Requirements and Costs

Here is the feedback email for everyone who wants to hopefully get that information added back: feedback@failbettergames.com

Feedback sent, softened up with thanks and praise.
It sucks to only hear feedback on negative stuff!

[quote=NiteBrite]Change is best affected via bug report and feedback emails, to which FBG normally responds within a day or two.

It’s been over a week and there’s only been silence. I think we can assume at this point this change is probably intentional and that asking for it to change in a forums thread isn’t going to do any good if that’s the case.[/quote]
Well, not saying anything - neither here nor answering player’s emails - is pretty bad style!

Thanks Robin, that double-tap&hold is worth knowing. I hope it applies to many mobile devices. double-clicks & holds his mouse button out of pointless curiosity …thought not :P

[quote=Robin Mask]

I can’t speak for everyone and all devices, but I play on my 3DS a lot, and the old system still seems to be running there :) If you press twice quickly, holding the second press, it’ll tell you: this will cost x of x, and you have x of x. It saves you clicking over a lot, which - while admittedly inconvenient and annoying - doesn’t actually factor into a lot of storylines and shouldn’t hinder your enjoyment of the game itself . . . I’m currently doing the Jack storyline, for example, and I don’t think I’ve needed to know what items I’ve had at all so far :)[/quote]
Well, I might just start playing in my 3DS, that is, if that thing’s browser wasn’t so terrible (Convenient for game guides though, especially collectible-related quests)
edited by NotaWalrus on 11/26/2015

So, I’ve only discovered this two days ago and wanted to test it a bit instead of complaining right away… ;)

I have to say it’s a strange decision by the devs to remove those bits of information. While it is only mildly irritating during &quotnormal&quot play, the consequences for things like Expeditions are really very annoying. And since this change is planned to be implemented across London, &quotthings like…&quot would include Heists, Short Story Writing and probably a handful of others which I can’t think of now. I’m not sure whether this would also affect things like Fascinating…/Investigating… ?

So, we DEFINITELY need an exception for those stories where you have to keep track of a &quotspecial quality&quot (don’t know what else to call them, sorry) like Expedition Supplies, Potential, Escape Routes/Inside Information etc. Because playing these stories becomes totally frustrating when you can’t immediately see every change to those qualities.

If they implement that, the rest is probably something we’d get used to. Though I have to repeat, I don’t see WHY they would do this in the first place! [color=000000]Hannah’s original announcement in this thread was about &quotrolling out a change to make [color=000000]thi[color=000000]ngs[/color][/color] clearer&quot,[/color] instead they’ve made them more confusing. I’d rather have too much information about what I’m gaining/losing before/after playing an action than too little. And once this goes live across all areas they’re basically asking to be swamped by bug reports from confused players who don’t read the forum!

I might put this in an email too, but I’d wager the sheer number of complaints on this issue would have directed Failbetter’s attention to this thread by now… ;)
edited by Amélie Vaincœur on 11/26/2015

I would put forward that with over a million words of fiction, in so very many snippets, with so very many items both inside and outside the bazaar…
The flow charts must be hellacious to contemplate, nigh Sisyphean.
The unlock/costs is nice, I will say, but in some ways I ENJOYED the anxiety of not knowing what I would lose. But that is just me, one opinion, and not large enough nor problematic enough for either me or the developers to feel is urgent.

So best of luck and cheers to the wondrous L.Bs that make up the Failbetter team! Tinkering away like mad with the gears of hypertext and hidden escapements of cybertext. If you think we players make a fuss about this stuff, believe you me, they fret even more!
So I am patient, and the alteration tastes more cosmetic to me than essential. Because more often than not the 'Neath is mysterious and unpredictable. And I am just barely getting started.

[color=#0066ff]Thanks everyone for your discussion and feedback, and for sending tickets - you are excellent.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff] Unfortunately, this isn’t a straightforward change, and our developers are currently fully occupied with the Fallen London mobile port and Sunless Sea expansion.

As an interim measure, we’ve added an indication of how many Crates of Expedition Supplies the player has to the storylet text of archaeological expeditions, since this is the example that has been brought up most often; we’d welcome suggestions for other branches or storylets that would particularly benefit from this.[/color]

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]Thanks everyone for your discussion and feedback, and for sending tickets - you are excellent.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff] Unfortunately, this isn’t a straightforward change, and our developers are currently fully occupied with the Fallen London mobile port and Sunless Sea expansion.

As an interim measure, we’ve added an indication of how many Crates of Expedition Supplies the player has to the storylet text of archaeological expeditions, since this is the example that has been brought up most often; we’d welcome suggestions for other branches or storylets that would particularly benefit from this.[/color][/quote]

Thank you!

The big thing that comes to mind for me is purchasing Bazaar Side-Street items. Less vital than expeditions, but it’s been a major stumbling block.

Some of the results during Flint tell you what you’ve lost, and some of them don’t, which is unfortunate.

I’m usually a fan of Fallen London and how Failbetter Games operates, but I have only two words regarding the missing info from cost qualities and conclusions: unmitigated disaster.

Highlighting costs as opposed to requirements is an excellent idea.
Not telling how much of the item is available is bad. A trip to &quotMyself&quot tab is in order now every time something costs something?
Removing &quotnow have&quot conclusions is horrid - and unjustifiable.
edited by Alistair Cray on 12/2/2015

From what Hannah said above this appears to have been a mostly unintended consequence that has a technically difficult solution. So it’s unfortunate but I have every faith in FB to address this in due course. I think my main complaint is with how long it’s taken to acknowledge that it’s a serious issue. I think if it was flagged significantly earlier that it’s just a case of solving a difficult technical issue a lot of disappointment would have been saved and ill feeling avoided

I, too, have faith that this will eventually be resolved. Failbetter Games listens to feedback. It’s just very unfortunate timing - big change that’s (presumably) hard to reverse while the devs are tied elsewhere.

Thank you - that really helps a lot!

Totally agree. My more disgruntled posts a week ago would definitely not have happened if they’d reacted a bit sooner but…

To be fair, they are! :)

Does anyone know what’s with the new:

• You’ve gained 2 x Crate of Expedition Supplies (new total 72 - 72).

It seems an odd change to add another ‘how many CoES we have total’, when we already had that.

Ah well, the whole thing’s weird. Just glad they were able to make it usable at least!

Frankly I don’t feel too good about the “we are tied elsewhere but we’ll fix it later” response.

When the new feature breaks something in the game, you press the button and roll it back until you fix it and test it again, you don’t just put it on hold to maybe fix later while leaving it broken in the game.

Just my opinion, of course.

[quote=Danko]Frankly I don’t feel too good about the &quotwe are tied elsewhere but we’ll fix it later&quot response.

When the new feature breaks something in the game, you press the button and roll it back until you fix it and test it again, you don’t just put it on hold to maybe fix later while leaving it broken in the game.

Just my opinion, of course.[/quote]
Agreed.

Still displeased with this change. It makes it exceptionally hard to track your resources (how many times you can still take this option? does it eat too much into reserves?).

Playing the Flint was unpleasant as a result, and will by itself cost a mark off the final score of the EF story survey.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just came across this while reading up on some old exceptional stories and I didn’t see a final update on this and its current state leaves me confused.

When I first read this I thought I had somehow managed to find a feature I had completely missed until now, so I quickly went to check. To my disappointment I couldn’t find anything like what was described here. What happened to this?

Apparently there was an issue with not being able to see how many items you owned 3+ years ago. Was this feature rolled back because of that? Because all I can currently see in game on the vast majority of branches is &quotYou need X/You unlocked this with X&quot (no indication of cost anywhere).

But why then, after more than three years, there are still storylets like &quotStop in at the Horse-Steak Club&quot, &quotCall at the Offices of Baseborn & Fowlingpiece, Solicitors at Law&quot and such that use the half-finished system (Only show costs, not items owned), while the other half of the storylets in the same location use a different system (Show unlock requirements and items owned, but not costs)? And why do some branches still never indicate the items lost after playing them?

Is this just something that was planned and partially implemented 3 years ago and then mostly, but not fully rolled back, only to be abandoned? This seems like such a useful feature to have if only the upsides of both systems were combined into one tooltip.
edited by Monara on 12/11/2018