embassy” or talking to the Infernal Sommelier to advance that Counting the Days thing. So I always choose the latter, and have thus effectively closed off the former. Too bad. I shouldn’t have put those eggs in the same basket, because I only get to pick one egg every time a basket comes around.

I wonder if the devils will come and court me again if I ever manage to regain my soul? :)

[quote=Gillsing]What I miss the most is the devils courting me and giving me things, and feeding my inner Hedonist which gave myself gifts, as ‘I myself am my only true friend!’ Once they had my soul, I never heard from them again. They just dropped me like the piece of soulless meat I had become. (Not surprising at all, but I had to see, didn’t I?) I even had trouble getting the regular &quotBurning Shadows: the Devils of London&quot faction card for a while. But that was probably just bad luck.

I also made the mistake of choosing &quotClosest to: Hell&quot when that option came up. Bad idea. Should have chosen a faction that has a card without a cheap/free ‘party’ option to increase ‘Connected: Faction’, like The Great Game or Criminals. Because now I have to choose between &quotAttend a lecture at the Brass Embassy&quot or talking to the Infernal Sommelier to advance that Counting the Days thing. So I always choose the latter, and have thus effectively closed off the former. Too bad. I shouldn’t have put those eggs in the same basket, because I only get to pick one egg every time a basket comes around.

I wonder if the devils will come and court me again if I ever manage to regain my soul? :)[/quote]

Well, currently there is an option to sell the location of the Cave of Nadir that can make you Closest to Great Game (Or Revolutionaries or Urchins… Hell too, but you already have that ^^), together with a very valuable reward. But I would not worry too much - once you got all of your goods (Consonant Violin and whatever) you can happily neglect Counting the days and go back to your Brass Embassy lectures ^^

[quote=Spacemarine9]there’s one or two ways to get it back wwithout Nex, but they’re much more obscure.[/quote]This is possible?
[li]

Also, being soulless opens up an opportunity card that is the most reliable Nightmare-reducer card I’ve seen and carries no penalties.

[quote=OPG][quote=Spacemarine9]there’s one or two ways to get it back without Nex, but they’re much more obscure.[/quote]This is possible?
[li]

Also, being soulless opens up an opportunity card that is the most reliable Nightmare-reducer card I’ve seen and carries no penalties.[/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]I know of one way to get your soul back without Nex - apparently there is a rare result on Opening a Bundle of Oddities. Checking the wiki there are two cards that give it (so far). I would be interested to know which card reduces Nightmares. [/li][li]

It should be an option on Where’s my soul?, possibly the &quotNo, you’re quite content, thanks&quot one.

Oh - I didn’t lose my soul to the devils, so have never seen that card. Maybe I should get it back, again, and do the Intimate of Devils story.

I always discard that card, because -1 CP Nightmares at the cost of an Action doesn’t seem to be a very good deal to me. I’d rather wait for the Urchins/Orient card, and I’m also at the 45 - 75 level where I can take advantage of the “Time for a little relaxation” card. -3 CP Wounds and -5 CP Nightmares at the cost of 1.00 Echo, +1 CP Scandal, and one Action is a great deal, especially when I have a cat in a box just waiting for an elaborate strategy. ;)

Okay, having sold my soul many times, and always gaining it back, there is an opportunity card that ONLY shows if you have the item “your very own infernal contract”. The card itself takes you through three options to get your soul back, one each for the ways you lost it. (that is if you don’t just chose the “no thanks, I’m content” option). Selecting Where is my soul in there starts a storylet in which you can chase your soul down through confronting the door to door devil, the quiet deviless or the courting devil (ie whomever you sold your soul to in the first place). From there you chase it all over London and wind up at the Carnival. You can find your soul through patience, science or fate.

In any case you get your soul back and you lose the contract. All options that you would normally get if you didn’t have a soul (like one of the cards from the rag and bone men who has gifts for you) and any stories that require you to have no soul are locked then and vanish.

On the plus side, the card to sell your soul again comes up some more in your deck.

Though some souls can’t be souled (sorry, can’t resist). Mine makes devils recoil in horror. This pleases me immensely.

I guess I’ve missed the opportunity to sell my soul then. Mine’s fully stained. I just won’t play the last step of regaining it unless something comes along that needs a soul. I quite like getting souls and contracts from that relicker.

The Devils have frequently asked for my character’s soul, and it seems the cards like increased Hell Connected do not appear any more. Is there anything new or fun to do having build up Hell Connected and yet still have a soul? If I have Closest To Hell, does it mean my Connected Hell quality is 20+?

The Fate Locked Soul trade is the best way to increase connected Hell.

Also, the option “Attend a lecture at the Brass Embassy” on the Burning Shadows card still applies; and you get some Connected: Hell from converting in bulk Souls to Amanita Sherry, so yo ucould just grind Souls, convert them, then sell the result (or convert it again in higher items or just leave it there on your mantelpiece XD)

But if you are grinding echoes, doing it through the soul trade is the most lucrative option I’ve seen. You get 1.43 echoes per action.

Snip (Edited to eliminate possible fate-locked content)

My question is, does selling my soul as a PoSI make it harder to retrieve? I last sold and retrieved it before the opportunity to become a PoSI had come to me.
edited by MartzelDePamplona on 1/6/2015

I don’t believe that POSI makes a difference, since the best way to get it back without next is just a normal action in Flit (Fun with the Fisher-Kings)

Excellent. That lines up perfectly with my new endgame goal.

[quote=MartzelDePamplona]Having become a PoSI, I noticed on the &quotCity Vices: What Profit?&quot card that there is an option to sell my soul for a 312 echo diamond.[/quote]Wow. That looks like fate-locked information, because I’ve never seen that card. It also looks like selling your soul for 312.50 Echoes and then trying to get it back through Fun with the Fisherkings would be a 312.50 x 0.70 / (1 + 130) = 1.67 Echoes/Action grind, which I consider quite respectable, given that the loot from all the bundles that don’t contain your soul should cover for all the Nikolas & Sons Instant Ablution Absolution you’d need for the 30% unlucky results, plus a couple of chats with the Knotted Sock to cover for the 70% fortunate results, and still leave some stuff over. The leftovers would increase the Echos/Action, possibly to around 2 Echoes/Action, depending on the average value for the Bundles of Oddities in the 1-130 range.

Only real drawback is that no stats are gained, which would mean that weekly irrigo 11 trips to the Cave of the Nadir wouldn’t be as sustainable as they are with skill challenge grinds. And it wouldn’t be a very good way to advance for someone who isn’t already statcapped.