Professions?

My guess is it will need to be done to advance beyond Glassman to the next tier. I’d guess Glassmen will be given a way to grind up the quality before/when it is unlocked.

An interesting question. I decided it’s a moot issue until the option unlocks, though - the requirements may change at that time.
edited by Pnakotic on 1/4/2015

[color=rgb(213, 212, 212)]I would like to choose a new profession because I have already tried all the basic ones which are available at the lodgings. I’m also a person of some importance already. The problem is that I don’t get suitable profession cards. The Great Game card kept coming regularly when I was not veteran spy and master thief. Now that I am, it seems to have vanished. Trickster from the urchins, or journalist from the bohemians would also be options but these cards haven’t appeared either. Instead, I have sometimes seen criminals, devils, and revolutionaries cards but I don’t have enough connected, nor interest (due to RP reasons) in these professions. Am I just unlucky, or is there a way to make my chances of getting these cards any better (for example through being in a certain location)?[/color]
edited by Mary Ann Allsopp on 1/4/2015

[quote=Mirrorhouse]I think Correspondent is quite good because you get +12 watchful and persuasive. However I have realised that the best thing about Author is Night on the town which is very good for making waves.
Job description-wise though I have to say Glassman seems most interesting to me.
Wonder what the 5th tier professions will be and which 4th tier profession they correspond to…[/quote]

I chose Correspondent for my main character because one of her primary preoccupations is scholarship and writing (especially of the Correspondence). However, there is no present use in the game for the items it gives that I’m aware of.

Honestly, you’re just unlucky. I needed to draw the Bohemians card twice recently (changed from Licentiate to Correspondent) and it took me nearly five days. If you’re already a PoSI, you have another option - spending seven(!) points of Notability will get you Favorable Circumstances, which lets you draw any Connected card (or some other ones, like the Unsigned Message) for free, once only. All of them (besides maybe the Unsigned Message) will probably have shown up several times in the time it takes to get seven points of Notability, so this probably isn’t worth it, but if you’re really desperate it’s an option.

[quote=Zantumall]
Honestly, you’re just unlucky. I needed to draw the Bohemians card twice recently (changed from Licentiate to Correspondent) and it took me nearly five days. [/quote]

A week has almost passed already after I gained my last professional reward, and I really don’t remember when I have seen profession cards any other than criminals, revolutionaries, devils, and once the docks. Criminals card appeared again just after I had posted my message. Maybe it’s a destiny then: because I don’t get anything else, and the criminals are trying to contact me all the time, enforcer should be my new profession ::. Connected: criminals from 7 to 25 then - quite a task. But still I don’t understand the frequency. Those profession cards should appear in standard frequency, so should many other cards. Today I have got some standard frequency cards four or five times but I haven’t seen these profession cards for over a week! Feeling very unlucky :(

[quote=Zantumall]

If you’re already a PoSI, you have another option - spending seven(!) points of Notability will get you Favorable Circumstances, which lets you draw any Connected card (or some other ones, like the Unsigned Message) for free, once only. All of them (besides maybe the Unsigned Message) will probably have shown up several times in the time it takes to get seven points of Notability, so this probably isn’t worth it, but if you’re really desperate it’s an option.[/quote]

I noticed this option but I don’t have any notability, and like you said seven points is quite many. Maybe I’ll just wait - or get connected with criminals, and take enforcer :).
edited by Mary Ann Allsopp on 1/4/2015

It really is just bad luck. I drew Connected: Urchins quite frequently until I had enough ingredients to buy a bucket of snow. Took me a week to see them again.

Besides Favorable Circumstances, is there any other way, or any other prerequisite necessary, to get the Unsigned Message to appear? I’ve been a PoSI for some small time now, and am up to four points of Notability, and have never seen it.
edited by The Midnight Road on 1/4/2015

[quote=The Midnight Road]Besides Favorable Circumstances, is there any other way, or any other prerequisite necessary, to get the Unsigned Message to appear? I’ve been a PoSI for some small time now, and am up to four points of Notability, and have never seen it.
edited by The Midnight Road on 1/4/2015[/quote]

Not that I know of. That card is very rare for some reason.

As I stated before, It’s a matter of luck. Look on the bright side: Sometimes you get really lucky to make up for it. As in, I drew that card twice within a week and advanced from Tier 1 to Tier 3 immediately. RNG giveth, the RNG taketh. And we all weep.

Yeah, I’ve drawn it twice within the last 4 hours, but sometimes I go weeks. That’s the nature of the RNG, alas.

I considered trying to do the Notary switch scam to get lacre today, but then remembered that to become an author again I’d need to write another Extraordinary Short Story, and screw that. :)

Said card has a Very infrequent frequency, which is half the frequency of standard cards.

You can become an author by upgrading from journalist on An Unsigned Message. Scamming IronSacks still requires you to draw An Unsigned Message three times, though, which is kind of a pain.

Ah, I had missed that. I guess I first did the transition before I became notable, so I never saw the option on the card. Good to know.

Honestly, you’re just unlucky. I needed to draw the Bohemians card twice recently (changed from Licentiate to Correspondent) and it took me nearly five days. If you’re already a PoSI, you have another option - spending seven(!) points of Notability will get you Favorable Circumstances, which lets you draw any Connected card (or some other ones, like the Unsigned Message) for free, once only. All of them (besides maybe the Unsigned Message) will probably have shown up several times in the time it takes to get seven points of Notability, so this probably isn’t worth it, but if you’re really desperate it’s an option.[/quote]

there is one other method spacemarine9 suggested if you want to increase your odds of finding a connected card you want. NUKE all other connections you don’t care about, by trading in favors or a few other options that reduce connections, so that connections-related cards you don’t want won’t show up in the deck anymore. i tried it once but regretted it. rebuilding connections take so many actions and time.

Removing connections doesn’t actually remove Connection cards, only conflict cards. That said, conflict cards are responsible for an awful lot of deck clutter if all your connections are high.