Returning player - what is there to do?

The Android app drew me back into Fallen London after over three years away. After dusting off everything I’ve realised that I have no idea where to find new storylines. I’ve tried most locations in London and at Zee, but I keep finding storylines that I recall from 2013 and earlier - back then I played through almost everything that was available at my level at the time. All new content I’ve managed thus far was an Ambassadorial posting that ended in disgrace - I’m currently working on getting back there.

My Ambition is still on hold (Light Fingers). My qualities are 140~ except Persuasive (133), easily raised with equiptment to 160~. Due to the absence I don’t have any of the new qualities like Notability, and during the catch-up sequence I made my alignment choices somewhat at random - I’ve ended up Closest to: The Docks and haven’t yet drawn a card that would allow me to break it. I’m not interested in Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name.

Where do I find new free storylines for my level? I fully intend to become an Exceptional Friend again, but I’d like to catch up with free content first.

Oh bub, do I have news for you!
Actually, no, I don’t, since there has been very little new, free content. Well, that is aside the recent and now over for this year “Choose London’s New Mayor Contest” and the tweaks and changes to other yearly events (as well to the general character progression system)- bu-ut, that’s all.

Now of course, if you aren’t financially crippled as me, there are plenty of new Fate stories for you to drop your bucks on and enjoy. A lot of them whom are de facto pretty worth it, judging by the feedback from buyers.
edited by Sir Goomy on 10/5/2016

If you want to end your Closest: Docks, look to the Docks Opportunity card. It should include a storylet that lets you &quotviolate the sailors’ most sacred superstition&quot, which will end your &quotClosest to&quot status. It will also remove all your Connected: Docks, but you can rebuild that later.

There is also a section at your Lodgings called &quotFIND NEW STORIES&quot that lets you know about at least some storylets.

And if you are already a Person of Some Importance and have a ship, you should now be able to go to Apis Meet and Port Carnelian; I don’t think those locations were open back in 2013.

EDIT: Cthonius makes good points. I was not clear myself as to whether Apis Meet is open to those who have not done the Fate-Locked Flint story., though I think that story is worth doing.
edited by cathyr19355 on 10/5/2016

[quote=Catherine Raymond]If you want to end your Closest: Docks, look to the Docks Opportunity card. It should include a storylet that lets you &quotviolate the sailors’ most sacred superstition&quot, which will end your &quotClosest to&quot status. It will also remove all your Connected: Docks, but you can rebuild that later.

There is also a section at your Lodgings called &quotFIND NEW STORIES&quot that lets you know about at least some storylets.

And if you are already a Person of Some Importance and have a ship, you should now be able to go to Apis Meet and Port Carnelian; I don’t think those locations were open back in 2013.[/quote]

Apis Meet is only if you’ve done the exceptional story Flint iirc, and Port Carnelian it seems op has just done and is looking to redo (there’s an option in the Foreign Office carasoul to refill the quality needed…Imperial Legitimacy or some such).

To expand further on Catherine’s points, if you’ve done the Cave of the Nadir and haven’t sold the location yet, selling the location sets your Closest To immediately to the buyer, with no consequences regarding your former closest to (for example, you keep your Docks favors/renown).

Well, there is Seeking Mr Eaten’s name. That returned earlier this year but if you finish it you won’t be doing much else.

True, but bwinter already said that he has no interest in Seeking.

True, but bwinter already said that he has no interest in Seeking.[/quote]

Er… right. Reading is hard. The only other thing that comes to mind is there was an extra step added in the Mr. Pages Reliable story where he sends you to retrieve a book that should turn up in the Opportunity deck eventually if you’ve done the earlier steps. But that’s purely an opportunity deck thing so you can’t exactly go out and do it specifically.

Unfortunately for you, Light Fingers is the only Ambition to still not have received any updates. The other three have received one each, with one to go.

Have you done the Wars of Illusion story? It used to be pretty hard to find, though that’s changed now due to trackers (see below). There’s also the Mind of a Long-Dead God, accessible from London with Stormy-Eyed 19. The only way to get that quality so high is by spending a while on Mutton Island, Bidding the Wind Speak when Time Passing in the Southern Archipelago is under 7.

About a year ago, quality trackers were introduced to streamline and better organize major stories for the four main stats. At the time, all existing users were thrown into MUST storylets (the ones you can’t back out of) allowing them to keep their progress or reset some of the stories* to replay the content. I don’t know if this event is still around, but if you haven’t gotten it and would like to see the changes you could contact Failbetter at support@failbettergames.com for assistance. The four tracking qualities are A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets for Watchful, A Name Whispered in Darkness for Shadowy, A Name Scrawled in Blood for Dangerous, and A Name Signed with a Flourish for Persuasive.

*The exceptions being players who completed the University storyline could not reset any of the Watchful content, and players exiled from Court could not reset any Persuasive content. Rare items were provided as compensation.

You also mentioned you’d like to become an Exceptional Friend again, for which things have changed slightly. In addition to House of Chimes access and the action/card perks, Exceptional Friends now get a special story once a month. Specifically, Exceptional Friends can begin the current Exceptional Story at any point in the month, the story changing over on the last Thursday of the month*. (After doing the global intro storylet visible to everyone and the first event in the House of Chimes**, each story can be completed at leisure even if you end your Exceptional Friendship.) Exceptional Stories began in May 2015 for a total of 17 so far; past ESes can be purchased on the Fate page for a higher price, several months after they were available to EFs. A more recent addition is Exceptional Seasons, in which completing the three consecutive stories unlocks a small bonus story; so far the seasons have been Heart’s Blood, Family Ties, Revolution, and the in-progress Wrecks.

*As such, one month’s purchase of Exceptional Friendship will typically allow access to two of the monthly stories, and occasionally with precise timing gives three.

**The current season is structured a little differently, so the stories are unlocked through the globally-accessed Breakwater House location instead of the House of Chimes.