Rookery passwords and connected: Urchins

I purchased a rookery password from the bazaar. I have connected: urchins 2. When I try to use it, the only option I see is the fate-locked one. I was under the impression that the connections-raising items were free to use until you hit 20, and THEN cost fate - did I misunderstand?

Alternatively - how the heck can I raise that connection the old-fashioned way? All my stats are at 129-130.

I always assumed they just meant a 20+ increase, never tried them myself though.

Could get docks/urchins or orient/urchins up to 10 via the carnival then use the conflict cards.

I’m not seeing much else for anyone at higher levels.

kind of an oddball one to be going after.
edited by Endy on 1/30/2012

Follow, you’re right - they are free to use until your Connected hits 20. There might be a minimum requirement to use the free option - have you tried the carnival sideshows for an Urchins boost?

One of the storylets in War of Assassins is a Connected: Urchins check that gives +5 change points on a failure.

[quote=followmyvoice]I purchased a rookery password from the bazaar. I have connected: urchins 2. When I try to use it, the only option I see is the fate-locked one. I was under the impression that the connections-raising items were free to use until you hit 20, and THEN cost fate - did I misunderstand?

Alternatively - how the heck can I raise that connection the old-fashioned way? All my stats are at 129-130.[/quote]
Your item only works with non-Fate option if your level is above 10(which it should say if you mouse over to the the greyed out icon.) To get your level to ten either use the War of Assassins option in the Flit or, if you’re not there yet, raise it at the Carnival. The Carnival no longer requires a Connected: Level 3 to work.

[color=0000CC]Followmyvoice: the advice above is all excellent. However, could you email your first post to ebbugs@failbettergames.com - it sounds like an option on the rookery password isn’t showing up for you. Until your Connected: Urchins is at 10 you can’t use the branch, but you should be able to see it, I think.[/color]
edited by Chris Gardiner on 1/30/2012

I don’t know HOW I forgot about the carnival, given I used it to raise my connected: criminals for those #@$% first city coins wayyyy back when… thanks for the advice everyone! And I will email the bugs address because I definitely am puzzled to not even SEE a non-fate option on the item.

Interestingly… from what I’ve noticed, it seems like options that are locked by having a certain quality/item rather than un-locked by such are usually invisible when unavailable. I’m not sure why, though. And since this particular option should be a normal unlock, I can’t imagine why it’s not showing up.

[color=#009900]For students of the abstruse: it used to be that if you failed a Max requirement on a branch, i.e. your quality was too high, the branch would be invisible. If you failed a Min requirement, i.e. your quality was too low, it would be visible. (Knowing this may make sense of some odd behaviour you saw in the past.)[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]We recently tweaked the engine to make this behaviour more granular so that we can specify when requirements make branches visible / invisible, and there were some odd effects while things settled down. The Connected: increase branches on items disappearing if you didn’t qualify was one of these odd effects. In any case, all should now be well.[/color]