Recommendations for Grinding Hard-Earned Lessons

I am sure I am VERY late to the party but I just recently learned of the repeatable ways to gain three of the second chances: Sudden Insights via the porters while investigating in the university, hastily scrawled warning notes via the loitering social interaction, and confident smiles via the social interaction of coffee at Caligula’s. All three of these are infinitely repeatable and I have been grinding all three to gain the second chances to then use these second chances (5 at a time) to obtain a big boost in one of my main stats. I have not raised all of my unmodified main stats to above 100 except for dangerous which lags way behind at 86.

Can anyone recommend a repeatable way to obtain hard-earned lessons so that I can grind them to raise my dangerous stat? Tending to wounds does not help since wounds have to be ≥3 for this to work. I am NOT a POSI. I would prefer storylets not cards since the card approach would rely on the random appearance of the necessary card(s). Thanks for any help you can offer.

G’day,

Vinish

Nope.
Find PP patron to train you. And partner to exchange letters. This should give you ~10 levels (680 cp) of Dangerous each week. You will be at 200 before new year, easy. Spend favours and optimize for 90% success chance on checks if you want to level a bit faster.
edited by Waterpls on 10/2/2021

Please pardon my ignorance but what is a “PP patron”? I have a patron but am not sure if she is “PP”. Also what does “exchange letters” mean and how does this increase my dangerous? Thanks.

PP = Paramount Presence. They could train two stats at once, without cap.
Your Social Engagements -> Epistolary Matters you could send and receive special letters, which train your stats and/or provide material rewards. This is social activity, so you need to find somebody to cooperate. It’s limited on per week basis, each letter after 4th is less effective.

Thank you very much for the info.

I am not a PP & can only train watchful. I sent you a letter last week - check the [color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] Epistolary Matters[/color] incoming mail option.

I picked the Bowler Hat (Shadowy) and I always receive Hastily Scrawled Notes from the ‘Someone is coming’ carousel… in fact, I have 40 Notes now. More than the 21 limit, and more than what I know what to do with them.

I do remember using up quite a number of Hard Earned Lessons while writing a novel, eventually they were replenished and I now have 21 of them.

I think you can gain Hard earned lessons from being exiled in the Tomb Colonies. So do something scandalous and have a vacation there.

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/A_tiny_square_of_paper

Keep in mind that, upon exiting the Tomb Colonies, you will have to sacrifice a bit of your Austere and/or Hedonist quirk, which is a price you may not want to pay if you have already pumped them up to a high level. Hedonist can be purely raised up to 15 at the University.

[quote=fishandchips]<snip> Hedonist can be purely raised up to 15 at the University.[/quote]Can you tell me where/how this is done? I am just beginning my investigation of the murder at the University and am a scholar of the correspondence of only 3. My &quotfeatured in the tales of the university&quot is level 9. I have been repeating the &quotspeak to Porters&quot for hundreds of times to raise one of my main stats. Thanks.
edited by Vinish on 10/7/2021

The Feast of the World will do it. Early stages can get you up to 5, mid-stages to 10, the finale caps at 15. According to The World, devoured - Fallen London Wiki that requires “Takes at the University” exactly 5, though.

Ahh, that was in the first term at university. I passed that and am at tales of the university = 9 so that is no longer available to me. Thanks anyway.

[quote=Vinish][quote=fishandchips]<snip> Hedonist can be purely raised up to 15 at the University.[/quote]Can you tell me where/how this is done? I am just beginning my investigation of the murder at the University and am a scholar of the correspondence of only 3. My &quotfeatured in the tales of the university&quot is level 9. I have been repeating the &quotspeak to Porters&quot for hundreds of times to raise one of my main stats. Thanks.
edited by Vinish on 10/7/2021[/quote]

Do random stuff until Term Passing reaches 12, then select ‘The Provost? The Provost…’ in the options available to you. Watch your Scandal, make sure it does not increase too much.