Question's About St Cerise's Candle [seeking]

Hello fellow Seekers,

I am making my way along the seeking road, and I have recently unlocked the option to sacrifice something precious to the well in order to gain St Cerise’s Candle. My question is: what should I sacrifice? When I started seeking, I had approximately 20,000 echos (in resources, I’m a hoarder), and I spent about 9000 of them on Appalling Secrets in order to raise my SMEN quality quickly. So now for St Cerise’s Candle, I have 2 options: I can spend most of my available resources, grind for a little money, and then buy on overgoat to sacrifice, or I can can wait a month (or 2 if I really want to be confident), and then (hopefully) write a classic short story that I can sacrifice. Please note: I do have Mr. Eaten’s calling card, so the searing enigmas/proscribed material that I would need for that aren’t a problem.

So what do you guys think I should do? How many resources will I need after I get St Cerise’s Candle? Looking on the wiki it doesn’t seem like I’ll need many, but I may be missing something.

Many Thanks,
Acharn

St Cerise is the last big payment, after that you’ll need a ship, Nadir access, Watchful 200, and that’s all; note Winking Isle with its narrow path.

And Notability 12 for St Destin’s candle. (unless you wait for the right time of year to grab the right Destiny).

So don’t sell any items that might help you gain and maintain Notability.

Typically people sacrifice a Classic Short Story but that requires preparation well (heh) in advance. (The more Fate-inclined sometimes sacrifice Daughters instead.) I’m assuming from your post that you plan on going NORTH all the way? If so, there’s not really a reason to hold on to your resources. Selling everything and grinding a little for a goat would get you the candle far faster than waiting around for a chance at a story. Plus you’ll need to get rid of everything anyways for Winking Isle.

Since you already have the calling card, after Cerise you’ll need Notability 12 for Destin and modified Watchful 200. You’ll also need nothing, plus an excess of foolishness.

Further questions would be best directed to the general SMEN thread.
edited by Optimatum on 6/4/2017

Thanks for the advice! I am currently grinding connected society/cards for the salon card, and when my scheme is high enough I will get to notability 12 (i’m at 11). I’ll probably go the overgoat path, unless I’m super unlucky and don’t get enough of the salon cards before I get my final trade secret.

And yes, I’m planning on going all the way and my unmodified watchful is 200.
edited by Acharn on 6/4/2017

Correct me if I’m wrong, but do you not also need an Uncanny Incunabulum for Gawain? It’s not all that much of a problem, but considering that you don’t need to sell it unless you’re pursuing Salt, it might be good to hang on to one.

Yes, you need 1 x Uncanny Incunabulum to open the path to St Gawain’s candle.

Is salt worth it? I read that it is kind meta-gamey, and I don’t really know what that means… I mean, it sounds intresting. but I don’t know…

Nothing in SMEN is worth it; the question is what you’re looking for. From what I’ve heard the Who is Salt? ending is more ambiguous, so potentially less satisfying, than the other endings. It also may require knowledge from Sunless Sea for the full experience.

Now you tell me. :: Too late. My alt has committed to it. She has acquired the relevant quality and is advancing her SMEN to obtain the last four candles. Next stop: St. Destins!
edited by cathyr19355 on 6/4/2017

Now you tell me. :: Too late. My alt has committed to it. She has acquired the relevant quality and is advancing her SMEN to obtain the last four candles. Next stop: St. Destins!
edited by cathyr19355 on 6/4/2017[/quote]
Its never too late ;-)

I had quite a bit of fun with my sacrifices…

… I pushed a copy of myself made of snow and blood into the well.

… and then made another for an even more personal betrayal.

edited by cathyr19355 on 6/4/2017[/quote]

Even if you have the quality, you still don’t have to commit. You can just pick something else.