Scions and Legacies

So, I retired my first character last night, and it didn’t go quite as I expected. I had a Scion (which is why I chose to retire) so I was able to pick two legacies. My first character was ex-military, meaning that he started with 50 iron, plus I’d added a few points from secrets along the way as well. I jumped at the chance to pass both my nice deck gun as well as half of my iron rating to my child. I expected to have 52 iron to start out with (the 25 the poet has by default, plus half of my old characters rating) but somehow ended up with 36. I’m not exactly sure where that number came from, so I was wondering if I misunderstood something, or if it’s just poorly explained or wrong on the Legacy screen.

My second legacy was to pass on 50% of my hearts, but I ended up with just a tiny bonus of a point or two, despite also putting a bunch of secrets into that stat as well.

When you pass on a stat, the value isn’t added to 25 for the next captain. Rather, 50% of the previous captain’s stat becomes the new captain’s starting value for that stat. Dying with 50 Hearts, for instance, wouldn’t effect any change in the next captain’s Hearts. This is presumably to prevent easily transferring stats by selecting a background for the +25 bonus and directly passing it on.
edited by Fretling on 2/10/2015

I see. I did the math and that didn’t seem to line up with my old character’s stats, but maybe I misremembered something. I should have taken a screen shot of my old captain before I retired. :)

Does that mean that I could conceivably end up with less than 25 in a stat if I really wanted to pass down my gun but had a low Iron stat, or is it always a minimum of 25?

It’s always a minimum of 25.

It’s possible you were remembering your [stat] value with bonuses added – bonuses from items and Officers don’t count.

Oh. That’s kind of disappointing. The only remotely impressive stat I had was 65 hearts. So, er, that’ll be 32 inherited. Hmm. Everything else was <40.

[quote=Fretling]When you pass on a stat, the value isn’t added to 25 for the next captain. Rather, 50% of the previous captain’s stat becomes the new captain’s starting value for that stat. Dying with 50 Hearts, for instance, wouldn’t effect any change in the next captain’s Hearts. This is presumably to prevent easily transferring stats by selecting a background for the +25 bonus and directly passing it on.
edited by Fretling on 2/10/2015[/quote]

Considering that’s what you did before they updated legacies, I would assume so :P

Well that and you could say, start by passing on your pages value, then raise it with easy events and pass it on repeatedly to max it easily.

I have a couple more questions to avoid screwing things up with my next retirement. The Scion trait says that it persists between captains unless something causes it to end. Does that mean that I automatically have Scion with my next captain no matter what, or do I have to still at least have a child, and then they’re automatically a Scion instead of having to feed them Zea Stories?

Also, is there any way to pass on your ship to your next captain?

There is currently no way to pass on your ship. Your next captain does not need to have a child again, AFAIK; presumably the dynasty has other branches of the family to draw on.

Yeah, the persistence of Scions is apparently because first getting it creates a DYNASTY of zee-captains :) and the ones following that first scion aren’t necessarily their kids, for that matter - eg nieces or something.
Unless you do something that jeapordizes that entire dynasty, heh.

[quote=Fretling]When you pass on a stat, the value isn’t added to 25 for the next captain. Rather, 50% of the previous captain’s stat becomes the new captain’s starting value for that stat. Dying with 50 Hearts, for instance, wouldn’t effect any change in the next captain’s Hearts. This is presumably to prevent easily transferring stats by selecting a background for the +25 bonus and directly passing it on.

Hrm. Does this mean you can bump up your stats through death if you use the Legacy items?

Example: base 25 Pages, +25 Poet origin, +25 Codex == 75 pages. 1/2 75 +50 = 87.5. Repeat, 93.75. Repeat, 96.875. Repeat, 99. I think that’s about where it tops out.

[quote=Dr. Hieronymous Alloy][quote=Fretling]When you pass on a stat, the value isn’t added to 25 for the next captain. Rather, 50% of the previous captain’s stat becomes the new captain’s starting value for that stat. Dying with 50 Hearts, for instance, wouldn’t effect any change in the next captain’s Hearts. This is presumably to prevent easily transferring stats by selecting a background for the +25 bonus and directly passing it on.

Hrm. Does this mean you can bump up your stats through death if you use the Legacy items?

Example: base 25 Pages, +25 Poet origin, +25 Codex == 75 pages. 1/2 75 +50 = 87.5. Repeat, 93.75. Repeat, 96.875. Repeat, 99. I think that’s about where it tops out.[/quote]

I haven’t checked yet either, but I’d think the legacy items just increase the minimum from 25 to 50 (before the origin bonus). So it’d be 25 base +25 codex + 25 poet = 75 pages, immediately die. 75/2 = 37.5 < 50, so the 50% pages legacy does nothing and the new captain stays with 50 + 25 poet = 75.
edited by Impish Axile on 2/10/2015
edited by Impish Axile on 2/10/2015

Legacy items are added on top of your inherited stat:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/522752020673158817/BD9DE6FE333B2249E784E0C0A115E5CB0EC2A05E/

(I only had ~148 Veils on the previous character. Could easily have acquired 200+ Veils due to his lack of background, but I got lazy.)
edited by Olorin on 2/11/2015