Reaching perilous states

So how have you almost died/gone insane/been exiled lately?

I was beaten with my own club by a patient of the Sanitorium across the zee. Merely approaching the Sanitorium was damaging enough and with no time to rest I was unprepared to deal with the more… volatile patients.

Indeed, while converting Tales of Terror I accumulated enough wounds to have an opportunity to play my favorite opponent in chess (Though I feel he is still holding back. I suppose I do not have a right to complain about that, as I am holding back as well, mostly because we both want the game to have an eventual winner.)

I just found myself in the Mirror-Marches after doing a couple of opportunity cards while taking a break from grinding for glim. I was quite happily surprised to end up there instead of the Royal Bethlehem, as I found that regaining my sanity neither lost dreams, nor lost a Honeyed Laudanum.

Usually I’m better about dealing with the nightmares, but I’ve been pretty closely focused on acquiring the map to Polythreme. Given that place’s reputation, I suppose it’s quite expected to end up a gibbering lunatic while struggling to find the way there. Still, it’s troublesome. You’d think a lady with my… qualifications… wouldn’t be so tightly-wound.

These days I find floating down the river to a game of chess quite relaxing and undeniably… efficient. Something nags in my head that the opponent is being a bit coy about the whole thing, but I’ve grown quite practiced at shoving whatever that is (reason?) back to into its dusty corner and just embraced it. In keeping with that I’ve found myself becoming somewhat deliberately reckless. Some days I find myself loitering around the carnival, silently hoping for a terrible accident so that I might rush in and save some hapless (not-quite-a-) person. Elsewise I’m deliberately provoking the wrath of devils or seeking out other quite foolish, yet profitable pursuits.

In the end, it’s all very much about the money (and after all, time is money); if I can while away my wounds on a pleasurable, but altogether brief cruise trip on the river Styx, accompanied by some intellectual engagement with an old friend, why should I attempt to deal with them any other way? Snake oils are overly expensive and I’ve never been one to layabout and simply wish problems away: my time is far too valuable for that!

Lately? I spent the last 3 months in the Flit, though I do remember getting exiled to the Tomb Colonies before that after another quick… jaunt on the Empress’s throne with a certain Wit and a certain Beauty.

Once I’m done with my current objectives, I’ll get down to challenging the Boatman to another round of chess.

I ran afoul of some devils. I had a perfectly good reason for being on the roof of the Brass Embassy, but would they listen? That’s devils for you. Still, a short spell in New Newgate does no harm, as long as you keep the mask on.

I recently gave in and allowed my Nightmares to rise ever higher, as I was curious to visit the Mirror-Marches after collecting some Memories of Light - but upon my return to the comparative sanity of my lodgings, I found that I had lost my Recurring dreams: Is someone there?, despite having stashed no less than two vials of Honeyed Laudanum… was this a glitch, or does even this most singular tonic have no power to prevent the loss of that particular dream quality?

You shouldn’t have lost all of them; you do lose ‘is someone there’ when leaving the Mirror-marches, but I thought it wsn’t very much. (5 CP? Maybe 10 cp at most?)

Was your ream level low in the first place, if you only had like 1-2 in that stat that could lead you to lose it all.

M_L_G wrote:

[quote=]You shouldn’t have lost all of them; you do lose ‘is someone there’ when leaving the Mirror-marches, but I thought it wsn’t very much. (5 CP? Maybe 10 cp at most?)
Was your ream level low in the first place, if you only had like 1-2 in that stat that could lead you to lose it all.[/quote]

Ah! That explains it; I don’t recall the exact number, but I had 3 at most. I shall be more wary in the future. Thanks for the info! :]

I just got a Weeping Scar, but to be honest; I don’t mind. I was at 6 wounds or so already; so a set wounds to 7 really just was a matter of change points… And it’ll allow me to finish my running battle.
Back to my second favourite chess opponent now (Beaten only by the Implacable Detective).