Quality Requirement Rephrasing

I think the loss of the green challenge indicator is just a consequence of things being changed so much. I’m sure it’ll come back.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 7/1/2015

[quote=marcmagus]
It’s easy but very tedious to set up if you don’t try to be clever about it and just store both a singular and plural name for everything in your database.

It’s extremely difficult and error-prone if you try to be clever and do it in code instead.

I may or may not have learned this lesson the hard way.[/quote]

This rings strongly of truth. You change the code once to recognize plurality and ifexists use the pluralname, and then extend the table an extra column (which may be nontrivial) defaulting to null. You can then update values at your leisure. In reality, the value to effort of this feature is low because of the long tail of creative time required to backfill existant items.

Like:
-That you can now always see exact requirements (i.e &quotyou need 170-180&quot)
-Italic text for card requirements

Don’t like:
-Bold text everywhere
-Weird phrasing, as some others here suggested. &quotUnlocked with Connected: The Widow 5 - you have 25&quot is much better than &quotYou unlocked it with Connected: The Widow 25 (you needed 5)&quot. The first one clearly states how much connected I require and helpfully reminds me how much I currently have. The second one confuses me and takes some time to realise how much exactly I needed for the unlock, which is the information I’m most interested in.
-There appears to be an extra space line before the unlock text for storylets which annoys me a bit.

Not sure:
-For some reason the requirement text for cards is worded differently from the text for storylets, I think it was not updated.
-Was changing item names to longer names really necessary?
-Could we see the &quotlocked with&quot requirements?
-Colors are okay, I guess. Just maybe not red. Red is for bad things!

Other stuff I probably did not notice so far at all. Keep up the good work!

I’m not saying anything new here, but just in the interests of adding a +1:

• I don’t like the awkward unlocked with / required phrasing

• I don’t like long item descriptions and item title and stats all being in bold

• I don’t like the fact that 90%+ chance of success if the same colour as 100% chance

• I don’t like items being out of order in their categories

• I am ambivalent to the new descriptions of items (&quotnodule&quot etc.). Some of this works nicely, some doesn’t.

To be perfectly honest, this exercise feels to me like fixing a lot of things that were not broken in the first place. I don’t think that I and others that are not keen on the change are simply reacting to something familiar changing (nobody is being accused of this as far as I can see, just an observation) - it really does feel like it has made things more confusing and less visually attractive.

I strongly dislike the lengthening of item names (Shard of glim, instead of just glim? I don’t like how this works with the barter currencies… it’s like saying &quotpiece of Euro&quot instead of just Euro). It clutters the bazaar interface a bit.

I also find the italics for stat requirements hard to read, and I wish there was a toggle to disable italics.

I generally like these changes. I appreciate the move to a more consistent literary style, and the item name changes don’t get in my way at all. The green/white straightforward text issue does seem like a step backwards, and I’m still getting my head around the new unlock text, but generally I’m appreciating the changes.

It’s worth noting that the non-hundred percent green challenge indicator has been restored! I hadn’t appreciated how handy it was until it was gone - thanks for reintroducing it!

Item description texts and Card flavour texts are now also non-bolded, which is fab.