Riddle of Stones bug and/or Exploit.

I just discovered That if you visit Irem without having been to the Salt Lions, or, I think, The Isle of Cats (You must have 0 of Roots Run Deep) There’s an option for Riddle of Stones which I believe is supposed to give you 1 pages and 1 mirrors for one secret. However it doesn’t use up a secret, so you can just keep doing it over and over.

I don’t think there’s any danger of informing the community of this as it’s a single-player game who’s save files can be edited by a literate chimpanzee. ;)

On that note I’m curious if there are plans to link it more thoroughly to Fallen London at some point? Wouldn’t be hard to keep the saves online.
edited by Rilauven on 12/31/2014

That’s a great spot, many thanks for flagging it up - I’ve just increased my mirrors and pages by 70-ish each!

Rilauven, they’ve discussed linking Sunless Sea to Fallen London in the past, but they don’t seem to enjoy the idea of giving serious benefits as a result of that link.

I just accidentally ran in to this now. Of course, I had to “test” out the bug and “make sure” it allowed me to go all the way to 110.

Then I was delighted to see that the citadel requires mirrors, mostly. Unfortunately midway through it also requires Veils. I ran out of candles and left with 100 terror.

So I want to report another bug.

100 terror doesn’t seem to result in a mutiny, at least not if you have 2 crew as well. I made it all the way back to London at 100 terror with my lights off and going slow as a 2 man crew demands.

Interesting, you mention the Citadel, were you at Godfall or is there something at Irem that I haven’t seen yet?

I suspect the trigger problem is that you have to be at sea for the terror 100 effect to work, and then if you go back out on the water with 100, the trigger has already passed, so you’re suddenly immune to all terror problems (just be sure never to lose terror or it’ll come back in), but certainly something interesting, have you passed it on to the team as well as mentioning here?

It has been like this all along from the very first days, so I’m not too sure it’s not intended behaviour. Especially since one of these two crew members is you… how is a mutiny going to take place then? That other guy would simply stab you in your sleep me thinks. :)

Edit: (just read the above post afterwards, argh) I remember this effect also from zailing around with three or four crew total, with Terror reaching 100 while at zea. I always thought there’s just a minimum threshold of disgruntled zailors required for a proper mutiny.
edited by Reshemin on 1/4/2015

[quote=Reshemin]at zea. I always thought there’s just a minimum threshold of disgruntled zailors required for a proper mutiny.
edited by Reshemin on 1/4/2015[/quote]

And the minute it becomes Zunless Zea, I’ll start calling it the Zea :)

As for minimum amount of crew required for a proper mutiny, anything above one, as you say, they just stab you in the dark…

That said, if you’re down to one crew member, there should be something for the point at which you go completely bats*** crazy, perhaps all the controls go random till you crash into something and the remains of your ship are left for the next captain to encounter, still with the nutbar ex-captain at the controls speaking gibberish (The Fringe world dialect, not random words), in the manner of the captain of the nativity…

[quote=Rocket Heeled Jack]
Interesting, you mention the Citadel, were you at Godfall or is there something at Irem that I haven’t seen yet?

I suspect the trigger problem is that you have to be at sea for the terror 100 effect to work, and then if you go back out on the water with 100, the trigger has already passed, so you’re suddenly immune to all terror problems (just be sure never to lose terror or it’ll come back in), but certainly something interesting, have you passed it on to the team as well as mentioning here?[/quote]

[li]
I sailed to Godfall.

I can confirm that that isn’t it, or at least not solely it. I stopped at a couple of ports and reduced my terror, and then passed 100 on the sea again. Nothing.

It could be that I had 2 crew.

I also found out that you can no longer put engines to full power and expect to go any faster if you have <50% crew.

Full power works no matter what engine level you’re at, it just does double the speed you were doing and ups the fuel drain to maximum, so when you go to full power and you only have speed one, you end up doing the equivalent of speed two but for more fuel cost.

Mutinies don’t occur unless you have 4 or more crew, pretty sure that’s not a bug.

Exactly what is Roots Run Deep, anyway?

How to get it:

When you get to the Isle of cats, you have an interaction that requires Roots Run Deep at 0, and will put it to 1.

Oh, dang, I should have been paying more attention. I just found it in my journal one day and had no idea how I’d gotten it, haha.