Professions

Come, man - this is the 1890s! We can’t all live off the income of our estates - particularly given that most of those estates were presumably left on the Surface, or else there’d be more than mushrooms to eat. Very nice professionals are seen in the finest of company - more often, I’ll grant you, doctors and barristers, rather than rat-catchers, standover-men and police informants, but the point is, times are changing!

Changing for the hoi-poi, perhaps, but this is London’s greatest time of exporting capital. The Empire thrives! I have more than my fair share of monetary endeavors; the trading of secrets at The Overstreet Tea Shoppe has never been more lucrative. But engaging in such debasement as employment? With a salary like a common Clay Man? London may have fallen, but I don’t think it has fallen so low as that!
I’ve always felt early rising and early living led to nervousness and I shall have no part of it.

To be fair, any of us would easily put the greatest Surface men and women to shame. While Darwin expounds on his latest thesis on evolution, I bred an owl capable of eating your thoughts.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Well, I’m piecing together all the Professional information I can find…

Trickster - Urchins or Hell - Loathsome Imp - +2s +2p
Campaigner - Revolutionaries or Church - Feckless Supporters - +2p +2d
Journalist - Bohemians - Little Red Notebook - +2p +2w
Enforcer - Revolutionaries or Criminals - Burly Assistant
Watcher - Constables or Great Game - Revolting Disguise
Rat-Catcher - Docks - Ratting Piece
[/quote]

What categories are they (as in e.g. hat, clothing…)?
If there are any boots with Watchful 2 that’d be awesome. Likewise would clothing with Dangerous 2. Or hats with Shadowy 2, since that would make it better than mask for overall score…

Though I guess I should say they’re awesome even so, at the levels they’re unlocked.
edited by Aximillio on 1/12/2013

[quote=Aximillio][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Well, I’m piecing together all the Professional information I can find…

[/quote]

If there are any boots with Watchful 2 that’d be awesome. Likewise would clothing with Dangerous 2. Or hats with Shadowy 2, since that would make it better than mask for overall score…

Though I guess I should say they’re awesome even so, at the levels they’re unlocked.
edited by Aximillio on 1/12/2013[/quote]

The Imp and the Supporters both showed up as pets. Sadly, I have pets that give me more than a +2 benefit for each of the basic categories except for Persuasive, and I have plenty of +2 pets. I wonder if there will turn out to be other benefits (a special card, perhaps?) to having adopted a Profession.

Currently wavering between being a Watcher in the Game and a Campaigner for the Revolution. Surely, a Gentleman trying to bring Justice to the Neath (or perhaps rule it, as blood demands) ought to ally with the Calendar Council and their agents. But we’ve seen the Great Game also has those trying to swing the balance of power, be it foreign agitants or those who wish to rekindle Empire. A gentleman of Moriarty’s stature, talents, and wealth must be subtle either way, of course. It doesn’t do to agitate too assiduously or clumsily in the wrong company- his kin learned such lessons, just as harshly as poor Alice did. Glory regained is just easily stolen again. Still. Decisions…
edited by friendshipranger on 1/13/2013

i’m going to go rat catcher just so i can add another gun to my lovely collection of guns
It may not be dignified, but to hell with it, neither’s screaming out windows and eating boot polish.

The notion that those of us in Society would recoil from work is ridiculous.

On the contrary! Work fascinates me. I could sit around and watch it for hours.

[quote=Aximillio][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Well, I’m piecing together all the Professional information I can find…

[/quote]

Feckless Supporters are Pets, Little Red Notebook is a Weapon. Revolting Disguise is +2 Shadowy +2 Watchful, Ratting Piece is +2 Watchful +2 Dangerous, so SirFredTC’s speculations on Page 2 should be right.

Loathsome Imps and Burly Assistants should be Pets, Revolting Disguises should be Clothing, and Ratting Pieces should be Weapons, considering their names.

Story-wise, go for whatever your character wants. My character will probably become a Great Game Watcher, since he sided with the Great Game multiple times already.

For stat-capped characters seeking bonuses to their stats, I wouldn’t recommend getting a Profession, because none of the items are better than currently available items in the Bazaar. However, if you do want a Profession, go for a Trickster, Campaigner, Enforcer, or Watcher. Journalists and Rat-Catchers would give items that are worse than the best items in the Bazaar.

Loathsome Imps would be a decent choice, since the biggest bonus you can get from Pets +2 Shadowy and +2 Persuasive. However, there are Fate-locked Pets that grant you +3 Shadowy, so Loathsome Imp isn’t the best choice.
Feckless Supporters would be a decent choice, for similar reasons to the Loathsome Imps. However, you can achieve up to +4 Dangerous using other Pets in the Bazaar, so Feckless Supporters are less recommended.
Little Red Notebooks aren’t recommended. Other weapons in the Bazaar easily outperform it. You can achieve up to +3 Persuasive and +5 Watchful using Weapons from the Bazaar.
Burly Assistants would be a decent choice, because the largest Shadowy bonus available for Pets is +2, but the highest Dangerous achievable is +4.
Revolting Disguises are a decent choice, because the biggest Watchful bonus you can gain from the Bazaar is +2 Watchful. However, you can get up to +3 Shadowy from other clothing in the Bazaar.
Ratting Pieces aren’t recommended. Other weapons in the Bazaar easily outperform it. You can achieve up to +5 Watchful +4 Dangerous using other Weapons from the Bazaar.

[quote=Nagato-01][quote=Aximillio][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Well, I’m piecing together all the Professional information I can find…

[/quote]

Feckless Supporters are Pets, Little Red Notebook is a Weapon. Revolting Disguise is +2 Shadowy +2 Watchful, Ratting Piece is +2 Watchful +2 Dangerous, so SirFredTC’s speculations on Page 2 should be right.

Loathsome Imps and Burly Assistants should be Pets, Revolting Disguises should be Clothing, and Ratting Pieces should be Weapons, considering their names.

Story-wise, go for whatever your character wants. My character will probably become a Great Game Watcher, since he sided with the Great Game multiple times already.

For stat-capped characters seeking bonuses to their stats, I wouldn’t recommend getting a Profession, because none of the items are better than currently available items in the Bazaar. However, if you do want a Profession, go for a Trickster, Campaigner, Enforcer, or Watcher. Journalists and Rat-Catchers would give items that are worse than the best items in the Bazaar.

Loathsome Imps would be a decent choice, since the biggest bonus you can get from Pets +2 Shadowy and +2 Persuasive. However, there are Fate-locked Pets that grant you +3 Shadowy, so Loathsome Imp isn’t the best choice.
Feckless Supporters would be a decent choice, for similar reasons to the Loathsome Imps. However, you can achieve up to +4 Dangerous using other Pets in the Bazaar, so Feckless Supporters are less recommended.
Little Red Notebooks aren’t recommended. Other weapons in the Bazaar easily outperform it. You can achieve up to +3 Persuasive and +5 Watchful using Weapons from the Bazaar.
Burly Assistants would be a decent choice, because the largest Shadowy bonus available for Pets is +2, but the highest Dangerous achievable is +4.
Revolting Disguises are a decent choice, because the biggest Watchful bonus you can gain from the Bazaar is +2 Watchful. However, you can get up to +3 Shadowy from other clothing in the Bazaar.
Ratting Pieces aren’t recommended. Other weapons in the Bazaar easily outperform it. You can achieve up to +5 Watchful +4 Dangerous using other Weapons from the Bazaar.[/quote]

I just switched to Watcher, and the Revolting Disguise shows up in your “hats” slot. It would be good except that the Semiotic Monocle, +4 Watchful, +2 Dangerous, outperforms it on Watchful.

You’re correct about Loathsome Imps and Feckless Supporters counting as pets.

As for Shadowy pets, you can get a bigger bonus if you do the Fate-locked Storylet about breeding critters using the Formula of Empyrean Redolence. The Ocular Toadbeast, which you obtain through those means, is +3 Shadowy.

I get the distinct impression that the Professions items are intended more for people who are under POSI status.

[quote=Catherine Raymond]
I get the distinct impression that the Professions items are intended more for people who are under POSI status.[/quote]

I suspect they are part of the early gameplay revamp because people had complained before about how we can’t actually work our way up as a part of London’s many cliques.

I guess I should go for Watcher, then. Especially since that’s in-character as well. As for the pets, I’d rather just use my owl…

[quote=streetfelineblue]Now, now: Ambition-wise my choice should be the Journalist (Watchful and Persuasive); but it would mean to change all my characters sheets and relinquishing his current career of pragmatic poet for hire. Story-wise I’d like more the Watcher career: he’s already a part-time spy, nothing bad in making a secondary profession out of it ^^ But sure the Revolting Disguise is much less appealing than the elegant Little Red Notebook. I’m curious to know if the profession might help you raise the relative Connections: I’ve got plenty of Bohemian and Society, but I could definitely use some Great Game, epsecially considering the initial loss.

I’ve had two different professions tonight.

Revolutionaries–I chose to be a Campaigner. The item is Feckless Supporters: +2 Persuasive, +2 Dangerous.
Urchins–I chose to be a Trickster. The item is a Loathesome Imp: +2 Persuasive, +2 Shadowy.

I don’t know if there are any other benefits to a profession yet.[/quote]

Does anyone know if there are any ill effects from abandoning a Profession?[/quote]

That’s a good question. I can only say that having had 3 different Professions in 24 hours, I have notice no ill effects.

[quote=Byron Man][quote=Catherine Raymond]
I get the distinct impression that the Professions items are intended more for people who are under POSI status.[/quote]

I suspect they are part of the early gameplay revamp because people had complained before about how we can’t actually work our way up as a part of London’s many cliques.[/quote]

That sounds plausible, but whether it’s true may depend on whether new cards show up that are unlocked by various Professions.

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Byron Man][quote=Catherine Raymond]

I suspect they are part of the early gameplay revamp because people had complained before about how we can’t actually work our way up as a part of London’s many cliques.[/quote]

That sounds plausible, but whether it’s true may depend on whether new cards show up that are unlocked by various Professions.[/quote]

It’ll probably take a few weeks, at the very least. Not everybody would have gotten enough connection points for the Profession of their choice.

Oh, hey, professions seem to give out a weekly reward now.
Pretty significant, too!
Ratcatchers reward:
1250 rats
1 puzzling map
1000 rostygold
1 strong-backed labour
constables + docks connections

costs 5 actions to trade in, but damn

taking 5 actions, I now know what one gets for ‘working’ as a ratcatcher: 1,250 rats on a string, a puzzling map, 1,000 rostygold, a Strong-backed Labour, and a connection boost for Constables and the Docks

Curses, someone managed to post a bit before me! mutter
edited by Andrew Zelinske on 1/16/2013

Journalist offers Connected: Bohemian, 1 Blackmail Material, 2 Nights on the Town, 500 Nevercold Brass, 3 Sworn Statements (Goods, worth 2.5 echoes) and 10 Dubious Testimony (Goods, worth .5 echoes.)

The rewards as a trickster:
You’ve gained
10 x Brilliant Soul
1 x Storm-Threnody
1 x Dazed Raven Advisor
1 x Lucky Weasel
599 x Jade Fragment
1 x Stolen Kiss
1 x Thirsty Bombazine Scrap
5 x Maniac’s Prayer
1 x Broken Giant 1844
Connected: Hell