Seeking Everyone Else's Name

I’d like to raise a somewhat pointless, trivial, and obvious question as is my lot in life…

Just how much of London does actually have a proper name? For every Chuffy McAvoy-Dauntless there’s quite a few Stuttering Fences, Submerged Rectors and Implacable Detectives with no proper name other than their title.

So far I know of:
The Clathermont family
Feducci (if that is his name…)
Chuffy McAvoy-Dauntless (any relation to the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner?)
Lucy, Cynthia, and Phoebe (of Hunter’s Keep)
Lettice and Grace (the Mercies)

I’m certain there’s others, as well. Who can you think of that has a name?
edited by ReusedNPC on 8/28/2017

Her grandson. We also meet… let me think… Jervaise, Miriam Plenty, Mr Inch, Gideon Orthos, M. Pleat, Jenny, John Huffam, Reginald, Dr Schlomo, Silas, Tristram and Cora Bagley, Alice, Catherine, Jasper, Frank, Lyme, Virginia, Colonel Molly, Benjamin Villein, and, of course, dear Jeremy. Among many others I’ve missed, I’m sure!

Also Jenny, of course.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22805-names-and-epithets.aspx

Yep, that topic seems useful. Par for the course, really.

F.F. Gebrandt
Hephaesta
Alexandria
Esmeralda
Rose
Jonesion
Peppercorn

Can’t forget about about ‘Winkles’ Cheesewright-Cheesewright.

Madame Shoshana
Mr. Murgatroyd?

I also suspect that some names on the list are actually stage names or other types of affectation.

Spoilers for Fate-locked content:

From The Gift, we also technically know the names of the Traitor Empress’ issue (except the Captivating Princess). Some of these names were actually used in the game text–the Brooding Captain signed a letter with his real initials, and I think someone referred to Beatrice by name.

Mr. Adoniform is the male anatomy &quotexhibit&quot at Mrs. Plenty’s carnival, the counterpart to the flexible Miss Forward. And Madame la Fonteyne, who I’m assuming is based on/inspired by Margot Fonteyn? (Wrong time period, but she IS a dancer.) Her name is mentioned when you send your henchman off for dancing lessons.
edited by Lamia Lawless on 10/15/2017

Adoniform and Forward are stage names and not the characters’ actual names, I think.

Along with Jasper, Frank, and Lyme, there is also Soap. His main appearance is in the Fallen London comic “A Pinch of Snuff”, but he also shows up in a 5-fate action in the Clay Quarters. I like how Jasper, Soap, and Lyme all have somewhat geological names, and then there’s Frank. Did he not get the memo? They were supposed to stick to a theme!

Baseborn, Fowlingpiece, Leadbeater, Stainrod, Coterell, and Hathersage are all probably the names of real people. The names of the Bazaar’s shops imply the existence of Carrow, Maywell, Dark, Savage, Gottery, Nassos (maybe plural), Nikolas, Merrigans (maybe plural), Dauncey, Fadgett, Crawcase, and Penstock. How many of them actually appear in-game?

Mr Leadbeater makes a brief, unconscious appearance in the Cubit Square heist.

An Amelia Hathersage shows up in one of the ambitions, although she is publically presumed dead.

Mr Crawcase appears in person to receive something if you sell it to the Bazaar. I don’t recall which particular item, though. Intriguer’s compendium, possibly?

Penstock appears in Sunless Sea, and certain holiday events in Fallen London.

Somehow, I kinda doubt that Dark & Savage are the names of characters. Unless someone really didn’t like their children. Or perhaps were stuck with the surname. Perhaps Dark might be a name, but Savage seems more likely to be referring to the… lively nature of Neathy handware.

I refuse to believe this. :P Clearly Adoniform is the family name, passed down through many generations of chiseled, flexing men.

At any rate, it’s a step above a Mr. ______ , or being called The Anatomy Exhibit.

I refuse to believe this. :P Clearly Adoniform is the family name, passed down through many generations of chiseled, flexing men.

At any rate, it’s a step above a Mr. ______ , or being called The Anatomy Exhibit.[/quote]
Introducing our new performer, Mr. The Anatomy Exhibit!

[quote=Optimatum]
Introducing our new performer, Mr. The Anatomy Exhibit![/quote]

&quotIt’s Mr. The for short.&quot

[quote=Lamia Lawless][quote=Optimatum]
Introducing our new performer, Mr. The Anatomy Exhibit![/quote]

&quotIt’s Mr. The for short.&quot[/quote]
From what I’ve seen, the term ‘short’ has no place in any discussion of the gentleman in question.

[quote=Passionario]
From what I’ve seen, the term ‘short’ has no place in any discussion of the gentleman in question.[/quote]

Goodness.
My mistake. It’s Mr. The for long, and Mr. The Anatomy Exhibit for longer, according to your preference.

In honor of the Last Constable and Cheeryman’s recent story, I am submitting &quotAgatha&quot to the list of names. The Cheeryman’s wife.

There’s a Monster-Hunter called Meg somewhere in London, according to the Assured Filmmaker’s Hallowmass confession. I don’t think she’s been mentioned before.

The sinking Synod has a clayman named Norbert. He’s pretty great.

Her grandson. [/quote]

I’m not sure he was until I brought it up on the forum, a developer responded, and then suddenly he was. That’s the impression I got from their post. If indeed it was my idea then I take some pleasure that I have contributed the littlest mere jot to the lore of Fallen London. Makes me happy out of all proportion to its importance. It’s probably worth a smile, I think, but I value it much more than that.