PS5 saved game issues

I don’t know if it has something to do with storing the game on external storage with the PS5 (have most of my ps4 games on an external drive), but this has happened to me three days in a row. Save file got corrupted and had to start over. Played for (too long) then saved and exited in a port. Logged back in and my new game was not among my saves (only a few games where I quit out early to try a different captain config). Started over. Played for (way too long). Quit out, did some work, continued my new game. Quit out, ate some food, continued my new game. Quit out, read a book, went back and hit continue, but it loaded an older game. Checked my saved games and, again, only my early games were available, not the new one. Cloud saves show a save from this afternoon but it, too, has only older saves. I give up!
edited by homerduo on 6/29/2021

This happened again with a corrupted save (&quotsomething went wrong&quot as it autosaved). Would’ve lost about 2 days of playing had I not backed up my save to a USB drive. I understand it’s your desire that the game be played in a particular way, but when catastrophic failure is a possibility (and for me, it has happened twice five days) it might be time to provide another option for the benefit of your customers’ time and sanity?
edited by homerduo on 7/3/2021

[color=#6666ff]Hi there,

I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve experienced this issue! I can only apologies.

Unfortunately it’s not something that we or our porting company’s QA team have been able to reproduce, but we are continuing to investigate. Our porting company is also working on a build which will introduce some fail-safes and a back-up save file system which should prevent the happening should you experience a crash.

Unfortunately I don’t have a release date for this build but we’ll get it out as soon as possible. In the meantime it might help our investigations if you could send us your save files. You can copy them to a USB stick and then transfer them to your PC to forward them on to us at skies@failbettergames.com. Steps for putting them on USB are below:

1. Insert the USB into the PS5
2. Go to Settings
3. Select Application Saved Data Management > Saved Data in System Storage > Copy to USB Storage Device
4. Select Sunless Skies from the list
5. Ensure the checkbox is ticked
6. Select Copy
7. Wait for the transfer to finish
8. You can then zip up the PS4 folder on your USB and attach to an email to us

There’s a few other bits of information that would help us too:

Storage space
1. Go to Settings > System Storage
2. Please make a note of your used and total GB (e.g. 782.3 / 861.4 GB) and let us know what it is

Software Version
1. Go to Settings > System > System Information
2. Please make a note of your System Software version (e.g. 8.50) and let us know

Sunless Skies errors
1. Go to Settings > System > Error History
2. Unfortunately you’ll need to select each entry to open it. If any of the recent ones have an Application number of CUSA20581 (if in the US) or CUSA20561 (if in Europe) then that’s Sunless Skies. It’d useful to know what the message for these errors say.[/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]Many thanks.[/color]
edited by FailbetterFuzz on 7/8/2021

[color=#6666ff]Just wanted to quickly update this. We released a patch on PS4 / PS5 on 9th August with a bunch of updates which should ensure save files no longer corrupt should you experience a crash whilst docking. Details can be found here.[/color]