Quality Requirement Rephrasing

[color=#0066ff]From tomorrow, the way Quality Requirements are phrased will be different in Fallen London [edit: they’re now live!].[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Quality requirements are descriptions like these:[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]&quotYou need Fascinating… no more than 0 (you have 1)&quot[/color]
[color=#0066ff]&quotUnlocked with 30 x Whispered Secret - you have 190&quot[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]We have worked to put these into plain English, ultimately making them easier for new players to grasp. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Please let us know what you think! [/color]
edited by h4nchan on 6/30/2015

How will the new… er… phrasing looks like?

[color=#0066ff]I think it makes most sense to click around tomorrow when it’s live; there are so many different examples that it would take me quite a while to gather a representative sample to post here. :)[/color]

Ah. Noodle of Deep Amber.

Module, I mean. Er, no, Nodule of Deep Amber.

Seems like some goods have measure words now. Not sure what to think of it for the time being.

Here’s what I see, so far for inventory items (only changed items are listed):

Academic:
Flask of Abominable Salt

Cartography:
Shard of Glim

Contraband:
Coins of Surface Currency (don’t like this one too much, given that different currencies have different value, unless their value down here is like stamp collection?)

Influence:
Scrap of Intriguing Gossip

Luminosity:
Lump of Lamplighter Earwax

Rubbery:
Nodules of Deep / Trembling / Fecund Amber
(Pulsating Amber remains the same)

Rumour:
Scrap of Incendiary Gossip

Wine:
Bottle of Greyfields / Morelways / Absinthe / Broken Giant / Airag / Masters’ Blood
Vial of Tears of the Bazaar

Liking the measure word for Wines.

Shoes and Goggles:
Seems like most shoes and goggles have &quotpairs of&quot too.
Personally speaking, the icon is quite enough by itself to tell you it is a pair of shoes.
Not to mention most people assume you get pairs of shoes by default, so it seems kinda unneeded if you ask me.
Also, you missed &quotMirror-Polished Shoes&quot, although its icon shows a pair of shoes clearly instead of three shoes.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 6/29/2015

Set of Workman’s Clothes, Set of Ragged Clothing, Bundle of Fourth City Rags.

Gloves are also Pairs now.

Violet Amber is still sans nodule.

A Page of Collated Research.

Devilbone Die

Wines are now &quotBottle of …&quot
edited by Theus on 6/29/2015

Interestingly, they still don’t pluralize when you have more than one. I know plurals are annoying to implement, though.

I suppose they are in the process of rolling out the changes, so maybe that will change later?

I’m looking forward to seeing this implemented! Sometimes phrasing can be a little awkward. I remember one time echoing a quality long ago when I first started playing because I thought it was amusing: &quotA twist in my tale! I am now Inconvenienced by your Aunt.&quot

This sounds pretty interesting. I was looking at my inventory earlier, and noticed Nodule of Warm Amber - glad to see these changes are being applied to various items, and I’m interested to see how the requirements look. (Keep up the great work, FBG! :-D )

[i]

[/i]The item unlocks are quite confusing…

edited by Estelle Knoht on 6/30/2015

I dislike the pair

Scrap of Intriguing Gossip / Scrap of Incendiary Gossip

It was already poorly distinguished, now it’s even more similar. I think it would be great if quantity noun was different for those.

Maybe Whisper?
edited by Alistair Cray on 6/30/2015

Quality unlocks on cards are still a mess, as well.

Is it possible to make some comprehension changes to Airs requirements?

Currently it says: “Unlocked when you have The Airs of London”. But obviously you always “have” the Airs of London. It should either say what values of the Airs of London you need or (if you really want it to be mysterious or whatnot) something like “Unlocked when you have certain The Airs of London” or “Unlocked when The Airs of London are suitable” or something like that…

I dislike this new change! It’s even more confusing in my opinion. Especially when items are involved.

EDIT : Colours, italic and hints help a lot! I now think it’s great.
edited by Docteur on 6/30/2015

I appreciate the use of bold, italic, and coloured text in the descriptions. However, I am saddened that my Surprise Packages (previously A Surprise Package) are now lost in the sea of my Curiosities instead of being right near the top where I’d notice it first thing. I suppose that makes it MORE surprising when I do finally see it?

Anyways, always good to see some mechanical work being done. I realize its still teething and might require some tinkering yet, and will happily wait for continued improvements.

[color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]Thanks![/color]
[color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]We are gathering all feedback from the thread and any tickets to support@failbettergames.com so we can tweak and refine things; thank you for (all of) your feedback![/color]

Oh. Also. Could we please please also have info on when options become Locked. Especially pre-PoSI lots of options are only temporarily available until you reach a certain threshold. It would be a massive help if we could know when that’s going to happen and not miss valuable content accidentally

Related to this, the new hover text is really ugly. Any chance it might be reverted?

I think the hovertext &quotYou unlocked this with Nightmares 5 (you needed 4)&quot is kind of backwards. The whole point of having it, I think, is to display unlock requirements and/or costs; they shouldn’t go in parentheses.

For Qualities, I’d prefer &quotThis requires Nightmares 4 or more (you have 5)&quot. This also shortens the prefix to every hovertext, which even for newbies is just clutter; and if &quotplain English&quot is the goal, it’s good to get rid of the lock/unlock metaphor.

For stat/item requirements, probably &quotThis requires Watchful 70 (you have 83)&quot or &quotThis requires 200 Rats on Strings (you have 3969)&quot. I think the &quotor more&quot is implicit for item counts and stat requirements.
edited by Toper on 6/30/2015

The fact that the first-sentence description of Opportunity Cards is now bolded on hovering - much like the title - means that it’s… harder to distinguish what’s important, I suppose? If the requirement, title and description are all bolded, there’s no variation - they might as well all be unbolded.

Perhaps the unlocked quality colours could be changed from red to - blue? Green? Red implies that you’re missing a requirement.

It’s also a little odd that one can be wearing a bundle of clothing once it’s equipped, I think.
edited by ashdenej on 6/30/2015