Refuse the Gift, Wounds, Death

Speaking about http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Refuse_the_gift_(Urchins)

Will I leave The Mind if I reach Wounds 8, or I actually can not be teleported to the boat out of Mind?

You will not get kicked out of the Mind no matter how high you’re Wounds get. But when you do leave, you’ll need to deal with all those Wounds (i.e if you don’t have Cider or lots of Horsehead amulets, be prepared for an extended stay on the boat).

It’s not a big money-maker unless you have a cider. It’ll take a lot of actions to heal those wounds, be it alive or dead.

When I do it I’ll probably get a little ways into 7 wounds and finish it up. Not worth losing a horsehead amulet over.

If you already have the cider, you probably have lost interest in making any more money - unless you are crazy enough to go for the baby goat.

That said, if you have crap-loads of Horsehead Amulets, usually from the Thieves’ Cache expeditions, I suggest just burning all of them except one.

Incidentally, I have written a guide for this under the Faction items wiki page some time ago.
edited by Rostygold on 4/14/2017
edited by Rostygold on 4/14/2017

Do you even need a Horsehead Amulet at all? The storylet that sends you to the boat trip is autofire, but it’s not one of the autoaccept red-bordered card types, like the one sending you into exile for example. Couldn’t you just use a bunch of Tinctures of Vigour or accept a bunch of Wounds cure social actions, then enter an item’s storylet from your inventory to escape the autofire event?

The Horsehead Amulets may not use actions for their autofire Wounds reduction, but those are hard to get and worth two echoes each, so I’d think Tinctures or social actions are preferable.
edited by Optimatum on 4/14/2017

[quote=Optimatum]Do you even need a Horsehead Amulet at all? The storylet that sends you to the boat trip is autofire, but it’s not one of the autoaccept red-bordered card types, like the one sending you into exile for example. Couldn’t you just use a bunch of Tinctures of Vigour or accept a bunch of Wounds cure social actions, then enter an item’s storylet from your inventory to escape the autofire event?

The Horsehead Amulets may not use actions for their autofire Wounds reduction, but those are hard to get and worth two echoes each, so I’d think Tinctures or social actions are preferable.
edited by Optimatum on 4/14/2017[/quote]

Exactly and I think there’s another way to do so.

With social actions to remove all your wounds it’ll get you ~2.04 EPA. Considering the large opportunity cost (that’s a lot of out-of-london actions!) and low profit margin, I’m still not convinced it’s worth it. Maybe for someone who uses Affair of the Box and doesn’t have a very optimized deck.
edited by Kaijyuu on 4/14/2017

Yeah, it’s pretty sh**ty if the wounds have to be removed with social actions.

However, if the player happens to have dozens of Amulets… (The Amulets can be used consecutively, by the way, and they have zero Action cost.)

If the player happens to have enough dozens of Amulets to get them back below Wounds 8, sure, they could use a bunch. If they spent all 19 levels minus 1 CP of Stormy-Eyed on this action, that would be 2.55 EPA over 189 actions by my math.

Of course, they could also just sell those amulets and use social actions for 2.29 EPA over 224 actions by my math. Seems pretty good too.

Yeah, it’s pretty sh**ty if the wounds have to be removed with social actions.

However, if the player happens to have dozens of Amulets… (The Amulets can be used consecutively, by the way, and they have zero Action cost.)[/quote]

But why would one use up &quotdozens&quot of Amulets that way, just to avoid a chat with the Boatman? They used to be sold at the Bazaar, but so far as i know they have not been sold for years now, and I know of no other source for them so I’m keeping mine as a souvenir.

You get them from expeditions if you’re unlucky (they’re the worst possible outcome). Also the once-dashing smuggler storyline can net you quite a few.

As far as I know, if you have an amulet and you’re on your way to the boat you must use it, until your Wounds are below 8 or you’re out of amulets.

The game doesn’t give you a choice. At least, that’s what I remember happening to me, and with the Cider I really had no interest of using the amulet.

The only way to visit the boat and avoid using an amulet is finding some way that sends you directly there, such as losing to Feducci.

That actually has a different result if you have an amulet. Or, technically, there are two branches on that storylet, of which only one is visible at a time. One if for when you don’t have an amulet (and sends you to the boat), the other uses up an amulet and only gives you some wounds.

To rephrase my post:

The only way to visit the boat and avoid using an amulet is finding some way that sends you directly there, as losing to Feducci does, although that particular option won’t actually let you bypass using the Amulet.

And be subjected to RNGeezus’s fickle beneficence regarding the wide variance in the Wound CPs reduced? Oh, no, I don’t think that this is a good alternative.

Come on now. Not everyone has the Cider yet like you do. ;)
edited by Rostygold on 4/16/2017

Of course. I only meant that even in such a case, the game forces you to first use the amulets.

As far as I know, if you have an amulet and you’re on your way to the boat you must use it, until your Wounds are below 8 or you’re out of amulets.

The game doesn’t give you a choice. At least, that’s what I remember happening to me, and with the Cider I really had no interest of using the amulet.[/quote]

But I still have my two Horsehead Amulets from back when they could be bought, and I know I’ve died since I got them! Why didn’t they auto-trigger, as you report (and I think you’re correct that that’s usually how they work since I had one trigger that way during an early death).

Of course, the last 3 or 4 times I died it was in the course of trying to make an Impossible Theorem, and I went from either no Wounds or not much in the way of Wounds straight to 11 Wounds. Maybe the Amulet triggers only if you go up to 8, and not if you go straight to a number of Wounds greater than 8?

[quote=Catherine Raymond]But I still have my two Horsehead Amulets from back when they could be bought, and I know I’ve died since I got them! Why didn’t they auto-trigger, as you report (and I think you’re correct that that’s usually how they work since I had one trigger that way during an early death).

Of course, the last 3 or 4 times I died it was in the course of trying to make an Impossible Theorem, and I went from either no Wounds or not much in the way of Wounds straight to 11 Wounds. Maybe the Amulet triggers only if you go up to 8, and not if you go straight to a number of Wounds greater than 8?[/quote]
Yes, the Impossible Theorem might be a special case that send you to the boat without triggering the use of a Horsehead Amulet, as it seems to be when Wounds naturally raise to at least 8.
edited by dov on 4/16/2017