Railroads, steel, and recipes

(hoping this is the right way to post this question; if not please redirect me and I’ll gladly take this post down!)
I’ve reached a point where to proceed with the railroad story I apparently need railroad steel. And to get the steel, I need a recipe. But to get the recipe, I need steel to experiment on…?

I’ve been stuck at this for months, because while I’ve read guides and looked around as best as I personally can, I can’t figure out how to get steel without relying on some quality that requires me to have Railroad Steel in the first place. Can anyone give me a place to start? I’m not asking for a full railroad rundown, I just need to get my hands on some steel–or a way to make it without already having it!

Alternately, should I not even be pursuing this until I’ve finished my Ambition (Light Fingers)? Is there a Right Order to following Endgame Content?
All advice appreciated!

[quote=Thjazi](hoping this is the right way to post this question; if not please redirect me and I’ll gladly take this post down!)
I’ve reached a point where to proceed with the railroad story I apparently need railroad steel. And to get the steel, I need a recipe. But to get the recipe, I need steel to experiment on…?

I’ve been stuck at this for months, because while I’ve read guides and looked around as best as I personally can, I can’t figure out how to get steel without relying on some quality that requires me to have Railroad Steel in the first place. Can anyone give me a place to start? I’m not asking for a full railroad rundown, I just need to get my hands on some steel–or a way to make it without already having it!

Alternately, should I not even be pursuing this until I’ve finished my Ambition (Light Fingers)? Is there a Right Order to following Endgame Content?
All advice appreciated![/quote]To get your first steel, you’ll need 200 unmodified Watchful and 40 Lab Prestige. You’ll then be able to get it from a storylet in your lab (which will also begin the process of overcapping Watchful).

Thank you! that’s exactly the info I needed !

I’ve got tracks and I know how to get the Bessomer Steel Ingots. How do I start laying the tracks?

When you are a Tier 2 PoSI (Shattering Force, Legendary Charisma, …) or a Paramount Presence, you can draw the &quotAdvertisements of a New Venture&quot card anywhere in London, setting you on the path to build the Railway.

I believe you will also need 175 Persuasive, just in case you don’t have that already, to draw the card.