Privateers everywhere.

There used to be a mechanic for taking a prize of ships and sending them back to port with some of your crew, now it requires (so I understand) that you get the crew of the opposite ship down to a certain level and then get close to board them, but in practise I’ve never managed it because it requires fitting all flensing weapons and then hoping that your ship doesn’t send them down before you get the crew down to manageable levels.

Anyone else missing being a pirate?

And that brings the second question, because there’s pirates and there’s privateers, operating under a letter of marque from one of the ruling powers, that allows them to take prizes of other ships out on the water and send them back to allow their ruling body to ransom them back to the other side, a move that could be used both to influence the area’s of supremacy and also gain notoriety (Khanate suspicion and such) in the doing of it.

Perhaps a system where you could exchange the admiralty favour for a letter of marque?

Personally I think there’s a great trick being missed here, and the idea to go all Master and Commander to the far side of the world is one of great interest, but am I the only one that misses this?
edited by Rocket Heeled Jack on 1/17/2015

I wasn’t even aware such mechanics had been implemented yet. I had wanted to retire my current character and leave such fun and troubles to my Scion so I hope to see the system of privateering and pirating polished before then.

The mechanic has been tested at least at some point by people who edited the game statistics to increase the power of flensing weapons (or lower the damage to hull) who have seen it work.
Also, there are already options to regain prize money from seized ships in Gaider’s Mourn…

[li]

[quote=SouthSea Rutherby]
The mechanic has been tested at least at some point by people who edited the game statistics to increase the power of flensing weapons (or lower the damage to hull) who have seen it work.
Also, there are already options to regain prize money from seized ships in Gaider’s Mourn…[/quote]

Yeah, that requires 1 x Pirates Pleasure…

Not sure I want that in my hold… :)

Has anyone managed to take a ship whole yet?

I’ve known about that for some time, but since no one ever stepped forward and asked me to &quotappropriate&quot any ships or tell me that it was possible I had just assumed that it was for later use.

My guess is that its been put on hold for final updates. The fact that the other factions besides London haven’t really been fully flushed out yet (if indeed they will be or not for release out of beta), the action at Gaider’s Mourn may indicate that there will be multiple avenues for dropping off ships you seize besides just London or the Mourn.

I agree with the Letters of Marque idea, and the fact that there are Privateers working for The New Khanate and the Iron Republic we encounter in-game indicate that there could be opportunities of employment by them (though the Khaganians may not trust Londoners, and the Republican Devils probably prefer their Privateers to be more than a touch insane or under an Infernal Contract than a Letter of Marque.)