Scientific Expedition

I am baffled as to how to go on one. I’ve been on all the Zee voyages, completed Jack of Smiles, and still get lures from his Amused Lordship about backing me for the Expedition. I’m in the Dilmun Club, and now, following my Light Fingers Ambition, I cannot progress farther until I go on a Scientific Expedition. What am I missing?

I may be joining the Going Senile Club soon :confused:

Check your “Tea with the Loquacious Vicar” storylet in Your Lodgings. You should have a “Set out on a Scientific Expedition” option there, to start that storyline.

The most significant requirement for the Scientific Expedition is to complete the University storyline ([color=#ffffff]one way or another[/color]). You also need some Associating With Radical Academics and Cultivating an Acquaintance with His Amused Lordship, but I believe those are also prerequisites for the Dilmun Club stuff.

Thanks for the responses.

My University storyline is at 30 - I’m still kicked out. I did grind 20 Collated Research for the University to find Dr Vaughan, but that didn’t give me new access there. My acquaintance with His Amused Lordship is at 3, Radical Academics / Dilmun Club is 7. I’m at Zee right now, but the Loquacious Vicar doesn’t have the expedition as a suggestion now, if I remember.

My Embarking on a Voyage of Scientific Discovery is at 4, but nothing has opened.

[quote=AnnMCN]Thanks for the responses.

My University storyline is at 30 - I’m still kicked out. I did grind 20 Collated Research for the University to find Dr Vaughan, but that didn’t give me new access there. My acquaintance with His Amused Lordship is at 3, Radical Academics / Dilmun Club is 7. I’m at Zee right now, but the Loquacious Vicar doesn’t have the expedition as a suggestion now, if I remember.

My Embarking on a Voyage of Scientific Discovery is at 4, but nothing has opened.[/quote]

But… I don’t think you really need anything more than going on the islands for the actual research. Have you already been on Bullbone, Corpsecage, and the Grunting Fen?

[quote=AnnMCN]Thanks for the responses.

My Embarking on a Voyage of Scientific Discovery is at 4, but nothing has opened.[/quote]

Four is as high as it goes! After that, you collect your various types of notes, and use them in your lodgings.

Streetfelineblue, yes, I’ve visited all a while ago, and am back on Copsecage now. And, TheDaveEBZ – Notes? Is there a particular number I need to have? That might be where I’ve gone astray.

There are three types of notes, gathered from various small islands and occasional run-ins with Orthos’s crews. Cryptopaleontological notes, Theosophistical notes, and Prelapsarian Archaeological notes. How many you need depends on what you want to do. You’ll need a minimum of 100 pages of one type to cash them in for Collated Research, and around 500 pages of each to be reinstated with the University (for all the good that does at present.) You should be finding them on Corpsecage and the other islands - usually one option gives you more traditional loot, the other gives you mostly research notes.

[quote=Dave ]
There are three types of notes, gathered from various small islands and occasional run-ins with Orthos’s crews. Cryptopaleontological notes, Theosophistical notes, and Prelapsarian Archaeological notes. How many you need depends on what you want to do. You’ll need a minimum of 100 pages of one type to cash them in for Collated Research, and around 500 pages of each to be reinstated with the University (for all the good that does at present.) You should be finding them on Corpsecage and the other islands - usually one option gives you more traditional loot, the other gives you mostly research notes.[/quote]

Huh. I think I’d cashed some in for Collated Research, way back, and my totals aren’t up at 500 yet. Guess I’ll splash around the islands and accumulate what knowledge I can. That seems to be all that’s left, besides waiting!

I can do this while I wait for Mr Pages to show up (have had 10,000 Proscribed Materials for several days, and not a peep from him).

Ok, specifically the things you can use them for are as follows:

50 of each: go back to prep stage, letting you use items and connections for research
250 of each: Obtain a voluminous library if you don’t have one (Slightly cheaper: 750 total research, instead of 75 echoes in legal documents and 4 echoes in cryptic secrets)
500 of each: Reinstate university access
120 of one: Obtain collated research and copy of your work (Comes out to 2 pence per page, not worth it unless you want to collect the souvenir copies)
500 of one: Obtain 50 echoes in goods (in Storm Threnodies for Cryptopaleontological, Uncanny incunabla for Prelapsarian, and in extraordinary implications, incendiary gossip, and broken giant wine (Plus a second chance) for theosophistical)
500 Cryptopaleontological + all fate locked beasts and a hound of heaven: Bifurcated Owl.

Now, as you can see, 500 research gets you 5 echoes in goods. Also, 750 research gets you something where the biggest cost otherwise is 75 echoes in legal documents. I had some other evidence for my point but I can’t put my finger on it, basically it comes down to each research being worth 10 pence. Theosophistical research is technically slightly more valuable, as it is more difficult to obtain (Its major island, the grunting fens, requires TWO trips to reach).

By the way, this means the Ministry of Truth card on the seas is quite valuable, coming in at 1.5 echoes worth of goods (Comparable to a variety of PoSI cards).

Also, on paper using bats to deliver research isn’t worth it: You only get 4.5 echoes of research, for spending 4 echoes in bats. However, keep in mind your partner receives 15 of each research too, netting them 4.5 echoes of goods for only a single action. If you both share with each other, we take the profit from both to get 5 echoes, divide by the two action total, and wind up with a 2.50 echo per action net profit, making it VERY valuable indeed! This is even more valuable if you can get your bats through storylets, so their “cost” is based on their sell price, not their buy price (Making it two echoes in bats, 3.5 echo net profit). Though, the only decent way to do this is through the “temptations of power” option that grants salacious copy, as it’s a bonus 2 bats on top of your 12 copy. Not worth doing simply to get bats, but if you’re running the newspaper anyway it’s something to consider.

Remember kids, stay in school. Math is fucking magical.

[quote=Urthdigger]Ok, specifically the things you can use them for are as follows:

50 of each: go back to prep stage, letting you use items and connections for research
250 of each: Obtain a voluminous library if you don’t have one (Slightly cheaper: 750 total research, instead of 75 echoes in legal documents and 4 echoes in cryptic secrets)
500 of each: Reinstate university access
120 of one: Obtain collated research and copy of your work (Comes out to 2 pence per page, not worth it unless you want to collect the souvenir copies)
500 of one: Obtain 50 echoes in goods (in Storm Threnodies for Cryptopaleontological, Uncanny incunabla for Prelapsarian, and in extraordinary implications, incendiary gossip, and broken giant wine (Plus a second chance) for theosophistical)
500 Cryptopaleontological + all fate locked beasts and a hound of heaven: Bifurcated Owl.

snip

Remember kids, stay in school. Math is fucking magical.[/quote]

I’ve accumulated a lot here and there when I’m interested in the item or the story. Not after wealth, but to satisfy my curiosity. I’ve got the Library (take naps and research there), 38 bottles of Broken Giant, and somehow have 3 volumes of Cryptopaleontological Work, 1 of Prelapsarian, and 2 Theosophistical. I have a hound of heaven, and multitude of beasts including a bat with attitude, but not a bifurcated owl yet. Is there a list anywhere of the various beasts?

Anyway, I’ll zail around the zeas gathering research. I really do need to consult with Dr Vaughan, but she wants me to be in good standing and/or have done a scientific expedition.

I do like this!

You need to be doing the fate-locked portion of Theological husbandry, which gives a new option for each of the four normal beasts. Do note this means you also need access to flute street.

i went to Flute Street when it first opened, have bred all the beasts, and 2 hounds of heaven. I’ve been playing for nearly 2 years, and took a break when I was maxed out at 100, and now I’m back and almost maxxed again. Did it all before this forum was available. Found the wiki when I was very advanced, but it was helpful for seeing things I’d missed, but now I’m past what it has available. I’m enjoying the journey around this fallen world, and like to see it all.

Math is Friendship.

Math is Friendship.[/quote]

Despite having two small girls, that took me a moment to place. I blame the cold medicine.

Is there a cheaper way to get Legal Documents than Wilmot’s End or the Sidestreets? (Both ~30 echoes/actions) If not, it’s a substantial discount.

i went to Flute Street when it first opened, have bred all the beasts, and 2 hounds of heaven. I’ve been playing for nearly 2 years, and took a break when I was maxed out at 100, and now I’m back and almost maxxed again. Did it all before this forum was available. Found the wiki when I was very advanced, but it was helpful for seeing things I’d missed, but now I’m past what it has available. I’m enjoying the journey around this fallen world, and like to see it all.[/quote]

That should be all you need; check the prerequisites for the option at your Lodgings to see if you’re missing something. One non-obvious thing is that [color=#ffffff]you can breed the Plated Seal with and without Redolence, and using the Redolence gives you a new pet[/color][color=#000000].[/color]
edited by Aspeon on 6/15/2012
edited by Aspeon on 6/15/2012

No, there are not cheaper methods. It is indeed a substantial discount :)

Ooh, now that is something I didn’t know! Thanks! And, of course, since Murphy is dealing my Opportunity cards, I complete my sea voyages before Troubled Waters gets high enough, even choosing the riskiest choices.

I’m not particularly worried about the thriftiest method of obtaining things – my worry is plowing through so quickly that I run out of content.